The Chung Trio
tomdeacon
2006-07-30 14:25:44 UTC
Listening recently to recordings of the Chung Trio.

My library holds the following items:

EMI:

Tchaikovsky A minor and Shostakovich Trio No. 1, pub. 1989
Beethoven Nos 1 & 5, pub.1993
Beethoven Nos 4 & 7, pub.1994

DECCA:

Dvorak Op. 1 & 3, pub. 1989
Mendelssohn No. 1 & Brahms No. 1, pub. 1995

Is this the sum total of their work on CD?

Curious that they didn't finish the Beethoven trios for EMI, I would
think.

Also, we know of Kyung Wha's work, and also Myung Whun's as a
conductor.

But has anyone heard of Myung Wha Chung as a solo cellist? Or does she
only appear with her brother and sister on occasion. She seems a more
than capable cellist.

TD
Steven de Mena
2006-07-30 18:41:39 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Listening recently to recordings of the Chung Trio.
Tchaikovsky A minor and Shostakovich Trio No. 1, pub. 1989
Beethoven Nos 1 & 5, pub.1993
Beethoven Nos 4 & 7, pub.1994
Dvorak Op. 1 & 3, pub. 1989
Mendelssohn No. 1 & Brahms No. 1, pub. 1995
Is this the sum total of their work on CD?
Tom,

There is also:

1989 EMI recording of Tchaikovsky Piano Trio in A minor and Shostakovich
Piano Trio No.1 in C minor. [at HMV Japan for about $10]
1994 EMI recording of Beethoven's "Archduke" Trio, Op.97 and Trio for
clarinet (or violin), cello & piano No. 4 in B flat major ("Gassenhauer"),
Op. 11
1997 DG recording of Beethoven's Triple Concerto, with Myung-Whun also
conducting (Philharmonia Orchestra)

Steve
tomdeacon
2006-07-30 20:19:51 UTC
Post by Steven de Mena
Post by tomdeacon
Listening recently to recordings of the Chung Trio.
Tchaikovsky A minor and Shostakovich Trio No. 1, pub. 1989
Beethoven Nos 1 & 5, pub.1993
Beethoven Nos 4 & 7, pub.1994
Dvorak Op. 1 & 3, pub. 1989
Mendelssohn No. 1 & Brahms No. 1, pub. 1995
Is this the sum total of their work on CD?
Tom,
1989 EMI recording of Tchaikovsky Piano Trio in A minor and Shostakovich
Piano Trio No.1 in C minor. [at HMV Japan for about $10]
1994 EMI recording of Beethoven's "Archduke" Trio, Op.97 and Trio for
clarinet (or violin), cello & piano No. 4 in B flat major ("Gassenhauer"),
Op. 11
I think these are identical to the EMI discs noted above, Steve.
Post by Steven de Mena
1997 DG recording of Beethoven's Triple Concerto, with Myung-Whun also
conducting (Philharmonia Orchestra)
Yes, I saw that too, but didn't list it as it isn't really "chamber
music".

TD
Steven de Mena
2006-07-30 20:29:30 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Steven de Mena
Post by tomdeacon
Listening recently to recordings of the Chung Trio.
Tchaikovsky A minor and Shostakovich Trio No. 1, pub. 1989
Beethoven Nos 1 & 5, pub.1993
Beethoven Nos 4 & 7, pub.1994
Dvorak Op. 1 & 3, pub. 1989
Mendelssohn No. 1 & Brahms No. 1, pub. 1995
Is this the sum total of their work on CD?
Tom,
1989 EMI recording of Tchaikovsky Piano Trio in A minor and Shostakovich
Piano Trio No.1 in C minor. [at HMV Japan for about $10]
1994 EMI recording of Beethoven's "Archduke" Trio, Op.97 and Trio for
clarinet (or violin), cello & piano No. 4 in B flat major
("Gassenhauer"),
Op. 11
I think these are identical to the EMI discs noted above, Steve.
Ack, I guess I wasn't paying attention. Do you like the Tchaikovsky?

