Favorite recordings of Schubert's Sixth Symphony
Rich Sauer
2018-08-03 03:35:10 UTC
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
jrsnfld
2018-08-03 05:23:37 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
Oh yes! Bohm's 6th is a delight, big and beautiful and still very graceful.

Off the top of my head, along that old-fashioned example,

RPO/Beecham
Concertgebouw/van Beinum
Camerata Academica Salzburg/Vegh
Bavarian Radio/Kubelik
Staatskapelle Berlin/Suitner

on DVD, I can't resist CSO/Solti, but I'm an inveterate fan of that combination.

All exude that old-world charm, like Boehm. There are many fine performances that are faster, or more contemporary, or something special. I probably haven't met a Schubert 6 (or 3, 4, or 5) that didn't make me appreciate life just a little bit more.

-Jeff
c***@gmail.com
2018-08-03 11:58:50 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
Oh yes! Bohm's 6th is a delight, big and beautiful and still very graceful.
Off the top of my head, along that old-fashioned example,
RPO/Beecham
Concertgebouw/van Beinum
Camerata Academica Salzburg/Vegh
Bavarian Radio/Kubelik
Staatskapelle Berlin/Suitner
on DVD, I can't resist CSO/Solti, but I'm an inveterate fan of that combination.
All exude that old-world charm, like Boehm. There are many fine performances that are faster, or more contemporary, or something special. I probably haven't met a Schubert 6 (or 3, 4, or 5) that didn't make me appreciate life just a little bit more.
-Jeff
Jeff's top two are my favorites as well. I'd also put a word in for Sawallisch/Dresden; I think #6 is the best single performance in his generally fine cycle.

2018-08-03 14:28:26 UTC
Second the Sawallisch recommendation.
I like Goodman for HIP. And await a Phi HIP version from Herreweghe, which I assume will come as part of that series.
drh8h
2018-08-24 22:04:50 UTC
Post by jrsnfld
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
Oh yes! Bohm's 6th is a delight, big and beautiful and still very graceful.
Off the top of my head, along that old-fashioned example,
RPO/Beecham
Concertgebouw/van Beinum
Camerata Academica Salzburg/Vegh
Bavarian Radio/Kubelik
Staatskapelle Berlin/Suitner
on DVD, I can't resist CSO/Solti, but I'm an inveterate fan of that combination.
All exude that old-world charm, like Boehm. There are many fine performances that are faster, or more contemporary, or something special. I probably haven't met a Schubert 6 (or 3, 4, or 5) that didn't make me appreciate life just a little bit more.
-Jeff
Did not know about Solti. Usually don't encounter any repertory pieces by him that he did not record. Van Beinum is a lively and forward moving performance, probably my favorite right now, although I do not claim comprehensive knowledge. Böhm needs more adrenaline, I think.

DH
c***@ckhowell.com
2018-08-03 05:30:04 UTC
Kubelik (BRSO 1978, not sure about official availability). Scherchen. Also Krips (LSO), Schmidt-Isserstedt, Ristenpart and Munchinger (more for the VPO than for the conductor)
Paul
2018-08-03 14:26:18 UTC
In addition to clear choices such as Beecham, I strongly recommend Zender and both Menuhins. The Scherchen is worth hearing too, a predictably unique, rather dark take.
Rich Sauer
2018-08-03 18:12:10 UTC
I forgot the Mackerras/Australian Chamber orchestra recording of the 6th. Smaller forces bring out the details of the score a bit better I think. Karajan's EMI recording from his complete cycle is a professional job, and that's about it, but that EMI 9th is a wonder. Listening to it is like being in a fast moving hovercraft...a wave of sound carrying you along.
n***@gmail.com
2018-08-07 14:14:11 UTC
In my music ignorance, I like Norrington (EMI LCPs).
MIFrost
2018-08-03 18:54:42 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
Try this set. Marvelous. You get all the symphonies for a reasonable price and outstanding playing too.
https://www.amazon.com/Gunter-Wand-Conducts-Schubert-G%C3%BCnter/dp/B06X3Q2H6Z

MIFrost
Sol L. Siegel
2018-08-04 12:47:10 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I
still like it. Other 6ths?
I'm fond of Bruno Weil myself.

