PROKOFIEV SYMPHONY RECOMMENDATIONS
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-07-30 01:28:14 UTC
I love the ballets (IMHO Romeo and Juliet is the greatest ballet score ever written and effects me in the theater as no other) and the various suites. But I don't really know the symphonies other than the 1st and 5th. Any recommendations for the others?? thanks in advance
msw design
2020-07-30 01:38:16 UTC
You can't go wrong with Jarvi. Just listened to his 2 the other day.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-07-30 02:32:35 UTC
Funny I just listened to Weller in the big Decca Analogue box and liked it esp the sound. Thanks
MELMOTH13
2020-07-30 07:22:04 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
I love the ballets (IMHO Romeo and Juliet is the greatest ballet score ever written and effects me in the theater as no other) and the various suites. But I don't really know the symphonies other than the 1st and 5th. Any recommendations for the others?? thanks in advance
*Weller*...
*Martinon*...
*Rozhdestwensky*...
*Petrenko*...
*Gergiev*...
*Järvi* (Neeme)...

And all *Mravinsky* recordings...
Frank Berger
2020-07-31 14:55:59 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
I love the ballets (IMHO Romeo and Juliet is the greatest
ballet score ever written and effects me in the theater as
no other) and the various suites. But I don't really know
the symphonies other than the 1st and 5th. Any
recommendations for the others?? thanks in advance
*Weller*...
*Martinon*...
*Rozhdestwensky*...
*Petrenko*...
*Gergiev*...
*Järvi* (Neeme)...
And all *Mravinsky* recordings...
I can't find reference to any Prokofiev symphonies by either
Petrenko. Were you thinking of Kitayenko?
MELMOTH13
2020-07-31 15:47:22 UTC
I can't find reference to any Prokofiev symphonies by either Petrenko.
Were you thinking of Kitayenko?
Oops!...Sorry...
I got confused with the Petrenko/Shostakovich (Naxox) set...
Frank Berger
I wish Kirill recorded more.
Bob Harper
2020-07-31 18:19:12 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Post by Frank Berger
I can't find reference to any Prokofiev symphonies by either
Petrenko. Were you thinking of Kitayenko?
Oops!...Sorry...
I got confused with the Petrenko/Shostakovich (Naxox) set...
I wish Kirill recorded more.
Yes. I suppose he doesn't like to?

No idea. No market?
Bob Harper
2020-08-01 00:40:40 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Post by Frank Berger
I can't find reference to any Prokofiev symphonies by either
Petrenko. Were you thinking of Kitayenko?
Oops!...Sorry...
I got confused with the Petrenko/Shostakovich (Naxox) set...
I wish Kirill recorded more.
Yes. I suppose he doesn't like to?
Bob Harper
No idea.  No market?
Well, in the mail today came an invitation (with a free 7-day ticket as
teaser teaser) to subscribe to the BPO's Digital Concert Hall. Maybe
that's the future. Certainly some yummy upcoming concerts, plus a
storehouse of concerts from previous years.

2020-08-02 01:41:25 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Post by Frank Berger
I can't find reference to any Prokofiev symphonies by
either Petrenko. Were you thinking of Kitayenko?
Oops!...Sorry...
I got confused with the Petrenko/Shostakovich (Naxox)
set...
I wish Kirill recorded more.
Yes. I suppose he doesn't like to?
Bob Harper
No idea.  No market?
Well, in the mail today came an invitation (with a free
7-day ticket as teaser teaser) to subscribe to the BPO's
Digital Concert Hall. Maybe that's the future. Certainly
some yummy upcoming concerts, plus a storehouse of concerts
from previous years.
Bob Harper
Connecting your comment to Prokofiev.......

I saw the Chicago SO is streaming a Prokofiev Symphony #3
with Muti recorded in 2018. This reminds me of an aborted
CD release of the same work by the same forces some years
ago (10?). They had announced the release (a Japanese web
site STILL has the graphic for it shown as NLA), but as far
as anyone in RMCR could determine it was never released.
Never saw an explanation, either. I e-mailed the CSO about
it but got no reply. Muti's 3rd with Philadelphia is great.
I wish I could get either of is 3s with Chicago on CD.
Al Eisner
2020-08-02 03:46:46 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
I can't find reference to any Prokofiev symphonies by either Petrenko.
Were you thinking of Kitayenko?
Oops!...Sorry...
I got confused with the Petrenko/Shostakovich (Naxox) set...
I wish Kirill recorded more.
Yes. I suppose he doesn't like to?
Bob Harper
No idea.  No market?
Well, in the mail today came an invitation (with a free 7-day ticket as
teaser teaser) to subscribe to the BPO's Digital Concert Hall. Maybe that's
the future. Certainly some yummy upcoming concerts, plus a storehouse of
concerts from previous years.
Bob Harper
I started a monthly subscription after an earlier month-long free
offer. Lots of good stuff in the archives.

I checked yesterday if any KP Prokofiev was in the BO archives: just
a piano concerto (one with Yuja Wang, plus I think one upcoming).
I checked for Prokofiev with other conductors - all the symphonies I
found (other than "Classical"s) were a #5 with Nezet-Seguin, a #6 with
Gergiev, and a #12 with Dima Slobodeniouk (who?). I moght check
our the Gergiev (with some advance suspicion, however). Not a
thorough search.

But I highly recommend a KP program with Stravinsky's Symphony in
Three Movements and Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances, among a few I've
heard. One attractive program I've not heard has Lars Vogt in
LvB's PC #3 and Elgar's Symphony #2 (not that I'm much of an Elgar
fan, but I'll listen). Of course a Russian conductor would play
Elgar but not Prokofiev. :)
2020-07-30 14:56:43 UTC
There was a 2008 Prokofiev thread, maybe still helpful today, to which I just sent a reply so it is easily found.
number_six
2020-07-31 17:39:22 UTC
I have not surveyed the entire field as some have

Have barely begun in fact

Still I'll share my patchwork of Prokofiev in progress --

1 Marriner, Muti
2 Polyansky
3 Muti
4 Rosstropovich 2 versions
5 Muti, Dorati
6 Jarvi
7 Previn
c***@gmail.com

7 Previn
Raymond Hall
2020-08-01 02:28:11 UTC
Post by number_six
I have not surveyed the entire field as some have
Have barely begun in fact
Still I'll share my patchwork of Prokofiev in progress --
1 Marriner, Muti
2 Polyansky
3 Muti
4 Rosstropovich 2 versions
5 Muti, Dorati
6 Jarvi
7 Previn
I have two full sets, Weller and Kuchar. Kuchar uses a Ukrainian orchestra, as he does for many of his recordings, and the results are very good. Weller is OK but my go-to will always be Kuchar.

Muti is generally very good in a lot of Russian music, (The Fiery Angel is perfect for him), and also Scriabin and Tchaikovsky, but for whatever reason, hardly any Shosty afaik.

Martinon and Jarvi did full sets, very good too, but ideally Prokofiev really needs more weight audio-wise.