Everest MFG on demand -- no mas?
2020-09-27 20:46:24 UTC
Looks like Amazon has stopped offering manufactured on demand copies of selected Everest titles.

I already snagged most of the ones I wanted but appear to've missed the boat on a Stoki - Wagner Magic Fire Music, barring an expensive Japaneses release.
number_six
2020-09-30 00:21:53 UTC
Looks like they are now available again -- "usually ships in 10 days"
Néstor Castiglione
2020-10-19 01:26:49 UTC
On-demand? I bought a number of them years ago, maybe around 2012. They were factory-pressed discs. I even reached out to the company issuing the remasters of the Everest material and they assured me that their reissues were being pressed on CDs, not CD-Rs. Excellent transfers, far better than those atrocious over-filtered ones from the early 2000s, and equal in quality to the ones reissued in the 1990s. Bought all their recordings of Leopold Ludwig, Eugene Goossens, and Leopold Stokowski, along with a few other things.
Jerry
2020-10-19 13:07:43 UTC
Jerry
2020-10-19 13:12:14 UTC
So, please tell us which c. 2012 re-issuer are you referring to? It couldn’t be
Harkit, whose re-issue series in the UK were soundly trashed.

Jerry
Néstor Castiglione
2020-10-20 00:44:50 UTC
The company is called Countdown Media GmbH. Looking at their disc of Leopold Ludwig conducting Strauss’ Ein Heldenleben right now. It is indeed factory-pressed. My guess is that the initial run in 2012 was pressed on CDs, with all subsequent runs being made-to-order on CD-Rs. Haven’t kept up with Countdown’s reissues since buying their discs all those years ago.

Can’t remember the name of the company which made those mid-2000s reissues, but presumably they were Harkit. Atrocious, godawful sound.

There are also a handful of Everest SACDs in my collection, but cannot recall at the moment who made those.
Frank Berger
2020-10-20 02:26:18 UTC
Post by Néstor Castiglione
The company is called Countdown Media GmbH. Looking at their disc of Leopold Ludwig conducting Strauss’ Ein Heldenleben right now. It is indeed factory-pressed. My guess is that the initial run in 2012 was pressed on CDs, with all subsequent runs being made-to-order on CD-Rs. Haven’t kept up with Countdown’s reissues since buying their discs all those years ago.
Can’t remember the name of the company which made those mid-2000s reissues, but presumably they were Harkit. Atrocious, godawful sound.
There are also a handful of Everest SACDs in my collection, but cannot recall at the moment who made those.
Here the Ludwig Heldenleben Cd can be purchased from Amazon
for a mere $12.95. There is no mention of it being a CD-R or
of Countdown Media. The cover is that of the original LP.

https://tinyurl.com/y2x4qlg3

And here is an ARKIV listing of the 1997 release from
Everest with a different cover:

https://tinyurl.com/y5q5ex6g

Are you saying that you expect the sound to be different on
these?
Néstor Castiglione
2020-10-20 07:13:21 UTC
Post by Néstor Castiglione
[...]
Apparently, they are CD-Rs, at least now. Amazon often doesn't label whether a particular disc is a CD or CD-R. (Found out the hard way a couple weeks ago with a Paul Desmond reissue.) These Countdown transfers were issued on factory-pressed CDs when they initially went on sale eight years ago.

The liner notes relate the following information:

"Executive producer: Mark Jenkins for Countdown Media/Everest. Project coordinator: Helge Jürgens for Countdown Media. Digital transfer and remastering: Lutz Ruppe at Countdown Media using the original master tapes. . . Digital restoration and remastering using Algorithmix software products."

I didn't say I expected them to be anything, but since these transfers and the ones from Arkiv (which are CD-R copies of the ones supervised by Maynard Solomon in the 1990s) are indeed different, then presumably they would also sound different from each other. At least to my ears there's enough to distinguish them: The sound on the older transfers sounds a bit mellower, more tilted towards mid-range blend; the newer ones brighter, with a slightly more profiled treble, and a subtle boost in the bass. Both sound great.

What I did say was that those Harkit transfers, which weren't among your examples, were execrable; their glassy, over-filtered transfers harkening back to the bad ol' days of Iron Needle and Grammofono 2000.
number_six
2020-10-19 19:06:12 UTC
Post by Néstor Castiglione
Post by number_six
Post by number_six
Looks like Amazon has stopped offering manufactured on demand copies of selected Everest titles.
I already snagged most of the ones I wanted but appear to've missed the boat on a Stoki - Wagner Magic Fire Music, barring an expensive Japaneses release.
Looks like they are now available again -- "usually ships in 10 days"
On-demand? I bought a number of them years ago, maybe around 2012. They were factory-pressed discs. I even reached out to the company issuing the remasters of the Everest material and they assured me that their reissues were being pressed on CDs, not CD-Rs. Excellent transfers, far better than those atrocious over-filtered ones from the early 2000s, and equal in quality to the ones reissued in the 1990s. Bought all their recordings of Leopold Ludwig, Eugene Goossens, and Leopold Stokowski, along with a few other things.
There appear to be two distinct lines of Everest CDs -- first came the factory-pressed standard cds, then after that came a line of reissues all of which have a neutral boundary surrounding the image of the original LP cover. Example of latter linked below --

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Farewell-Mazurkas-Canning-Fantasy/dp/B00EB1QXPU/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=everest+cd&qid=1603133153&sr=8-15

These have been variously described as mf'd on demand and ship within 10 days. I assumed they were CD-R but if they are factory-pressed, so much the better.

Maybe I'll pull a couple out of the queue and see how they are.