Trouble at LSO ?
Neil Tingley
2014-02-20 11:09:27 UTC
Private eye's "Lunchtime O' Boulez" is reporting that John Elliot Gardiner punched a trumpet player "hard" during rehearsal after hitting him with a score. This corroborates anecdotes I've heard from players in the Monteverdi Orchestra.

LSO haven't commented further. Doubtless they are wary of yet more bad news with this incident and the Gergiev problem ...
Gerard

And what is "the Gergiev problem"?
Bozo
2014-02-20 12:42:58 UTC
Post by Neil Tingley
Private eye's "Lunchtime O' Boulez" is reporting that John Elliot Gardiner
.... after hitting him with a
score
Thank goodness Gardiner usually doesn't do Bruckner or Mahler !?
John Wiser
2014-02-20 14:49:18 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by Neil Tingley
Private eye's "Lunchtime O' Boulez" is reporting that John Elliot Gardiner
.... after hitting him with a
score
Thank goodness Gardiner usually doesn't do Bruckner or Mahler !?
How d'ye know it wasn't a hardbound B minor Mass?

jdw
Bozo
2014-02-20 17:52:10 UTC
Good point , may have been a Massive blow.
Bill Baldwin
2014-02-21 02:01:25 UTC
Swing and a missa!
Ray Hall
2014-02-21 03:16:56 UTC
Post by Bozo
Post by John Wiser
How d'ye know it wasn't a hardbound B minor Mass?
Good point , may have been a Massive blow.
Or Rachmaninov's The Rock.

Duh .....

Ray Hall, Taree
John Wiser

jdw
2014-02-20 18:24:41 UTC
Post by Neil Tingley
Private eye's "Lunchtime O' Boulez" is reporting that John Elliot Gardiner
punched a trumpet player "hard" during rehearsal after hitting him with a
score. This corroborates anecdotes I've heard from players in the
Monteverdi Orchestra.
LSO haven't commented further. Doubtless they are wary of yet more bad news
with this incident and the Gergiev problem ...
===========
And what is "the Gergiev problem"?
It a train carrying Gergiev leaves Moscow at noon heading directly to
Vienna at 40 mph and another train carrying Zubin Mehta leaves Vienna
at 2:00 PM going 60 mph heading to St. Petersburg, will Gergiev have
enough time to pick up a woman in the dining car before Mehta wants to
conduct Wagner in Israel again?

-Owen, extra points if you can work in Bernstein
whiskynsplash
Only if there's time for Lang Lang to receive the showmanship of Bernstein from Yuja Wang's handjob.
David Fox
2014-02-20 16:34:39 UTC
Post by Neil Tingley
Private eye's "Lunchtime O' Boulez" is reporting that John Elliot
Gardiner punched a trumpet player "hard" during rehearsal after hitting
him with a score. This corroborates anecdotes I've heard from players in
the Monteverdi Orchestra.
LSO haven't commented further. Doubtless they are wary of yet more bad
news with this incident and the Gergiev problem ...
JEG just turned 70. Isn't that a wee bit old to be showing off one's
pugilistic skills? Not that it would have been any more appropriate if he
were 40 years younger, but it is quite strange, especially from someone who
has amassed a long and successful career up until now without having done
anything like this in public before. It makes me wonder if he's suffering
from some relatively new mental and/or physical disorder.

DF
William Sommerwerck
2014-02-20 16:47:26 UTC
Post by David Fox
JEG just turned 70. Isn't that a wee bit old to be showing off one's
pugilistic skills? Not that it would have been any more appropriate
if he were 40 years younger, but it is quite strange, especially from
someone who has amassed a long and successful career up until
now without having done anything like this in public before.
It makes me wonder if he's suffering from some relatively new
mental and/or physical disorder.
Probably old-age crankiness. I know the feeling.

I've heard of worse. Frank Loesser (in)famously slapped a woman during
rehearsal. As far as I know, she did not have him arrested.
Norman Schwartz
"Senator, you're no...." George S. Patton.
John Wiser
2014-02-20 20:34:12 UTC
Post by David Fox
JEG just turned 70. Isn't that a wee bit old to be showing off one's
pugilistic skills? Not that it would have been any more appropriate
if he were 40 years younger, but it is quite strange, especially from
someone who has amassed a long and successful career up until
now without having done anything like this in public before.
It makes me wonder if he's suffering from some relatively new
mental and/or physical disorder.
Probably old-age crankiness. I know the feeling.
I've heard of worse. Frank Loesser (in)famously slapped a woman during rehearsal. As far as I
know, she did not have him arrested.
You think you're cranky? Ha.

jdw
arri bachrach
2014-02-20 20:47:43 UTC
Post by David Fox
JEG just turned 70. Isn't that a wee bit old to be showing off one's
pugilistic skills? Not that it would have been any more appropriate
if he were 40 years younger, but it is quite strange, especially from
someone who has amassed a long and successful career up until
now without having done anything like this in public before.
It makes me wonder if he's suffering from some relatively new
mental and/or physical disorder.
Probably old-age crankiness. I know the feeling.
I've heard of worse. Frank Loesser (in)famously slapped a woman during rehearsal. As far as I
know, she did not have him arrested.
You think you're cranky? Ha.
jdw
is better than being a crank.

