Downloaded album being removed...
Add Reply
Todd M. McComb
2024-09-25 20:54:41 UTC
This is a subject more about the "recordings" aspect per se, and
relatively independent of the "classical" part of the topic here.

So I got an email notice from Qobuz today telling me that an album
I'd bought would be removed from their system next month, and I
wouldn't be able to download it again. (I already have it downloaded,
and backed up, and wasn't thinking of downloading it again, but....)
The notice said this was due to copyright.

Ok, so this is the album (Dufay songs from Ensemble Gilles Binchois):

http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/evi082.htm

It was released in 2021, so a relatively new album. And the label
was associated with Harmonia Mundi distribution, which is apparently
in some sort of limbo, and may have driven this situation somehow....
But I can only guess.

I also haven't purchased for download enough albums to have a real
sample size for appraising how often this happens. For instance,
is the entire Evidence Classics catalog being removed? But this
does -- potentially -- illustrate the difference between download
& streaming, as with the former situation I am both notified (!) &
have the music on a hard drive anyway....

And then what happens with a situation like this if one's "downloaded"
music remains on the cloud and/or in the app of a similar commercial
service? Is it deleted (yet)?
DeepBlue
2024-10-13 08:02:13 UTC
Post by Todd M. McComb
This is a subject more about the "recordings" aspect per se, and
relatively independent of the "classical" part of the topic here.
So I got an email notice from Qobuz today telling me that an album
I'd bought would be removed from their system next month, and I
wouldn't be able to download it again. (I already have it downloaded,
and backed up, and wasn't thinking of downloading it again, but....)
The notice said this was due to copyright.
http://www.medieval.org/emfaq/cds/evi082.htm
Is this it?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAQMiGRk9UzyQZaiThem4SQJagPEmDg5M

Cheers!