"Money is better spent on a turntable than a CD player"
2020-08-22 05:27:42 UTC
https://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-money-is-better-spent-on-a-turntable-than-a-cd-player/570694852/
Andrew Clarke
2020-08-22 06:06:02 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-money-is-better-spent-on-a-turntable-than-a-cd-player/570694852/
A better headline might be: "If you have money to spend, and if you insist on buying vinyl LPs, you'd better spend the money on a turntable, as CD technology is now so stable there's little point in buying a new CD player.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-08-22 06:26:07 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-money-is-better-spent-on-a-turntable-than-a-cd-player/570694852/
A better headline might be: "If you have money to spend, and if you insist on buying vinyl LPs, you'd better spend the money on a turntable, as CD technology is now so stable there's little point in buying a new CD player.
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
There ain't nothing better than a pine needle or a cat claw for good sound.

2020-08-22 12:34:41 UTC
I was very happy indeed to say goodbye to all my vinyl and the stuff needed to play it. Now everything is in iTunes and in playlists at the click of a mouse. I still have some rare vinyl lingering on a bookshelf and that will go as soon as anyone shown interest in buying it.
weary flake
2020-08-22 20:25:30 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I was very happy indeed to say goodbye to all my vinyl and the stuff
needed to play it. Now everything is in iTunes and in playlists at the
click of a mouse. I still have some rare vinyl lingering on a bookshelf
and that will go as soon as anyone shown interest in buying it.
I'm happy I haven't troubled to shovel everything I have into
itunes, how tedius, all those CDs and records, instead I play
them individually and put select items into itunes for repeated
play. I'm also happy that I don't like the LP format for
itself because it is finicky, but it is what it is, and I'd
rather have access to otherwise unavailable music than to
declare LPs, and what is only on them, obsolete. But I
understand not wanting to touch LP players, the whole LP
thing is unreliable. Replacing my broken LP player (Sony,
unfixable skating towards the center, hums, bought new, 200 in
15 year old dollars) with a better AT120 player (new, recent,
250 dollars?, comes with a real cartridge not a "DJ"
stylus/cartridge) I can actually track the Gliere conducts
the horn concerto LP I have that I bought for a dollar, which
is not available in "digital" other than 6 minutes on youtube.

https://www.discogs.com/GliereBolshoi-Theatre-Orchestra-Concerto-For-Horn-And-Orchestra-Opus-91/release/13398431

One of many hundreds of LPs I bought for 33 to 100 cents
15 years ago, exploring with an eye towards the LPs that
look like they weren't available on CD. If I liked it
enough I'd make a CD-r out of it, but would prefer that
what ever is closest to the original mastertape be used
to press a CD of it. But I wouldn't buy newly pressed LPs
when CDs are available, except in the rare cases of wanting
new popular music, where typically the CD version has been
unscrupulously compressed compared to the LP.

Itunes, etc., is also finicky in a major way in that it is
an erasible format, it's easy to ruin items by accidentally
deleting them, easy to lose items from playlists without
deleting them as intended, easy to misplace things, the
inability to edit tags in files without importing the files
first, mysterious multiple files from the uninformative itunes
displays, the failure of itunes to show which files are in
which playlists while looking at the tracks lists, the failure
of itunes enginneering in not allowing the itunes program to
"fork" a display so I can look at playlists, artists, albums,
etc., on more than one tab or window, itunes failure in
warning me if itunes makes a faulty rip of a CD, errors by
factory default (compressing imported files), by default
adding a two second gap to burning audio CDs, a blithering
mess, so I only carry a limited selection on itunes. Playing
itunes also requires a screen, so it is not sufficient for
screenless music.
Reinhold Gliere
2020-08-22 15:58:20 UTC
Every DVD/BR player is also a CD player. If you have one of those you needn't spend money buying a CD player. So it's not a matter of choice. (Obviously if one wants to listen to LPs but doesn't own a turntable system you must buy one.
weary flake
2020-08-22 18:56:07 UTC
Post by Reinhold Gliere
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-money-is-better-spent-on-a-turntable-than-a-cd-player/570694852/
Every DVD/BR player is also a CD player. If you have one of those you
needn't spend money buying a CD player. So it's not a matter of choice.
(Obviously if one wants to listen to LPs but doesn't own a turntable
system you must buy one.
What good is a video player or itunes if you want
screenless music? For music free from TV, computer or
phone screens, a CD player is necessary, or some
device with a simple useful display like is typical of
a CD player, without touchpads, scrolling text,
blinking lights, netwoking, or similar tech junk.

