Superb Mendelssohn violin concerto by Soyoung Yoon
Dan Koren
2022-11-08 08:14:49 UTC

AB
2022-11-08 19:15:15 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/zWqjg2BMus8
superb?? no........... excellent technique, tone and musicality nothing special..........

AB
Dan Koren
2022-11-08 19:38:48 UTC
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/zWqjg2BMus8
superb?? no........... excellent technique, tone and musicality nothing special..........
Please recommend better alternatives.

Thx
Lawrence Kart

Lawrence Kart
2022-11-08 20:27:43 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/YTEEV-yEtIM
Oops -- make that Hadelich
Herman
2022-11-08 20:37:09 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Hadelich
Great violinist, and this performance has the advantage of a conductor who understands violin playing inside out.
Dan Koren
2022-11-08 20:47:28 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by Lawrence Kart
Hadelich
Great violinist, and this performance has the advantage
of a conductor who understands violin playing inside out.
Are you suggesting Penderecki does not understand violin
playing sufficiently to conduct the Mendelssohn concerto?

What does it exactly mean to say a conductor understands
violin playing -- or not, or more than another conductors?

Don't all conductors conduct violinists all the time? How
is it possible for a conductor to function at all without
understanding violin playing? Please elaborate. Provide
more detail, preferably with examples.

Thanks!

dk
Lawrence Kart

Andy Evans
2022-11-08 22:05:32 UTC
I'm a fan of Hilary Hahn and she usually holds my interest, including here.

The other recording I enjoy is Campoli with Van Beinum. Beautifully elegant playing.

AB
2022-11-08 21:51:44 UTC
Post by Herman
Great violinist, and this performance has the advantage of a conductor who understands violin playing inside out.
how can you tell about the conductor??

AB
Frank Berger
2022-11-08 22:09:07 UTC
Guessing he means the conductor is a violinist. Though I'd prefer understanding up and down to inside out.
Herman
2022-11-09 01:55:12 UTC
bingo
Herman
2022-11-09 01:53:39 UTC
it's the guy not holding an instrument.
Herman
2022-11-09 02:01:21 UTC
The Mendelssohn, together with the Bruch are the two violin concertos every violin student plays from start to finish by the time they're doing their exam so one can take it the conductor has played it many many times, too.
This place in the curriculum makes it, frankly, kind of boring to see yet another rather young violinist perform the Mendelssohn or Bruch, even though they're wonderful pieces.
Graham
2022-11-09 02:05:35 UTC
Post by Herman
The Mendelssohn, together with the Bruch are the two violin concertos every violin student plays from start to finish by the time they're doing their exam so one can take it the conductor has played it many many times, too.
They are also early constituents of most classical music record collections.
Dan Koren
2022-11-09 21:15:28 UTC
Post by Herman
The Mendelssohn, together with the Bruch are the two
violin concertos every violin student plays from start to
finish by the time they're doing their exam so one can take
it the conductor has played it many many times, too.
The better fiddlers play the Paganini and the Wieniawski
concertos before they even go to music school. One of
my classmates played them all before she was 12, and
Sibelius, Brahms, Tchaikovsky and Glazunov before she
was 14.
Post by Herman
This place in the curriculum makes it, frankly, kind of
boring to see yet another rather young violinist perform
the Mendelssohn or Bruch, even though they're wonderful
pieces.
Henryk Szeryng, Ida Haendel and Ivry Gitlis can cure your
boredom of young violinists performing standard works,
allthough they all started as young prodigies in their time.

In 1935 Ida Haendel made the finals of the first Wieniawski
Competition at age 7. Ginette Neveu won the gold, and
David Oistrakh won the silver.

Judging from the names you throw around, I suppose
none of these older violinists suit your style and taste.

dk
Herman
2022-11-10 10:17:05 UTC
This one-upmanship of yours is a terrible waste of bandwidth.
Yes, twelve-year olds can play Mendelssohn, too. They play the notes.
There's a reason I usually don't listen to very young performers.
I love Szeryng, however, I don't go for what you do: when a living performer is mentioned say: you gotta listen to dead performers, and when a dead performer is mentioned: listen to some random eighteen-year old!
Whenever a violinist in his or her prime is mentioned you complain about 'screechy', 'wobbly' or 'off-pitch'. Maybe you should upgrade your hearing aids. And please quit this hangup about competitions.
Frank Berger
Learn to read.
Dan Koren
2022-11-09 02:54:16 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by AB
Post by Herman
Great violinist, and this performance
has the advantage of a conductor who
understands violin playing inside out.
how can you tell about the conductor??
it's the guy not holding an instrument.
Not always. Violinists and pianists
self-conduct sometimes. And if the
"guy" is not holding an instrument,
how can one tell which instrument
he/she might play if he/she were
holding one? Fiddler logic .....