Steve
tomdeacon
2006-07-30 22:00:23 UTC
Post by Steven de Mena
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Steven de Mena
Post by tomdeacon
Listening recently to recordings of the Chung Trio.
Tchaikovsky A minor and Shostakovich Trio No. 1, pub. 1989
Beethoven Nos 1 & 5, pub.1993
Beethoven Nos 4 & 7, pub.1994
Dvorak Op. 1 & 3, pub. 1989
Mendelssohn No. 1 & Brahms No. 1, pub. 1995
Is this the sum total of their work on CD?
Tom,
1989 EMI recording of Tchaikovsky Piano Trio in A minor and Shostakovich
Piano Trio No.1 in C minor. [at HMV Japan for about $10]
1994 EMI recording of Beethoven's "Archduke" Trio, Op.97 and Trio for
clarinet (or violin), cello & piano No. 4 in B flat major
("Gassenhauer"),
Op. 11
I think these are identical to the EMI discs noted above, Steve.
Ack, I guess I wasn't paying attention. Do you like the Tchaikovsky?
Just listened to the Tchaikovsky, Steve.

VERY murky sound. As though they had put a blanket over the piano.

The Beethovens are much better recorded.

TD
Steven de Mena
2006-07-30 22:06:13 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Steven de Mena
Ack, I guess I wasn't paying attention. Do you like the Tchaikovsky?
Just listened to the Tchaikovsky, Steve.
VERY murky sound. As though they had put a blanket over the piano.
The Beethovens are much better recorded.
TD
I like the Argerich/Kremer/Maisky on DG.

Steve
w***@hotmail.com
2006-07-30 20:35:15 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Listening recently to recordings of the Chung Trio.
Tchaikovsky A minor and Shostakovich Trio No. 1, pub. 1989
Beethoven Nos 1 & 5, pub.1993
Beethoven Nos 4 & 7, pub.1994
Dvorak Op. 1 & 3, pub. 1989
Mendelssohn No. 1 & Brahms No. 1, pub. 1995
Is this the sum total of their work on CD?
Curious that they didn't finish the Beethoven trios for EMI, I would
think.
Also, we know of Kyung Wha's work, and also Myung Whun's as a
conductor.
But has anyone heard of Myung Wha Chung as a solo cellist? Or does she
only appear with her brother and sister on occasion. She seems a more
than capable cellist.
TD
Yes, I am afraid that's all. Too bad, because they did a great job,
especially in the Dvorak trios. I wonder if Kyung Wha Chung is still
concertizing? There were times that she played a lot, but I haven't
heard from her for a long time!

W.
Steve Emerson
2006-07-30 20:52:30 UTC
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Yes, I am afraid that's all. Too bad, because they did a great job,
especially in the Dvorak trios. I wonder if Kyung Wha Chung is still
concertizing? There were times that she played a lot, but I haven't
heard from her for a long time!
She was in San Francisco in the fall of 2003, performing with Philip
Moll, piano. Schumann VS 1 & 2, both wonderful; Bach solo sonata 2,
non-wonderful.

SE.
tomdeacon
2006-07-30 22:02:21 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Yes, I am afraid that's all. Too bad, because they did a great job,
especially in the Dvorak trios. I wonder if Kyung Wha Chung is still
concertizing? There were times that she played a lot, but I haven't
heard from her for a long time!
She was in San Francisco in the fall of 2003, performing with Philip
Moll, piano. Schumann VS 1 & 2, both wonderful; Bach solo sonata 2,
non-wonderful.
Well, not HIP, so probably too "romantic" for your tastes.

Weird programme, though.

I have a feeling that Chung is raising a family. Could be wrong, but
perhaps she isn't one of those career violinists, like Mullova, or Ida
Haendel.

TD
Steven de Mena
2006-07-30 22:06:47 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Yes, I am afraid that's all. Too bad, because they did a great job,
especially in the Dvorak trios. I wonder if Kyung Wha Chung is still
concertizing? There were times that she played a lot, but I haven't
heard from her for a long time!
She was in San Francisco in the fall of 2003, performing with Philip
Moll, piano. Schumann VS 1 & 2, both wonderful; Bach solo sonata 2,
non-wonderful.
Well, not HIP, so probably too "romantic" for your tastes.
Weird programme, though.
I have a feeling that Chung is raising a family. Could be wrong, but
perhaps she isn't one of those career violinists, like Mullova, or Ida
Haendel.
TD
Yes, she concertizes less to spend more time with her two sons.

Steve
Steve Emerson
2006-07-30 23:14:26 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Yes, I am afraid that's all. Too bad, because they did a great job,
especially in the Dvorak trios. I wonder if Kyung Wha Chung is still
concertizing? There were times that she played a lot, but I haven't
heard from her for a long time!
She was in San Francisco in the fall of 2003, performing with Philip
Moll, piano. Schumann VS 1 & 2, both wonderful; Bach solo sonata 2,
non-wonderful.
Well, not HIP, so probably too "romantic" for your tastes.
I wonder who it is that Tom confuses me with.

