BBC Proms 2010: Prom 36 - Berlioz, Chopin, Roussel, Ravel
GP49
2010-08-13 06:13:43 UTC
Prom 36: BBC Symphony Orchestra
Thursday 12 August 2010
Royal Albert Hall

"Berlioz's exuberant portrait of seafaring brigands launches an
evening of colourful virtuosity with Lionel Bringuier – the young
Frenchman already established as Associate Conductor of the Los
Angeles Philharmonic, who tonight makes his Proms debut. Renowned
Chopin interpreter Nelson Freire marks the composer's bicentenary, and
the concert ends with the joyous final scenes from Ravel's lavishly
scored pastoral ballet set in Ancient Greece.

"Roussel's vivid, action-packed Third Symphony is one of the finest
flowerings of the French symphonic tradition that began with Saint-
Saëns and Franck." -BBC

* Berlioz Overture 'Le corsaire' (9 mins)
* Chopin Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor (31 mins)
* Gluck Excerpt from Orfeo et Eurydice (encore)
* Roussel Symphony No. 3 (25 mins)
* Ravel Daphnis and Chloë – Suite No. 2 (18 mins)

* Nelson Freire piano

* BBC Symphony Orchestra
* Lionel Bringuier conductor

How is the pianist's name pronounced, anyway? Before and during the
broadcast I heard "Free-aire" (which isn't the way it's spelled);
"Frerr"; and "Free-AIR-Ee."

Six FLACs:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8qi3i0qq907qb

or

http://tinyurl.com/Prom36
Nick Sun
Thanks. But the link to Roussel Sym.3 doesn't work, there is no data.
GP49
2010-08-13 19:56:39 UTC
Post by Nick Sun
Post by GP49
[...]
Thanks for letting me know. I'll take a look at it later.

The page for the entire folder says it's got 122.6MB. I don't want to
try and do a test download now, as I'm capturing the live stream for
Prom 37 right now and may have to go back and re-record from the
delayed feed, as there have been many dropouts today.
GP49
2010-08-14 02:18:46 UTC
Post by Nick Sun
Post by GP49
[...]

Give it another go, now.

When I tried to access it, Mediafire said "no server available" with
this file on it. Be that as it may, or may not, I deleted the
original Roussel file and replaced it. New file is titled "5 Roussel
Symphony 3.flac " instead of "5...Sym 3..." and it's downloaded fine
for me.
Nigel Curtis
2010-08-14 10:55:11 UTC
Thanks, I downloaded the Berlioz. The BBC SO can sometimes sound bored
+ sloppy but they were galvanised that night.

cheers Nigel
herman
2010-08-14 12:05:08 UTC
Post by GP49
    * Berlioz Overture 'Le corsaire' (9 mins)
    * Chopin Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor (31 mins)
    * Gluck Excerpt from Orfeo et Eurydice (encore)
    * Roussel Symphony No. 3 (25 mins)
    * Ravel Daphnis and Chloë – Suite No. 2 (18 mins)
    * Nelson Freire piano
    * BBC Symphony Orchestra
    * Lionel Bringuier conductor
How is the pianist's name pronounced, anyway?  Before and during the
broadcast I heard "Free-aire" (which isn't the way it's spelled);
"Frerr"; and "Free-AIR-Ee."
I think it's pronounced as Frerr, or as the French for brother.

But really this is one of the rare instances where TD could be
helpful, since he appears to be acquainted with NF.

I'm listening to the Chopin right now, thanks very much.