Rudolf Firkusny - Complete RCA and Columbia Album Collection - 18 CDs
Randy Lane
2019-03-08 20:32:19 UTC
I recall this being called out for recently when pondering what piano collections like this Sony could still produce.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rudolf-firkusny-the-complete-rca-columbia-album-edition/hnum/9010845/
Invocation
2019-03-08 23:04:05 UTC
在 2019年3月8日星期五 UTC-5下午3:32:23,Randy Lane写道:
Great news! When will his EMI recordings be reissued...
Bozo
2019-03-09 00:04:15 UTC
FWW :

http://arbiterrecords.org/catalog/erica-morini-rudolf-firkusny-sonata-recital/
Rosin
Comparing with Sony and Universal, Warner have fallen far behind in rediscovering their pianist catalogue, which should be as rich as the other two. What a shame.
drh8h
2019-03-09 13:30:02 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
I recall this being called out for recently when pondering what piano collections like this Sony could still produce.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rudolf-firkusny-the-complete-rca-columbia-album-edition/hnum/9010845/
Great news! When will his EMI recordings be reissued...
Comparing with Sony and Universal, Warner have fallen far behind in rediscovering their pianist catalogue, which should be as rich as the other two. What a shame.
EMI/Warner never even more than scratched the surface of their holdings of Gieseking, one of their greatest pianists. APR jumped in recently and filled some of the gaps. They seem to think he only played Debussy and Ravel. Not sure what their thinking is. Never reissued all of the incomplete Beethoven cycle he was recording at his death.

DH
Randy Lane
Before the death of EMI and the acquisition of its classical catalog by Warner, the EMI France division set a high standard for pianist complete sets, though in paper sleeve format. The black boxes of Ciccolini, François, Meyer, Cziffra, Cotot, Nat, and maybe some I don't remember off the top of my head. Unfortunately the unit that compiled and remastered those sets was disbanded when EMI died.
Rosin
Never expect them to dig out the tapes from golden age (Backhaus, Gieseking, Fischer, Schnabel). But what about Solomon, Andor Foldes, Moura Lympany, Maria Tipo, Stanislav Bunin, Alexis Weissenberg, Hans Richter-Haaser, Leonard Pennario, and Rudolf Firkusny? They all deserve better retrospective.
Invocation
I do not think Lympany recorded many for EMI. Eloquence is said to issue her complete Decca recordings later this year.
w***@hotmail.com

plus Prokofiev PC 1 & Rachmaninoff PC 2 with Malko & Susskind
Frank Berger
2019-03-11 17:25:20 UTC
Post by Rosin
Post by drh8h
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
Olympia 180 has Rah 1+2 with Malko and Prokofiev 1 with Suskind. All
Philharmonia.
Invocation
Yes, I know. That's why I said she did not record many for EMI.
Me
Seconded, on both counts!
drh8h
2019-03-09 02:41:53 UTC
And I was doing the calling! Maybe along with others. :) Good news! It will be a while though....
drh8h
2019-08-24 00:37:37 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
I recall this being called out for recently when pondering what piano collections like this Sony could still produce.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rudolf-firkusny-the-complete-rca-columbia-album-edition/hnum/9010845/
I am a little concerned that neither the U.S. nor U.K. Amazon sites are showing this even as the so-called release date approaches. Amazon.de still has it listed, but explicitly not available for shipment to the U.S. So what is going on here? Is this going to be like the Backhaus box, postponed to nowhere?

DH
Randy Lane
2019-08-24 00:56:12 UTC
Where do you Amazon.de or JPC say it cannot be shipped to the USA?
I don't see that anywhere.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07NHQHWVC/

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rudolf-firkusny-the-complete-rca-columbia-album-edition/hnum/9010845
drh8h
2019-08-24 02:41:57 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Where do you Amazon.de or JPC say it cannot be shipped to the USA?
I don't see that anywhere.
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07NHQHWVC/
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rudolf-firkusny-the-complete-rca-columbia-album-edition/hnum/9010845
Right under:

