re-Chopin Etudes again
LaVirtuosa
2004-11-06 07:45:09 UTC
Search Result 1
From: Tom Deacon (***@nospam-yahoo.com)
Subject: Re: Chopin Etudes, again!
Original Format
Newsgroups: rec.music.classical.recordings
Date: 2004-11-02 13:14:54 PST
Highly original, indeed. I am rolling on the floor, laughing my ass off.
This can't can't play the piano at all, seriously.
The recording is worth acquiring for structural concepts brought into
clarity
where there is illustrative use of notes often ignored, [10/4] and for
certain
emotional "lessons", if you will. I noticed right away that this was not
the
suave and easy playing of the finely-honed virtuoso. It's as if he were a
teacher demonstrating a point.
Tome Deacon wrote,

"One might look at it that way, of course. I react differently. I just hear
him clarifying various musical ideas embedded in the text and find those
clarifications - you mentioned one, Op. 10 No. 4, but there are countless
others, of course - highly interesting. I cut my teeth on these pieces and
stopped acquiring new versions when I got to around 60. Certainly these are
not technical marvels. Far from that. Which is why I would stress the
musical value of the experience. For technical perfection, you only have to
buy the Pollini, which, incidentally, is a completely manufactured recording
made of of little bits and pieces of tape. When the master goes by on the
machine, you never stop seeing little bits of editing tape. I heard
Ashkenazy do all 24 in the early 1960s and it was both flawless and very,
very smooth, indeed. Today, I doubt very much that he could get through one
book unscathed.

The Skavronsky performance IS a performance, given by a man in his 70s
before a real audience. I don't know about you, Val, but when I turn 70 I
really don't think I shall be giving any demonstrations of these 27 etudes
that even come close to what you hear on this CD. Some teacher! As for Mr.
Lemken, well, there is hardly much to say about someone so deaf to music. Of
course, after listening to Igor Zhukov for a good while he has probably
suffered irreversible damage to his hearing."

Actually, it is virtuosic. It is genuine musicianship. I'm going to give one
of these cd's to my piano teacher for Christmas He will appreciate the
substance in these interpretations. I wasn't putting the recording down, just
suggesting that pyrotechnics is not placed in the forefront here. Nothing is
made into a stunt, and, you will have to admit, there are some opportunities in
the Chopin Etudes to really fly. Not in sheer velocity, but in daring. But I
find Skavronsky superior to everyone who has gone through my cd player from the
standpoint of maturity and rightness.

**************Val
Tom Deacon
2004-11-06 14:43:09 UTC
Post by LaVirtuosa
Actually, it is virtuosic. It is genuine musicianship. I'm going to give one
of these cd's to my piano teacher for Christmas He will appreciate the
substance in these interpretations. I wasn't putting the recording down, just
suggesting that pyrotechnics is not placed in the forefront here. Nothing is
made into a stunt, and, you will have to admit, there are some opportunities
in the Chopin Etudes to really fly. Not in sheer velocity, but in daring. But
I find Skavronsky superior to everyone who has gone through my cd player from
the standpoint of maturity and rightness.
In my opinion virtuosity comprises all aspects of making music and not
merely the acrobatic ability to encompass all the notes in a specific period
of time.

You are right, Val. Nothing is a stunt here. The points made are, for me at
least, mostly of a musical nature, with LH features popping out of this
seemingly RH music. And lots and lots of magnificent moments of textural
clarity and balance to be enjoyed by those who know these pieces from the
inside out. Schnabel could have learned something about Chopin's music from
this playing, he who thought Chopin only wrote for the RH!!!!

Anyway, I am pleased that you have enjoyed these performances. They have
intrigued me.

Incidentally, if you listen to Slesarev, also on the same site, you will
hear a much less interesting pianist. And he hasn't discovered his LH yet, I
think.

TD
arri bachrach
2004-11-07 00:14:22 UTC
Post by Tom Deacon
least, mostly of a musical nature, with LH features popping out of this
seemingly RH music. And lots and lots of magnificent moments of textural
clarity and balance to be enjoyed by those who know these pieces from the
inside out. Schnabel could have learned something about Chopin's music from
this playing, he who thought Chopin only wrote for the RH!!!!
Anyway, I am pleased that you have enjoyed these performances. They have
intrigued me.
TD
you seem to be so taken by his playing..... why was he not included
in the GPOC :-))

AB
Alan Watkinsuk
2004-11-07 00:54:51 UTC
Perhaps he had not heard it then? Or he was not signed up, being only a
Professor? Who do you think taught all those people you are listening to? The
pupils are frequently more famous than the Professors.