AB
John Wiser
2014-02-20 20:51:17 UTC
Post by David Fox
JEG just turned 70. Isn't that a wee bit old to be showing off one's
pugilistic skills? Not that it would have been any more appropriate
if he were 40 years younger, but it is quite strange, especially from
someone who has amassed a long and successful career up until
now without having done anything like this in public before.
It makes me wonder if he's suffering from some relatively new
mental and/or physical disorder.
Probably old-age crankiness. I know the feeling.
I've heard of worse. Frank Loesser (in)famously slapped a woman during rehearsal. As far as I
know, she did not have him arrested.
You think you're cranky? Ha.
jdw
is better than being a crank.
Like your sweet self, Arro?

jdw
Bob Lombard
2014-02-20 20:56:35 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by David Fox
someone who has amassed a long and successful career up until
now without having done anything like this in public before.
It makes me wonder if he's suffering from some relatively new
mental and/or physical disorder.
Probably old-age crankiness. I know the feeling.
I've heard of worse. Frank Loesser (in)famously slapped a woman
during rehearsal. As far as I
Post by William Sommerwerck
know, she did not have him arrested.
You think you're cranky? Ha.
jdw
is better than being a crank.
Like your sweet self, Arro?
jdw
It would be good to still /have/ a crank worth the name.

bl

---
John Wiser
2014-02-20 21:02:46 UTC
Post by Bob Lombard
Post by John Wiser
Post by David Fox
someone who has amassed a long and successful career up until
now without having done anything like this in public before.
It makes me wonder if he's suffering from some relatively new
mental and/or physical disorder.
Probably old-age crankiness. I know the feeling.
I've heard of worse. Frank Loesser (in)famously slapped a woman
during rehearsal. As far as I
Post by William Sommerwerck
know, she did not have him arrested.
You think you're cranky? Ha.
jdw
is better than being a crank.
Like your sweet self, Arro?
jdw
It would be good to still /have/ a crank worth the name.
The witch that came (the withered hag)
To wash the steps with pail and rag
Was once the beauty Abishag,

The picture pride of Hollywood.
Too many fall from great and good
For you to doubt the likelihood.

Die early and avoid the fate.
Or if predestined to die late,
Make up your mind to die in state.

Make the whole stock exchange your own!
If need be occupy a throne,
Where nobody can call you crone.

Some have relied on what they knew,
Others on being simply true.
What worked for them might work for you.

No memory of having starred
Atones for later disregard
Or keeps the end from being hard.

Better to go down dignified
With boughten friendship at your side
Than none at all. Provide, provide!

--Robert Frost
c***@runbox.com
2014-02-20 16:51:15 UTC
This is Private Eye mag, don't forget. Always very entertaining but often wildly inaccurate.

They love storms in teacups and you shouldn't take this story too literally.
Oscar
Jeggy has always had a hot temper.
John Wiser
2014-02-20 20:36:09 UTC
Post by Oscar
Post by David Fox
JEG just turned 70. Isn't that a wee bit old to be showing off one's
pugilistic skills? Not that it would have been any more appropriate if he
were 40 years younger, but it is quite strange, especially from someone who
has amassed a long and successful career up until now without having done
anything like this in public before. It makes me wonder if he's suffering
from some relatively new mental and/or physical disorder.
Jeggy has always had a hot temper.
So what? So did everybody's favorite
Italian-American Kultur hero.
They both got results.

jdw
Bob Lombard
2014-02-20 21:00:11 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Oscar
Post by David Fox
JEG just turned 70. Isn't that a wee bit old to be showing off one's
pugilistic skills? Not that it would have been any more
appropriate if he
were 40 years younger, but it is quite strange, especially from someone who
has amassed a long and successful career up until now without having done
anything like this in public before. It makes me wonder if he's suffering
from some relatively new mental and/or physical disorder.
Jeggy has always had a hot temper.
So what? So did everybody's favorite
Italian-American Kultur hero.
They both got results.
jdw
Allowing one's temper to get hot is bad for the digestion. One should
throw the punch while still calm.

bl

---
Oscar
2014-02-20 21:16:30 UTC
Post by Oscar
Jeggy has always had a hot temper.
So what? So did everybody's favorite Italian-American Kultur hero.
Al Pacino as Tony Montana (Scarface)??

