Rudolf Albert and the Paris cento soli orchestra
Otterhouse Rolf
2008-02-18 12:11:43 UTC
Hello all,

Never Heard of "Rudolf Albert" before, but behind me, he gives a
splendid performance of Tschaikovski's 4th symphony! Does anyone know
more about this conductor? Does anyone know when this was recorded?

Greetings,
Rolf
david gideon
2008-02-18 15:08:53 UTC
In article
Post by Otterhouse Rolf
Hello all,
Never Heard of "Rudolf Albert" before, but behind me, he gives a
splendid performance of Tschaikovski's 4th symphony! Does anyone know
more about this conductor? Does anyone know when this was recorded?
This is an excellent 4th; we released it, but withdrew our transfer
when it came out as one of a series of Accord CDs from France. Albert
would later come to be known as Rudolf Alberth, and did a lot of work
with Munich Radio. Several of his recordings (licensed from the Club
Francais du Disque) appeared in the US on Omega, Nonesuch, etc. These
included a Tchaikovsky 6, Mozart Piano Concertos with Paul von
Schilhawsky, Roussel, Stravinsky, and more. Most of these were recorded
in the late 1950s by the Club Francais, either in Munich or in Paris.
There are quite a few Albert reissues in the Accord series, and they
are uniformly worthwhile.

This is the bio I used for our Albert release; it was pretty much
lifted from the Omega Stravinsky recording:

Born at Frankfurt-am-Main in 1918, Rudolf Albert studied composition
and counterpoint at the Conservatory there, and led the student
orchestra. He made his professional debut as assistant conductor at
Radio Frankfurt in 1945, and moved on in 1948 to direct the
Sudwestrundfunk Orchestra at Baden. Since 1949 he has been director of
the symphony orchestra at Radio Munich, and has appeared as guest
conductor at international festivals in Italy, Switzerland, Australia,
and France.

In Paris he conducted the famed Orchestre National of Radiodiffusion
Française in the premiere of Messaien's controversial "Turangalia"
Symphony, and later brought this work to Munich for the Musica Viva
concerts, and to Vienna and Turin. In 1952 he conducted the world
premiere of the ballet "The Idiot" by the important young German
composer Hans Werner Henze at the Vienna Biennale, appearing at that
time with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. In addition to his
services to contemporary music, he won acclaim at the famous Mozart
Festival performance of "Cosi fan Tutte", in the Petit Trianon at
Versailles.

According to international critics, "Rudolf Albert is one of the most
remarkable talents of the younger generation of European conductors."
--
CD issues of long-unavailable classic performances from Scherchen, Stokowski,
Paray, Steinberg, and more, exclusively from: http://www.rediscovery.us
Free downloads and podcast: http://www.rediscoverypodcast.us
Otterhouse Rolf
2008-02-18 20:49:17 UTC
Post by david gideon
In article
Post by Otterhouse Rolf
[...]
Thanks for the info... I now have 1961 as recording date.
If people find it second hand, buy the LP! (or the Accord cd)

Rolf
Lawrence Chalmers
2008-02-19 19:14:08 UTC
Wasn't there a Petrouchka with same orch/conductor on a label called
Omega Stereo Discs in the early days of stereo?
It was, IMO, one of the best performances
ever, clear, transparent and plenty of
body. I never saw these Omega discs anywhere else beside the store I
then worked at (Allied Radio in Chicago).
Paul Goldstein
2008-02-19 20:33:44 UTC
In article <4630-47BB2A80-***@storefull-3114.bay.webtv.net>, Lawrence Chalmers
says...
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Wasn't there a Petrouchka with same orch/conductor on a label called
Omega Stereo Discs in the early days of stereo?
It was, IMO, one of the best performances
ever, clear, transparent and plenty of
body. I never saw these Omega discs anywhere else beside the store I
then worked at (Allied Radio in Chicago).
Yes, there was. I have a used copy that I mean to clean up and play sometime
soon.
david gideon
2008-02-19 23:14:59 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Wasn't there a Petrouchka with same orch/conductor on a label called
Omega Stereo Discs in the early days of stereo?
It was, IMO, one of the best performances
ever, clear, transparent and plenty of
body.
It still is...

http://www.amazon.fr/Pétrouchka-Sacre-printemps-igor-stravinski/dp/B000F
G5PKO
g***@gmail.com
2017-03-25 08:40:50 UTC
Post by david gideon
In article
Post by Otterhouse Rolf
Hello all,
Never Heard of "Rudolf Albert" before, but behind me, he gives a
splendid performance of Tschaikovski's 4th symphony! Does anyone know
more about this conductor? Does anyone know when this was recorded?
This is an excellent 4th; we released it, but withdrew our transfer
when it came out as one of a series of Accord CDs from France. Albert
would later come to be known as Rudolf Alberth, and did a lot of work
with Munich Radio. Several of his recordings (licensed from the Club
Francais du Disque) appeared in the US on Omega, Nonesuch, etc. These
included a Tchaikovsky 6, Mozart Piano Concertos with Paul von
Schilhawsky, Roussel, Stravinsky, and more. Most of these were recorded
in the late 1950s...
According to the following:

- The hidden gem among the French recordings is that of the now-forgotten Orchestre des Cento Soli, conducted by the equally obscure Rudolf Albert, laid down courtesy of “Classics Jazz France,” in 1956; it’s an insistent, urgent reading, suavely phrased and crisply articulated. Who knew?

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-rite-stuff
coppinsuk
2017-03-25 19:43:24 UTC
Post by Otterhouse Rolf
Hello all,
Never Heard of "Rudolf Albert" before, but behind me, he gives a
splendid performance of Tschaikovski's 4th symphony! Does anyone know
more about this conductor? Does anyone know when this was recorded?
Greetings,
Rolf
Very good to see that David Gideon is still kicking around (active) - greetings from Douglas in the UK. Very much missing your active participation in the ReDiscovery label. You definitely made a major major contribution to discoverying the forgotten by-ways of lesser known artists and labels. Such a pity that you are not continuing to add more material to the catalogue. Very sorely missed. Thank you.

Thanks also to Rolf for also researching and contributing to this genre.

Cheers,

Douglas (UK)
Lawrence Chalmers
2017-03-25 20:54:28 UTC
Post by Otterhouse Rolf
Hello all,
Never Heard of "Rudolf Albert" before, but behind me, he gives a
splendid performance of Tschaikovski's 4th symphony! Does anyone know
more about this conductor? Does anyone know when this was recorded?
Greetings,
Rolf
Too bad there isn't (far as I know) a collection of his works with Cento Soli Orchestra
(pseudonym?) and other orchestras...