It would be like saying that, in the Dvorak Slavonic Dances, that Szell could
hold a candle to Altrichter. Which he can't.

Mr Szell does not get anywhere NEAR them but is a lot more famous than Mr
Altrichter.

As Americans would say: go figure.

Kind regards,
Alan M. Watkins
Dan Koren

dk
Tom Deacon
2004-11-07 15:04:49 UTC
Post by Tom Deacon
least, mostly of a musical nature, with LH features popping out of this
seemingly RH music. And lots and lots of magnificent moments of textural
clarity and balance to be enjoyed by those who know these pieces from the
inside out. Schnabel could have learned something about Chopin's music from
this playing, he who thought Chopin only wrote for the RH!!!!
Anyway, I am pleased that you have enjoyed these performances. They have
intrigued me.
TD
you seem to be so taken by his playing..... why was he not included
in the GPOC :-))
Greatness has not yet descended upon Skavronsky, Arri.

Moreover, by 1997 the pianists included in that project were already chipped
in stone, as it were.

TD
LaVirtuosa
2004-11-08 06:39:07 UTC
Post by Tom Deacon
upon Skavronsky, Arri.
Is he still alive? I think he should have a stiff drink and do some Goyescas.
[Two stiff drinks for Los Requiebros].

***************Val
Dan Koren
2004-11-08 21:33:51 UTC
Post by LaVirtuosa
Post by Tom Deacon
upon Skavronsky, Arri.
Is he still alive? I think he should have a stiff drink and do some Goyescas.
[Two stiff drinks for Los Requiebros].
Russian attempts at Spanish piano music have not
been overwhelmingly successful so far. Rather
unidiomatic, one would say.

dk
Tom Deacon
2004-11-09 00:58:42 UTC
On 11/8/04 4:33 PM, in article
Post by Dan Koren
Post by LaVirtuosa
Post by Tom Deacon
upon Skavronsky, Arri.
Is he still alive? I think he should have a stiff drink and do some Goyescas.
[Two stiff drinks for Los Requiebros].
Russian attempts at Spanish piano music have not
been overwhelmingly successful so far. Rather
unidiomatic, one would say.
Indeed.

I would, in fact, have loved to be able to scan the little black book of
available recital programmes from SR to see if the complete Iberia figured
anywhere.

I doubt it.

No feeling for local colour.

TD
Dan Koren

dk
LaVirtuosa
2004-11-09 06:48:44 UTC
Subject: Re: re-Chopin Etudes again
Date: 11/8/04 6:58 PM Central Standard Time
On 11/8/04 4:33 PM, in article
Post by Dan Koren
Post by LaVirtuosa
Post by Tom Deacon
upon Skavronsky, Arri.
Is he still alive? I think he should have a stiff drink and do some Goyescas.
[Two stiff drinks for Los Requiebros].
Russian attempts at Spanish piano music have not
been overwhelmingly successful so far. Rather
unidiomatic, one would say.
Indeed.
I would, in fact, have loved to be able to scan the little black book of
available recital programmes from SR to see if the complete Iberia figured
anywhere.
I doubt it.
No feeling for local colour.
TD
Oh, I was only referring to his very good left hand, which is absolutely
necessary for Goyescas.

***********Val

LaVirtuosa
2004-11-07 05:49:20 UTC
Post by Tom Deacon
Incidentally, if you listen to Slesarev, also on the same site, you will
hear a much less interesting pianist. And he hasn't discovered his LH yet, I
think.
I did. I've been in discussion with a wise pianist friend who also believes in
allowing the left-hand compositional underpinnings of Chopn's music to show
through. I had mentioned the prevailing idea that the audience can only listen
for the top line. Maybe that's true, evidenced by the way this discussion has
developed. Anyway, he advised to play it the right way, not to humor the
audience by making the top line totally dominant.