Post by Lawrence Chalmers Post by Andy Evans
Plenty of recordings of this work, but which of them are you most satisfied with?
What's so objectionable about Richter/Leinsdorf?
Here's the list of Richter's Brahms 2nd recorded
- Kyrill Kondrashin conducting Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
- George Georgescu conducting Bucharest George Enescu Philharmonic Orchestra
- Charles Munch conducting Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Mario Rossi conducting Orchestra Sinfonica di Torino della RAI
- Kurt Sanderling conducting USSR State Orchestra
- Lorin Maazel conducting Orchestre de Paris
- Erich Leinsdorf conducting Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Evgeny Mravinsky conducting Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra
- George Georgescu conducting USSR State Symphony Orchestra
- Kyrill Kondrashin conducting Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra
- Andras Korodi conducting Hungarian State Orchestra
- Witold Rowicki conducting Orchestre National de la ORTF
IMHO the one with Leinsdorf is the least good of the lot!
Missing from this list is a live performance with
Maazel and ODP from one of the Baalbek Festivals
in Lebanon, dating from the late 1960s or early
1970s. I heard it on the radio as it happened.
I don't know if a recording exists, and I would
probably kill to have it! He played the entire
concerto again as an encore!