Happy 35th, Don Tait!
Brad Mitthouse
2007-06-26 12:48:33 UTC
Congratulations on 35 years of being our constant friend and musical
companion on WFMT!

Looking forward to many more years of superb broadcasting.

Brad
Bill Anderson
2007-06-26 13:45:42 UTC
Yes. Congratulations to Don for his time and efforts over these many
years. For many of us here in Chicago, Don doesn't work at WFMT, he
is WFMT! :-)

For those who have access to the broadcast or over the internet, I
believe Don did most of his own programming for his time slot 10:00 to
3:00. Very interesting stuff for those who appreciate older recordings
and unusual items (Copied out of the WFMT program guide)

_____________

Tuesday, June 26 at 10:00 am

Celebrating Don's 35 years at WFMT with music including
- Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 21 in C, Op 53, Waldstein - Rudolf
Serkin, p. Sony SM3K-64490 (3). [26:15]

Starting 11:00
- Boito Prologue fr Mefistofele - Nicola Moscona, b; Shaw Cho,
Columbus Boychoir, NBC Sym Orch/Arturo Toscanini. RCA 60276-2-RG.
[25:16]

Starting 12:00 after Newscast
- Shostakovich The Age of Gold Suite - Chicago Sym/Leopold Stokowski.
RCA 62516-2. [18:23]
- Copland Old American Songs, Set 1 - William Warfield, br; London Sym/
Aaron Copland. CBS MK-42430. [12:37]
- Copland Appalachian Spring - Boston Sym/Aaron Copland. RCA 61505-2.
[25:23] Satie-Debussy Gymnop�dies No. s 3 & 1 - Boston Sym/Serge
Koussevitzky. Camden CAL-376. [06:56]
- Kathleen Ferrier & Schubert Ferrier talks about what the Edinburgh
Festival meant to her as an introduction to three Schubert songs (Die
junge Nonne, Rosamunde, Du bist die Ruh') from her historic 1949
recital accompanied by Bruno Walter. Decca 593057 (2). [15:55]
- Beethoven Symphony No. 9 in d, Op 125 - Soloists, Cho, Royal
Concertgebouw Orch/Willem Mengelberg. Phi 416205-2. [69:40]
El Klauso
2007-06-26 14:17:47 UTC
Bravo, Don!

May you broadcast the greatest music and performances for 35 more!
David Royko
2007-06-26 14:33:54 UTC
On the Morning Program today, they asked interested listeners to e-
mail messages in honor of Don for the 10:00 AM tribute
(***@wfmt.com). This is what I just sent:

My obsession with classical music began almost 35 years ago, and one
of my first recollections of that time was my father calling me into
the living room to hear Don's inaugural segment of the Stokowski
Legacy. In the years since, Don's presence at WFMT has been hugely
influential for me, from his long-running Collector's Item program to
his recent years hosting the Chicago Symphony Orchestra Retrospective,
holding down the fort with fascinating shows in the years between the
live broadcasts on Sunday afternoons.

He has been the heart, soul, and THE voice of WFMT for my entire adult
life.

BRAVO DON!

Dave Royko
D***@aol.com
2007-06-26 21:33:16 UTC
Post by Bill Anderson
[...]
Thanks, Bill! Actually, after Noon the Shostakovich and Copland
titles were programmed by our Music Director, Andi Lamoreaux. But I
did the rest. (The Serkin was not the stereo remake, which is in the
Sony CD set, but the mono LP from circa 1952, ML 4620.)

Don T.
j***@yahoo.com
2007-06-28 02:12:34 UTC
Don, I'm glad you passed that WFMT announcer's test. We would be all
the poorer if you flubbed L'Orchestre de la Societ� des Concerts du
Conservatoire de Paris thirty-five years ago.