Why does Beecham take the finale so slowly?

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
jrsnfld
2018-08-05 03:46:30 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I
still like it. Other 6ths?
I'm fond of Bruno Weil myself.
Why does Beecham take the finale so slowly?
It's marked Allegro moderato. Some references take that to mean just short of allegro, or no more than the lowest end of Allegro and peg it at 120 or slightly less. Now, I don't take that too literally, but Beecham takes it at about 117 or slightly quicker in both of his recordings (LPO and RPO). So technically, he's within range of what people have long expected this marking to mean (I have no idea what it meant in Schubert's time).

Furthermore, he's scaled back quite nicely from his choice of tempo for the "presto" of the previous movement. In other words, his tempi make sense in relation to one another, and make sense by some objective standard.

More importantly, the music is supremely delightful at that pace. If you want to hear how clever and sly it can be done to maximize delight, try Kubelik, who basically shifts gears between subjects. (yes, Kubelik steps way out of his mainstream shell for this movement), Once on.a Meteor disc; not sure where to find it presently).

--Jeff
Russ (not Martha)
2018-08-06 03:15:49 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
Ormandy/Phila. Not a foot wrong IMO.

Russ (not Martha)
Frank Berger
2018-08-06 19:51:28 UTC
Which has never been on CD, right?
Randy Lane
2018-08-07 01:27:28 UTC
I have never seen it on CD.
Frank Berger
2018-08-07 02:04:46 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
I have never seen it on CD.
Randy, I assume you are replying to my post about the Ormandy 6th. But
I am not sure because you didn't quote any of it. Doing that would help
people know who you are replying to.
jrsnfld
2018-08-07 05:33:42 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
Ormandy/Phila. Not a foot wrong IMO.
I'll grant this: it is very well played, a beautiful demonstration of the famed Philadelphia virtuosity. Great playing from every section. Moves along smartly. Not a foot wrong indeed.

But I am also reminded (listening again on YT) that I have no real affection for this recording other than the pleasure of the orchestra. Something about how phrases run into phrases in an unyielding pulse of notes, rather than a joyful progression of ideas shaped and colored. Maag's orchestra isn't as impressive, but his interpretation--to take a classic example--yields more range of expression, digs a little deeper.

--Jeff
Haydn House CD
2018-08-30 08:32:00 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
Currently listening to Bohm's BPO Schubert cycle. Big band 6th, but I still like it. Other 6ths?
Os give the LSO / Susskind recording on Mercury some attention.

Haydn House CD
c***@gmail.com
2018-08-30 11:40:38 UTC
No!! LSO/Schmidt-Isserstedt

LSO/Susskind play no. 4 on the other side.

The Schmidt-Isserstedt is one of the best, especially if you want a stong Beethovenian performance
Haydn House CD
Haydn House CD
2018-08-31 11:00:04 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
No!! LSO/Schmidt-Isserstedt
Yes, of course......Mi memoriq!
Haydn House CD
2018-08-31 11:01:57 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
No!! LSO/Schmidt-Isserstedt
Mi Memoria
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-31 11:11:54 UTC
Buy marijuana, cannabis oil, kush, 420 ,weed here without prescription at www.medsshop.org
We are a group of growers dedicated to providing you with best quality of medical marijuana strains . For over 4 years we have been helping people buy the very best marijuana strains ie the world’s best weed strains. Our strains are grown indoor only and we sell at affordable prices. We offer shipping and delivery within the US, Europe and Canada. Long term and regular buyers are given great discount. Same day delivery is guaranteed depending on buyers location. Maximum delivery time out state is 48hrs

www.medsshop.org
Tel: 720 523 5833
Email: ***@gmail.com
Email: ***@protonmail.com