Gulda's complete Beethoven sonatas on Brilliant
Add Reply
j***@btinternet.com
2005-11-20 20:29:05 UTC
I have just bought this set and have spent more or less the weekend
listening to it with a few string quartes thrown in. It is my first
Beethoven sonata set so I can't really compare.
Is it the music or Gulda or both that makes it so good.
Bob Lombard
2005-11-20 22:19:52 UTC
Post by j***@btinternet.com
I have just bought this set and have spent more or less the
weekend
listening to it with a few string quartes thrown in. It is
my first
Beethoven sonata set so I can't really compare.
Is it the music or Gulda or both that makes it so good.
Which Gulda set is it?

bl
EM
2005-11-20 22:30:52 UTC
Post by Bob Lombard
Which Gulda set is it?
Licensed from Universal Music Operations Ltd
Originally released on Amadeo
Recording: Austria, 1967, Amadeo.

Eltjo M.
Bob Lombard
2005-11-20 22:41:50 UTC
Nov 2005
Post by Bob Lombard
Which Gulda set is it?
Licensed from Universal Music Operations Ltd
Originally released on Amadeo
Recording: Austria, 1967, Amadeo.
Eltjo M.
OK. The early sonatas, up to about Op. 31, have perceptively
engrossed the OP. After that not so much. (Perceptively that
is.)

bl
Matt
2005-11-21 16:23:22 UTC
Post by EM
Post by Bob Lombard
Which Gulda set is it?
Licensed from Universal Music Operations Ltd
Originally released on Amadeo
Recording: Austria, 1967, Amadeo.
This is, in my opinion, an excellent set (especially if you are interested
in the earlier sonatas). It typically gets very enthusiastic reviews in the
various Beethoven sonata threads that have appeared over the years in this
newsgroup. If you are only going to invest in one traversal of the sonatas,
this would not be a poor choice (although I think you can do better in some
of the later sonatas).

As a side note, I'm glad this set is now available cheaply as I paid quite a
bit to get it from Germany a few years ago.

Regards,
Matt
Johannes Roehl
2005-11-21 16:56:16 UTC
Post by Matt
Post by EM
Post by Bob Lombard
Which Gulda set is it?
Licensed from Universal Music Operations Ltd
Originally released on Amadeo
Recording: Austria, 1967, Amadeo.
This is, in my opinion, an excellent set (especially if you are interested
in the earlier sonatas). It typically gets very enthusiastic reviews in the
various Beethoven sonata threads that have appeared over the years in this
newsgroup. If you are only going to invest in one traversal of the sonatas,
this would not be a poor choice (although I think you can do better in some
of the later sonatas).
As a side note, I'm glad this set is now available cheaply as I paid quite a
bit to get it from Germany a few years ago.
I second the recommendation and add as another aside, that at least in
Europe/Germany Universal reissued the sonatas together with the 5
concertos on "eloquence" even cheaper than Brilliant (ca. EUR 20/12 CDs!)

Johannes
EM
2005-11-21 17:18:02 UTC
Post by Johannes Roehl
I second the recommendation and add as another aside, that at least in
Europe/Germany Universal reissued the sonatas together with the 5
concertos on "eloquence" even cheaper than Brilliant (ca. EUR 20/12 CDs!)
That's a very good deal, and it's a remastered edition. However,
distribution of Eloquence cd's is very poor in this country (NL)
Curiously JPC offers a choice between the Eloquence box (EUR 19,99 +
p&p) and the Decca box (EUR 71,99).

Eltjo M.
w***@comcast.net
2005-11-21 17:38:36 UTC
Post by EM
That's a very good deal, and it's a remastered edition. However,
distribution of Eloquence cd's is very poor in this country (NL)
Curiously JPC offers a choice between the Eloquence box (EUR 19,99 +
p&p) and the Decca box (EUR 71,99).
Be careful which Decca box that you buy. The later cycle (originally
Amadeo, now Decca) isn't distributed widely. The recently issued
"Original Masters" set (475 6835) is Gulda's earlier cycle, and is
vastly inferior, if more widely distributed.

Bill
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-11-21 20:23:22 UTC
Post by EM
Post by Johannes Roehl
I second the recommendation and add as another aside, that at least in
Europe/Germany Universal reissued the sonatas together with the 5
concertos on "eloquence" even cheaper than Brilliant (ca. EUR 20/12 CDs!)
That's a very good deal, and it's a remastered edition. However,
distribution of Eloquence cd's is very poor in this country (NL)
Curiously JPC offers a choice between the Eloquence box (EUR 19,99 +
p&p) and the Decca box (EUR 71,99).
I would venture to guess that distribution of Eloquence CDs in Nederland
isn't any worse than it is in the USA. Especially considering how many
recordings by American orchestras are included.
I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)
Steve Emerson
2005-11-22 20:05:45 UTC
Post by EM
Post by Bob Lombard
Which Gulda set is it?
Licensed from Universal Music Operations Ltd
Originally released on Amadeo
Recording: Austria, 1967, Amadeo.
Do you suppose these guys have managed to break out the movements into
tracks?

SE.
Jan Winter
2005-11-22 20:41:26 UTC
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:05:45 -0800, Steve Emerson
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by EM
Post by Bob Lombard
Which Gulda set is it?
Licensed from Universal Music Operations Ltd
Originally released on Amadeo
Recording: Austria, 1967, Amadeo.
Do you suppose these guys have managed to break out the movements into
tracks?
They did.

-----
jan winter, amsterdam
email: name = j.winter; provider = xs4all; com = nl
v***@protonmail.com
2020-06-19 15:46:39 UTC
There's a couple of these sets available now for a reasonable price at evilzon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8WEL4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AR913EZJR6MLO&psc=1

No affiliation.

C.
wkasimer
2020-06-19 16:36:36 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B8WEL4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AR913EZJR6MLO&psc=1
If anyone is still looking for it fifteen years later, these are the same sonata recordins, with the concerti as a bonus:

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonata-Concertos-Box/dp/B000BQV52A
Dan Koren

dk
Michael Lehrman
2005-11-21 03:56:29 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by j***@btinternet.com
I have just bought this set and have spent more or less the weekend
listening to it with a few string quartes thrown in. It is my first
Beethoven sonata set so I can't really compare.
Is it the music or Gulda or both that makes it so good.
Neither.
It must be price, then.
ML
rkhalona
2005-11-21 17:45:09 UTC
Post by j***@btinternet.com
I have just bought this set and have spent more or less the weekend
listening to it with a few string quartes thrown in. It is my first
Beethoven sonata set so I can't really compare.
Is it the music or Gulda or both that makes it so good.
This is a pretty solid set, one of my favorites, in fact. The recorded
sound is excellent also.
I do have one question though: in the Amadeo release, each sonata was
recorded on a single track and index points were provided for each of
the individual movements within each sonata, (but how many CD players
can read index points nowadays?)
Did Brilliant properly track each sonata movement?

RK
EM
2005-11-21 17:52:31 UTC
Apparently they did: http://tinyurl.com/brxla

Eltjo M.
Norman M. Schwartz
2005-11-21 18:22:01 UTC
Post by EM
Post by rkhalona
Did Brilliant properly track each sonata movement?
Apparently they did: http://tinyurl.com/brxla
Did they "improve" the sound as well? Apparently "Universal" thought a more
distant 3-dimensional diffuse sound represented an improvement. I have the
Amadeo set and some sonatas on Decca (so I compared them side by side).
EM
2005-11-21 23:03:39 UTC
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Did they "improve" the sound as well?
I have no idea. Don't even have the set yet, hope to pick up one
tomorrow.

Eltjo M.