PS. I plan to attend the WFMT studio tour next month -so be sure and
clean up!
D***@aol.com
2007-06-29 22:10:08 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Don, I'm glad you passed that WFMT announcer's test. We would be all
the poorer if you flubbed L'Orchestre de la Societ des Concerts du
Conservatoire de Paris thirty-five years ago.
PS. I plan to attend the WFMT studio tour next month -so be sure and
clean up!
Big story about the audition: that script wasn't even
involved...wahoo, it was much more challenging. Maybe we'll talk, and
I'll tell them to clean up the place!

Don T.
Edward A. Cowan
2007-06-26 15:08:42 UTC
During the ten years (1982-2002) or so when I was able to receive WFMT
via cable at first, and then via satellite (4DTV), I greatly enjoyed
Don Tait's presentations. Since then, the station has vanished from
satellite and I cannot listen any more, something I acutely regret.
Perhaps the station could work out a deal with Sirius Radio? --E.A.C.
Brad
GMS
2007-06-26 15:22:10 UTC
Post by Brad Mitthouse
Congratulations on 35 years of being our constant friend and musical
companion on WFMT!
Looking forward to many more years of superb broadcasting.
Brad
Don! Congratulations for your 35 years with WFMT! Thanks, too, for
your years of friendship! Thank you for introducing me to
Mengelberg's "Les Preludes", Ignaz Friedman's "Songs Without Words",
Percy Grainger, Harold Samuel and Serge Koussevitzky!
Best wishes for everything in your life!

Gary Stucka
Cellist, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
pyochungsa
2007-06-26 21:14:48 UTC
Post by Brad Mitthouse
Congratulations on 35 years of being our constant friend and musical
companion on WFMT!
Looking forward to many more years of superb broadcasting.
Brad
I just would like to thank Don Tait for his always kind comments and
views on so many subjects of RMCR. I hope he will continue to be in
this way exemplary for the high level of critical reflection on
classical recorded music in this group .

All the best,
Tobias
D***@aol.com

Don
Andrew Vingle
2007-06-26 23:15:30 UTC
I also would like to congratulate you on your years of being one of
the most knowledgeable and cordial music hosts, bringing music lovers
fortunate enough to live in the Chicago area a wealth of musical
treasures.

Don, I left late this morning, the traffic from the North 'burbs to
the Loop made me insane; but when your selection of the prologue from
Mefistofele came on, it made my day.

Please continue with your wonderful broadcasts for many more years to
come!

Andy
D***@aol.com
Thank yo
D***@aol.com
2007-06-27 22:37:33 UTC
Post by GMS
Post by Andrew Vingle
I also would like to congratulate you on your years of being one of
the most knowledgeable and cordial music hosts, bringing music lovers
fortunate enough to live in the Chicago area a wealth of musical
treasures.
Don, I left late this morning, the traffic from the North 'burbs to
the Loop made me insane; but when your selection of the prologue from
Mefistofele came on, it made my day.
Please continue with your wonderful broadcasts for many more years to
come!
Andy
Thank yo
Betrayed again by my idiocy about technology. Sorry, everyone.

Don T.
D***@aol.com
2007-06-27 22:34:44 UTC
Post by Andrew Vingle
I also would like to congratulate you on your years of being one of
the most knowledgeable and cordial music hosts, bringing music lovers
fortunate enough to live in the Chicago area a wealth of musical
treasures.
Don, I left late this morning, the traffic from the North 'burbs to
the Loop made me insane; but when your selection of the prologue from
Mefistofele came on, it made my day.
Please continue with your wonderful broadcasts for many more years to
come!
Andy
Thank you, Andy. The Mefistofele Prologue was one of my choices.
Isn't it wonderful? I'm so glad you liked it. Such a singing line
together with unique cumulative force and power. And it made your
day?!?. Neat. But above all, wasn't it all due to Arturo Toscanini? I
hope so.

Thanks to you and, again, to everyone.

Don Tait
Otterhouse Rolf
2007-06-30 07:40:57 UTC
Post by D***@aol.com
Post by Andrew Vingle
[...]
And thanks for letting people like MOT and Bill share your wonderful
collection!

Greetings,
Rolf