dk
Herman
2022-11-09 07:36:29 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
And if the
"guy" is not holding an instrument,
how can one tell which instrument
he/she might play if he/she were
holding one? Fiddler logic .....
dk
Yeah, this is the poster who tells people they're dumb?
The conductor is Gabor Takacs-Nagy. He used to be a famous chamber music violinist.
He had a famous string quartet named after him.
If you only know (vaguely) about old-time musicians, and then only the big stars, why keep lecturing people about how they're stuck in the past?
Dan Koren
2022-11-09 19:54:20 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by Dan Koren
And if the
"guy" is not holding an instrument,
how can one tell which instrument
he/she might play if he/she were
holding one? Fiddler logic .....
Yeah, this is the poster who tells people they're
dumb? The conductor is Gabor Takacs-Nagy. He
used to be a famous chamber music violinist. He
had a famous string quartet named after him.
This does not answer the original question. It rather
confirms you have your head stuck in your ass. The
conductor's name is not listed on the YT page with
Hadelich's Mendelssohn Concerto.

http://youtu.be/YTEEV-yEtIM

Do you expect people to recgnize every known
fiddler in the universe?

The bigger flaw in your argument is the assertion
the conductor somehow makes this performance
"better" by being a fiddler and knowing fiddling
"inside out". Care to explain the connection?

Care to show tangible evidence of how this
conductor made the Mendelssohn "better"
than other conductors?

Personally I don't like Hadelich's reading of
this work, and most of his performances.
His tone tends towards screechy, his
interpretations tend towards whyny.

You have built not case whatsoever for
this performance, other than throwing
around names and adjectives.

dk
Dan Koren
2022-11-09 20:12:15 UTC
Post by Herman
Post by Dan Koren
[...]

You have built no case whatsoever for
this performance, other than throwing
around names and adjectives.

We are all of course entitled to our likes
and dislikes. Worship Hadelich as much
as you like. I prefer Kristóf Baráti, Pekka
Kuusisto and Soyoung Yoon in all the
repertoire I was able to compare them.

dk
Dan Koren
2022-11-08 20:43:11 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Dan Koren
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/zWqjg2BMus8
superb?? no........... excellent technique, tone and musicality nothing special..........
Please recommend better alternatives.
Haedlich
http://youtu.be/YTEEV-yEtIM
I know it. It is good, however to
my ears it is not "better" than
Soyoung Yoon's.

In particular his tone sounds
thinner than SY's. This may
or may not be an artifact of
the recording. Interpretation
wise, H sounds to me more
"whiny" for lack of a better
term.

I do not listen often to violin
music and I do not claim any
expertise in fiddling. Herman
can probably provide more
insight. To put in practical
terms, I would not listen to
Hadelich twice in this work.

Among historical performances,
Ida Haendel and Hemryk Szeryng
stand out to my ears:

I don't think Hadelich comes
close to either. SY does.

dk
Notsure01
2022-11-09 06:24:10 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/zWqjg2BMus8
superb?? no........... excellent technique, tone and musicality nothing special..........
Please recommend better alternatives.
Thx
Ms Yoon's tone sounded great to me - a very enjoyable performance. As
for alternatives, I must have accumulated a dozen versions over the
years, but one that really stands out is Perlman/Previn on Warner.
Perlman's technique seems perfect, and his tone is beautiful. Phrases
are full of character and Perlman and Previn are very dramatic. It is on
YT here in a LP transfer:

Dan Koren
2022-11-09 06:36:25 UTC
Post by Notsure01
Post by Dan Koren
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
http://youtu.be/zWqjg2BMus8
superb?? no........... excellent technique, tone and musicality nothing special..........
Please recommend better alternatives.
Ms Yoon's tone sounded great to me - a very enjoyable performance. As
for alternatives, I must have accumulated a dozen versions over the
years, but one that really stands out is Perlman/Previn on Warner.
Perlman's technique seems perfect, and his tone is beautiful. Phrases
are full of character and Perlman and Previn are very dramatic. It is on
YT here in a LP transfer: http://youtu.be/RGVpCst1OTQ
I very much prefer Szeryng and Ida Haendel to Perlman:

http://youtu.be/mdsqJwjlHvU

In general I do not like Perlman much. To
my ears he tends to sound too sweet and
syrupy. Szeryng strikes the right balance
for me.

dk