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon

DH
Invocation
I do not think they are postponed. At least you can still order from Japan. We will see when the release date arrives whether there will be a change but so far I have not seen a note on possible postpone of release from Japanese retailers.
drh8h
2019-08-24 12:48:12 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Randy Lane
I recall this being called out for recently when pondering what piano collections like this Sony could still produce.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rudolf-firkusny-the-complete-rca-columbia-album-edition/hnum/9010845/
I am a little concerned that neither the U.S. nor U.K. Amazon sites are showing this even as the so-called release date approaches. Amazon.de still has it listed, but explicitly not available for shipment to the U.S. So what is going on here? Is this going to be like the Backhaus box, postponed to nowhere?
DH
I do not think they are postponed. At least you can still order from Japan. We will see when the release date arrives whether there will be a change but so far I have not seen a note on possible postpone of release from Japanese retailers.
Seems strange the U.S. restriction is placed by Amazon.de on this set but not the Walter. Could they have received so many orders they don't think there will be enough copies for the home market?

DH
Randy Lane
2019-08-24 15:57:24 UTC
I see the restriction now.
Likely means copyright issues in USA.
Frank Berger
2019-08-25 01:53:35 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
Presto lists it for release Sept. 13. No mention about not shipping to
U.S. I see no reason to panic or wildly speculate about copyright issues.
l***@gmail.com
2019-08-24 19:14:17 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
I recall this being called out for recently when pondering what piano collections like this Sony could still produce.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/rudolf-firkusny-the-complete-rca-columbia-album-edition/hnum/9010845/
Gieseking recorded some Beethoven Sonatas in stereo, shortly before his death. They were on LPs but I have not seen them in CDs in stereo.

Mort Linder
J.A.W.
EMI (now Warner) released some of them on CD and EMI Japan released all of them in a 6CD-box that's out-of-print and pretty expensive on the second-hand market.
John Fowler
2019-08-27 15:35:01 UTC
The Firkusny box is still listed on German and French Amazon for release on September 6 (nothing on US or UK Amazon).
Cheapest on Amazon.de €44.86 De = $50.30

The restriction on Amazon Germany has been changed:
It now reads:
"This item can be delivered to United States."
Big difference.
John Fowler
2019-08-27 15:40:48 UTC
Still listed on German and French Amazon for September 13, but unlisted on US and UK Amazon.
Cheapest on Amazon.de €44.86 = $50.30

The delivery notice now reads:
"This item can be delivered to United States."
Big Difference.
Frank Berger
$48.75 at presto, plus shipping of course.
John Fowler
Amazon.de price includes shipping
John Fowler
2019-09-12 11:13:51 UTC
My Rudolf Firkusny box was shipped today (one day early) from Amazon UK.
It is finally listed on Amazon US, but you have to order it from a third party seller in Germany.
drh8h
2019-09-12 12:58:08 UTC
Post by John Fowler
My Rudolf Firkusny box was shipped today (one day early) from Amazon UK.
It is finally listed on Amazon US, but you have to order it from a third party seller in Germany.
You must have beat me to the line as mine hasn't shipped yet.

DH
Hank Drake
2019-09-18 14:45:50 UTC
On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 8:58:10 AM UTC-4, drh8h wrote:

Mine arrived yesterday. Enjoying it now. Some of the music is unfamiliar to me so this is a double treat.

Hank
drh8h
2019-09-18 16:01:21 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
Mine arrived yesterday. Enjoying it now. Some of the music is unfamiliar to me so this is a double treat.
Hank
I envy you the pleasure. My copy has left the U.K., but isn't expected for another couple of weeks. Of course, it may be sooner. If you have a moment, who did the majority of the remastering? I am guessing this is not a Meyer project. We can't expect him to do everything.

Dennis
J.A.W.
2019-09-18 16:39:40 UTC
Post by drh8h
I envy you the pleasure. My copy has left the U.K., but isn't expected for another couple of weeks. Of course, it may be sooner. If you have a moment, who did the majority of the remastering? I am guessing this is not a Meyer project. We can't expect him to do everything.
Dennis
Got my set yesterday. Mastering etc. details:
CDs 1-6 analogue disc and tape transfers, mixing and mastering by Andreas K. Meyer
CDs 7, 9-18 mastering by Martin Kistner and Matthias Erb
CD 8 analogue tape transfers by Brett Zinn, mastering by Martin Kistner