Ralph Kirkpatrick
2021-01-05 18:44:01 UTC
I saw him in recitals in the late 60s and 70s - the image of a scholarly, sedate and stylistically correct player fixed itself permanently in my mind.

It was a happy discovery to hear his 1950s Bach recordings on Archive (a division os DG). This is colorful, spontaneous playing. The 6 Partitas and the French Suites have become favorite harpsichord performances for me. They are played on a Neupert Bach instrument. His 1954 Scarlatti recordings are very fine as well.

All can be heard on Spotify.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-05 20:55:45 UTC
I used to have his Archiv LP's of the French Suites, but, over the years, I've drifted away from the clangsichord.
sci.space
2021-01-06 13:39:23 UTC
His Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue is my preferred recording. Not a great sounding harpsichord, but the performance just moves me.
Théo Amon
2021-01-07 15:27:57 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
I saw him in recitals in the late 60s and 70s - the image of a scholarly, sedate and stylistically correct player fixed itself permanently in my mind.
It was a happy discovery to hear his 1950s Bach recordings on Archive (a division os DG). This is colorful, spontaneous playing. The 6 Partitas and the French Suites have become favorite harpsichord performances for me. They are played on a Neupert Bach instrument. His 1954 Scarlatti recordings are very fine as well.
All can be heard on Spotify.
His Chromatic Fantasia and Fugue is my preferred recording. Not a great sounding harpsichord, but the performance just moves me.
His complete WTC on clavichord was reissued on 2 double CD sets in "The Originals" series, but what about his recording on the harpsichord? It's not included in the now OOP Arkiv box set ("Original Masters") either... Any sign of a reissue out there?

Thank you

Théo
Randy Lane
2021-01-07 18:45:33 UTC
Post by Théo Amon
Post by JohnGavin
[...]
I bought the 25 CD Korean Ars Nova box a few years ago.
Very happy with it the few times I've dived into it.
I also still own the two keyboard music volumes from the 1980s Arckiv Bach Edition LP set (disk blue covers), which has his recordings and is all included on the Ars Nova CDs.