"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up reeel nice."
John Wiser
2014-02-20 21:49:15 UTC
Post by Oscar
Post by Oscar
Jeggy has always had a hot temper.
So what? So did everybody's favorite Italian-American Kultur hero.
Al Pacino as Tony Montana (Scarface)??
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up reeel nice."
I assume this is cinema.
After seeing seen four movies in sixty years
I have come to think the medium sucks.
If I want to be manipulated
I can always wank.
What a sorry asshole you are.

jdw
Willem Orange
But do you still like to watch older films from the 30s and 40s????
John Wiser
No.
2014-02-20 22:32:41 UTC
Post by John Wiser
Post by Oscar
Post by Oscar
Jeggy has always had a hot temper.
So what? So did everybody's favorite Italian-American Kultur hero.
Al Pacino as Tony Montana (Scarface)??
"I kill a communist for fun, but for a green card, I gonna carve him up reeel nice."
I assume this is cinema.
After seeing seen four movies in sixty years
I have come to think the medium sucks.
Four in sixty years -- you oughta be an expert about movies after that.

I'm trying to think of what four movies you've gone to see. Assume one
every ten years before you gave up. Maybe:

"Francis joins the WACS" (1954)
"Viva Las Vegas" (1964)
"The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974)
"Footloose" (1984)

I think if you had passed on "Footloose" in 1984, and went to see
"Amadeus" instead - you might've stretched your frequency out to five
or six over sixty years.

On the other hand, I'm trying to think of a movie, any movie, good
enough to recommend to you to moisten your 60 year drought, and I can't
think of a single one. I can think of several, but not one.
Post by John Wiser
If I want to be manipulated
I can always wank.
What a sorry asshole you are.
You can't wank in the movies anymore - Pee Wee Herman proved that -
ruined his career.

-Owen, who also thinks your original reference was to the former
bandleader of the NBC Symphony.
William Sommerwerck
2014-02-20 23:26:30 UTC
Actually, he's made a... (I just can't say it.)
John Wiser

jdw
Matthew B. Tepper
2014-02-23 00:41:39 UTC
I'm trying to think of what four movies you've [JDW] gone to see. Assume
"Francis joins the WACS" (1954)
"Viva Las Vegas" (1964)
"The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" (1974)
"Footloose" (1984)
He didn't have to go see that first one, because he was in it. They screened
it for him and his co-star, Donald O'Connor.
--
Matthew B. Tepper: WWW, science fiction, classical music, ducks!!
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers.
m***@gmail.com
2014-02-23 15:54:28 UTC
Perhaps JEG is trying to channel J. S. Bach.
Bozo
2014-02-21 12:46:38 UTC
I largely agree, although last 60 I have enjoyed " Lion in Winter " , " Easy Rider ", first 3 "Star Wars " , first " Alien", " Remains of the Day", and " Wild at Heart."
Oscar
2014-02-26 23:36:44 UTC
Jeggy apologized. Wrote an old-fashioned letter to the injured musician.

From Norman Lebrecht's Slipped Disc blog, February 26, 2014:

<< London has been abuzz all week with reports that a well-known conductor allegedly threw a punch at a musician in the London Symphony Orchestra. Details have been printed in a widely-read newssheet. Facebook sites have gone white-hot with past occurrences.

We were interested to find out how the ebullient orchestra responded, the more so since they will be working with the same conductor again before the season is out.

The players, it seems, took a pragmatic view. The conductor was ordered to apologise to the player and the orchestra, which he did. In writing. The letter is being kept on file. Opinion remains divided.
'Incident's over,' said one player, a friend of the conductor's.

'He's been given a yellow card,' said an orchestra source. 'Once more...'

Lucky we live in 2014. These things used to be commonplace. Especially in the LSO.

Remember Josef Krips? >>
Lissa Anderson
2024-02-08 09:32:23 UTC
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>HERE>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴ALL>Movies>ALL>TIME>Save>LINK👉https://co.fastmovies.org
🔴ALL>Movies>ALL>TIME>Save>LINK👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💻ALL>Movies>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org
🔴📱ALL>Movies>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴📺ALL>Movies>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org
🔴📺ALL>Movies>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴✅📺📱💻ALL>Movies>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org
🔴✅📺📱💻ALL>Movies>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>

victoria lisa
2024-02-04 03:56:05 UTC
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅720p✅1080p✅4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

✅WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚CLICK HERE Full HD>720p>1080p>4K💚WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>
👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴ALL>VIDEOS>WATCH>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

[...]

🔴ALL>VIDEOS>WATCH>ᗪOᗯ