Much of the video players being made now have no displays
at all, I have three of those. My older DVD or Blu-Ray
players have displays, my newer sets do not. The
worst designs (Samsung) don't even have a power light.
weary flake
2020-08-22 20:34:29 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by Reinhold Gliere
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-money-is-better-spent-on-a-turntable-than-a-cd-player/570694852/
Every DVD/BR player is also a CD player. If you have one of those you
needn't spend money buying a CD player. So it's not a matter of choice.
(Obviously if one wants to listen to LPs but doesn't own a turntable
system you must buy one.
What good is a video player or itunes if you want
screenless music? For music free from TV, computer or
phone screens, a CD player is necessary, or some
device with a simple useful display like is typical of
a CD player, without touchpads, scrolling text,
blinking lights, netwoking, or similar tech junk.
"netwoking": instant notifications that you are listening
to music that is not appropiate for your demographic
profile and corrective measures to follow.
Andy Evans
2020-08-23 09:05:27 UTC
I often go to sleep with music in the room. I use iTunes playlists and programme about an hour's listening by which time (or a lot sooner) I should be asleep. Wonderful cure for insomnia.

Try doing that with a record player.......
Tatonik
2020-08-26 17:29:40 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I often go to sleep with music in the room. I use iTunes playlists
and programme about an hour's listening by which time (or a lot
sooner) I should be asleep. Wonderful cure for insomnia.
Try doing that with a record player.......
My family used to have a General Electric console with a record changer,
which I suppose you could use in the same way, though the drop of each
record might well wake you up just as you were drifting off. Our set of
Beethoven symphonies on LP had the sides ordered for a record changer.
It was Josef Krips and the London Symphony issued (reissued?) on Murray
Hill Records. "7 MAGNIFICENT LONG-PLAYING RECORDS, ULTRA HIGH-FIDELITY"
assured the box. "All symphonies performed in their entirety and
arranged in sequence for automatic record changers." Just so you know
your changer won't be short-changed.

I learned much later that changers are terrible if you want to keep your
records in good condition.

What music do you program for going to sleep? Occasionally I set
classical radio station WFMT on a sleep timer, but I find that an awful
lot of the music Peter Van de Graaff plays makes me wake up.

Or perhaps it's my troubled conscience that keeps me awake.
Bob Harper
2020-08-26 23:12:39 UTC
Post by Tatonik
Post by Andy Evans
[...]
Usually a CD of String quartets. I never make it to the end :).

Bob Harper

Jonathan Ben Schragadove
2020-08-24 23:27:13 UTC
Yes, as you say these other players (DVD/BR) can also play CD's, but I disagree with your statement that one shouldn't buy a CD player. In my experience these other players tend not to sound very good when confronted with CD's; they weren't specifically engineered for this format, so inevitably there are some design compromises...
Andrew Clarke
2020-08-25 01:42:30 UTC
Post by Reinhold Gliere
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-money-is-better-spent-on-a-turntable-than-a-cd-player/570694852/
Every DVD/BR player is also a CD player. If you have one of those you needn't spend money buying a CD player. So it's not a matter of choice. (Obviously if one wants to listen to LPs but doesn't own a turntable system you must buy one.
Yes, as you say these other players (DVD/BR) can also play CD's, but I disagree with your statement that one shouldn't buy a CD player. In my experience these other players tend not to sound very good when confronted with CD's; they weren't specifically engineered for this format, so inevitably there are some design compromises...
... no gapless playback for example? Yes, I know we've been here before ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
dk
2020-08-25 01:40:15 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.startribune.com/sound-advice-money-is-better-spent-on-a-turntable-than-a-cd-player/570694852/
Money is best spent on sushi and chocolate.