Isaac Stern box in 2020?
2019-01-25 02:59:39 UTC
Stern's 100th birthday would be July 21, 1920.
Surely Sony will give us a Complete Album Collection.
Invocation
2019-01-25 03:01:31 UTC
在 2019年1月24日星期四 UTC-5下午9:59:42,Randy Lane写道:
I am more curious whether there will be a Complete Ansermet box this year.
m***@gmail.com
2019-01-25 15:36:59 UTC
Post by Invocation
I am more curious whether there will be a Complete Ansermet box this year.
Placing my bet now: no. Maybe you'd see a box of his more obscure recordings, but the stereo ones have been re-released too many times for it to make money.

But if it was a good price, I might buy it, even though I already bought the three big box sets already.
Herman
2019-01-25 08:15:58 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Stern's 100th birthday would be July 21, 1920.
Surely Sony will give us a Complete Album Collection.
more likely they will try to SELL it.

PS it's still strange to me how many posters here only get excited about huge multidisc reissues of old material.
drh8h
2019-01-25 13:54:33 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Stern's 100th birthday would be July 21, 1920.
Surely Sony will give us a Complete Album Collection.
more likely they will try to SELL it.
PS it's still strange to me how many posters here only get excited about huge multidisc reissues of old material.
If we think of recording as a matter of preservation for future generations, then it makes sense.

But tell me, why were those Beethoven sonatas with Istomin missing from the Rose box, then?

DH
Herman
2019-01-25 14:37:46 UTC
They are a product to be sold in the present, why kid ourselves?
2019-01-25 16:47:28 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Herman
Post by Randy Lane
Stern's 100th birthday would be July 21, 1920.
Surely Sony will give us a Complete Album Collection.
more likely they will try to SELL it.
PS it's still strange to me how many posters here only get excited about
huge multidisc reissues of old material.
If we think of recording as a matter of preservation for future generations,
then it makes sense.
For those of you with kids: how many of your kids are lying back
thinking about your 5000 to 10000 CD collections thinking: "some day
this will all be mine!"

-Owen
Gerry
LOL! More than likely, they are lying back thinking, "some day this will be mine to get rid of, damn it!"
JohnGavin

In context of this prospect, there are 8,772 hours in a year (thanks to Alexa for this). So let’s say a big collection, listened to 24/7, would take about a year to 15 months to get through, and in terms of normal range listening patterns 10 years: this is why at a certain age it might be good to think of what really matters. For this reason I enjoyed a recent Desert Island Disc thread. It forces one to decide which are the most valued, and how ones tastes have changed and evolved. It would also allow people to give away recordings to those who might appreciate them more.
Frank Berger
2019-01-25 17:56:44 UTC
Post by Gerry
Post by O
Post by drh8h
Post by Herman
Post by Randy Lane
Stern's 100th birthday would be July 21, 1920.
Surely Sony will give us a Complete Album Collection.
more likely they will try to SELL it.
PS it's still strange to me how many posters here only get excited about
huge multidisc reissues of old material.
If we think of recording as a matter of preservation for future generations,
then it makes sense.
For those of you with kids: how many of your kids are lying back
thinking about your 5000 to 10000 CD collections thinking: "some day
this will all be mine!"
-Owen
LOL! More than likely, they are lying back thinking, "some day this will be mine to get rid of, damn it!"
As I have said before, the only guilt I have regarding having amassed a
collection approaching 11,000 CDs (much more, considering multiple CD
sets), is the that someone will have to dispose of it after I die. This
is likely to be my poor wife who only barely tolerates my compulsion.
Maybe her anger over having to do this chore will overcome her grief.
I've left her instructions to contact Princeton Record Exchange who a
few year ago told me they would send a truck, pack up the collection in
pay me around $2 per disk. That might be a ripoff, but as I will be
dead, I don't thin I will care. Of course that option might not
beavailable at the time, given how businesses her shutting down left and
right. My 9 first cousins jointly own a grave in a cemetery in New
Jersey. Maybe we can bury the CDs there, thought I don't think 6 feet
will be deep enough.
Gerard
PS That's what this ng is about these days: big boxes, and specially their shipping dates.
Randy Lane
Perhaps the CR in RMCR should mean "Classical-Completist Recordings"
John Fowler
2020-06-25 11:20:49 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Stern's 100th birthday would be July 21, 1920.
Surely Sony will give us a Complete Album Collection.
Isaac Stern Complete Analog Recordings (65 CDs) to be released in US on July 3.
Best price I've found is on Arkiv Music:
$164.99 + $3.50 shipping = $168.49
https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2302718#utm_source=ArkivMusic_NL&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Stern-6232020&utm_content=Stern-75CD