I've never stated a preference for HIP, nor do I have one, nor is HIP a
preoccupation of mine one way or the other. Google reveals that of my c.
2700 posts to this ng, 19 include the word "HIP."

SE.
tomdeacon
2006-07-31 01:56:38 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Yes, I am afraid that's all. Too bad, because they did a great job,
especially in the Dvorak trios. I wonder if Kyung Wha Chung is still
concertizing? There were times that she played a lot, but I haven't
heard from her for a long time!
She was in San Francisco in the fall of 2003, performing with Philip
Moll, piano. Schumann VS 1 & 2, both wonderful; Bach solo sonata 2,
non-wonderful.
Well, not HIP, so probably too "romantic" for your tastes.
I wonder who it is that Tom confuses me with.
I've never stated a preference for HIP, nor do I have one, nor is HIP a
preoccupation of mine one way or the other. Google reveals that of my c.
2700 posts to this ng, 19 include the word "HIP."
Not a confusion. Just a general impression from people here that HIP is
"the way to go" in Bach.

I am so very happy that you aren't a member of the earth shoes and
cruntchy granola faction, Steve. But I do have to wonder what Madame
Chung did in her Bach sonata to make you so unhappy. Personally, I
would have loved to hear her play solo Bach. Much prefered that to
Schumann, quite frankly. The Bach is great music, the Schumann much
less great.

TD
Vaneyes
2006-07-31 04:13:02 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Post by Steve Emerson
I've never stated a preference for HIP, nor do I have one, nor is HIP a
preoccupation of mine one way or the other....
I am so very happy that you aren't a member of the earth shoes and
cruntchy granola faction, Steve.
Let the record show...most mornings I enjoy a bran flakes/crunchy
granola combo, and I swing both ways re HIP and Mod.

Regards
h***@yahoo.com
2006-07-31 08:28:37 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Personally, I
would have loved to hear her play solo Bach. Much prefered that to
Schumann, quite frankly. The Bach is great music, the Schumann much
less great.
TD
The Schumann sonatas are wonderful pieces much too rarely performed
(and recorded), which is why people think they are not so hot.

So I applaud Chung for playing Schumann, who is also (I suspect) much
closer to her rather volatile musical temperament than Bach.

The last time I was going to see her play (Brahms) she cancelled.

Herman
h***@yahoo.com
2006-07-31 09:01:29 UTC
I forgot to say that I saw / heard the Chung Trio twice in the late
seventies, playing Tchaikovksy and Shostakovich, in a very intense way.

Herman
Al Eisner
2006-08-04 00:10:21 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.com
Post by tomdeacon
Personally, I
would have loved to hear her play solo Bach. Much prefered that to
Schumann, quite frankly. The Bach is great music, the Schumann much
less great.
TD
The Schumann sonatas are wonderful pieces much too rarely performed
(and recorded), which is why people think they are not so hot.
So I applaud Chung for playing Schumann, who is also (I suspect) much
closer to her rather volatile musical temperament than Bach.
I attended that same SF concert, and she certainly succeeded in
making those two Schumann sonatas *sound* at least near-great.
I was very pleased with that recital, since those are works I rarely
hear (in line with your explanation)..
--
Al Eisner
San Mateo Co., CA
Steve Emerson
2006-07-31 19:48:52 UTC
Have to modify earlier comments --
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by w***@hotmail.com
Yes, I am afraid that's all. Too bad, because they did a great job,
especially in the Dvorak trios. I wonder if Kyung Wha Chung is still
concertizing? There were times that she played a lot, but I haven't
heard from her for a long time!
She was in San Francisco in the fall of 2003, performing with Philip
Moll, piano. Schumann VS 1 & 2, both wonderful; Bach solo sonata 2,
non-wonderful.
Dimly remembering that the whole first half of this recital had
disappointed, I just looked over some notes made at the time, which
report that the first Schumann was devoid of ensemble feeling and
generally uninteresting; not least because of non-idiomatic playing from
the pianist. Hence a great surprise when the second, post-intermission,
was so strong. There, Chung reminded me of Oistrakh.

The Bach was "boring, thin, and dry, but a fairly exciting and brisk
Presto."

SE.