Headphone survery (with empasis on suitability for choral works).
AG
2019-07-23 09:21:17 UTC
Hello everyone,

I was hoping to surf the in-house wisdom/experience on higher-end headphones and which, if any, have a consensus for being better for "classical".

My current set up is a Marantz CD6000 OSE going into a JDS labs atom amp. I then have two sets of cans: 1) Massdrop Sennheiser 58x Jubilee (open back for when alone), 2) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm (closed back for when the kids are around).

The Sennheisers are great, of course, and the better headphones....however I am going through a Bach phase (working my way through all of the cantatas and large choral works) and the trebble can be somewhat fatiguing after a while (30 mins plus) on the Senns.

So, I am wondering whether there are any additional open headphones that people could recommend in that price range (<$200), and of a similar audio quality that may be more forgiving for choral music in general.

AKG 702 has good reviews online vis a vis classical music, although from reviews I have seen it may be a step down from the Senns.

I do quite like the Beyer sound though so the 600 Ohm DT990 is also a possibility.

Thanks in advance!
a***@gmail.com
2019-07-23 13:44:49 UTC
Have not tested 30+ minutes with Bach cantatas, but I enjoy the Monoprice M1060 open-back planar headphones for chamber music.
msw design
2019-07-23 14:28:50 UTC
Since my music originates as digital files I've ripped, I have access to the best tool for radically improving the sound I get from headphones (the three I use are by AKG, Fostex and Audeze). I would see if they have profiles for your cans and demo it. Of course, your sound may be originating from your stereo system, in which case, I can only wish you good luck.

https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi
weary flake
2019-07-25 21:02:53 UTC
Post by msw design
Since my music originates as digital files I've ripped, I have access
to the best tool for radically improving the sound I get from
headphones (the three I use are by AKG, Fostex and Audeze). I would see
if they have profiles for your cans and demo it. Of course, your sound
may be originating from your stereo system, in which case, I can only
wish you good luck.
https://www.sonarworks.com/truefi
This doesn't explain what the program is changing the sound
from and to. Is it altering the headphones from colored to
flat? Shouldn't all headphones have flat output, so it
can play all music equally? Having different headphones
for different types of music seems stupid to me.
msw design
No headphones have flat response. Some come close. Senn 650 maybe, but they clamp my fat head too much. Manufacturing a truly flat set of headphones is probably next to impossible. So yes, the program re-EQ's the sound to give you as flat response as possible. Even then there will be differences as different headphones have different degrees of distortion across the frequency range.
weary flake
2019-08-03 23:54:25 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by weary flake
This doesn't explain what the program is changing the sound
from and to. Is it altering the headphones from colored to
flat? Shouldn't all headphones have flat output, so it
can play all music equally? Having different headphones
for different types of music seems stupid to me.
No headphones have flat response. Some come close. Senn 650 maybe, but
they clamp my fat head too much. Manufacturing a truly flat set of
headphones is probably next to impossible. So yes, the program re-EQ's
the sound to give you as flat response as possible. Even then there
will be differences as different headphones have different degrees of
distortion across the frequency range.
Then the headphone manufacturers should have EQ'd the headphones
to have a flat response. So what makers are seeking a flat
response? Flat EQ is the only way to go to suit all kinds
of music.
MiNe109
2019-08-04 14:25:18 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by msw design
Post by weary flake
[...]
It's not so simple as that. For one thing, individual anatomy changes
the frequency response of the headphone. The other consideration is that
listeners prefer a downward-sloping eq. Search "Harmon curve headphones"
or "barton roomfeel" to learn more.

Stephen

MiNe109
2019-07-23 14:40:42 UTC
Post by AG
So, I am wondering whether there are any additional open headphones
that people could recommend in that price range (<$200), and of a
similar audio quality that may be more forgiving for choral music in
general.
I don't have experience with it, but the HIFIMAN - HE-400 has many fans.

If a closed-back model is acceptable, the NAD HP50 is worth a try as it
has a warmer balance with good detail. There are many reviews.

Stephen
Mark Zimmer
2019-07-23 17:00:34 UTC
Post by AG
[...]
In my classical music headphone shootouts at Head-fi, I liked the HiFiMan HE-560 best for choral music, but their QC can be pretty dodgy. Once you get a set that works properly though they are glorious. I've seen them around $350 if you look hard.

If that's beyond your budget, I really like the Beyerdynamic DT660 for choral music as well, or if you can go a bit pricier the DT880. I haven't tried the DT990; the Beyer T1.2 is disastrous for choral music so stay away from that one.

Mark
f***@yahoo.com
I would advise against the AKG 702. It has the widest sound stage I ever heard, but the treble is fatiguing. I don't do much choral music, but for long listening sessions, Beyerdynamic DT880 (I have the 250ohm version) provides the best combination of sound quality and comfort. For comparison, I also use Sennheiser HD6XX/650 and Monoprice M1060 headphones mentioned by others in this thread.
msw design
2019-07-23 22:41:59 UTC
I have a Massdrop AKG 7XX and the odd thing about them is that while they sound more treble-centric, the actually lack high frequencies that are essential to a good sound picture. Once corrected via Sonarworks, they sound great, if lacking the bass punch that my other headphones have. But I use them daily because of their wearability. Absent correction, I wouldn't wear them at all.
g***@gmail.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/choralmusic/comments/64ibdl/headphones_for_listening_to_choral_music/
AG
2019-07-24 10:38:06 UTC
Thank you for the replies so far.

Unfortunately the HiFimans and Monoprice are well outside of my budget for now.

Does anyone have the Fostex T50Rp Mk3 (modded) or any of those higher end Fostex cans that can comment on their compatibility with classical/choral?

Thanks.

AG
MiNe109
2019-07-24 13:02:49 UTC
Post by AG
Thank you for the replies so far.
Unfortunately the HiFimans and Monoprice are well outside of my budget for now.
The Massdrop HIFIMAN HE4XX is under $200.
Post by AG
Does anyone have the Fostex T50Rp Mk3 (modded) or any of those higher
end Fostex cans that can comment on their compatibility with
classical/choral?
Check out the Innerfidelity review for concerns about build quality and
frequency response.

I enjoy my Creative Aurvana Live! (based on the Fostex/Foster 443701).
They're not too fatiguing and under $100. The Massdrop x EMU purpleheart
might be equivalent. They are closed, though.

Stephen
operafan
2019-07-25 00:41:06 UTC
Post by AG
Hello everyone,
I was hoping to surf the in-house wisdom/experience on higher-end headphones and which, if any, have a consensus for being better for "classical".
I have Sennheiser HD600 phones, which are commonly available now for ~200. The only thing they lack is the deepest bass, but they are detailed clear and not at all bright with any of the headphone amps I have. Great for choral music, too. I also bought the Hifiman HE-400i, but I wish I hadn't. They have some distortion in the mid-treble that spoils things like classical piano and voice.

I have a set of AKG K702. They lack deep bass. They are just fine for choral music but nowhere as clear and detailed as the Sennheiser HD600 headphones for the same money. Most of the time I use them for listening to TV when people are sleeping in the house.
r***@gmail.com
2019-07-26 07:04:08 UTC
Post by AG
[...]
I'll offer a suggestion that is about as cheap as you can get.
I used to use the first Koss model of open backed headphones in college: the HV1. Its current incarnation is the Portapro. They were light, and still are, comfortable, and sounded as good as almost any then current speaker, though not Magneplanars!
If you can find anywhere you can try them do. Amazon has various models from $30-50 or so.