Wilhelm Backhaus - The Complete Decca Recordings
Add Reply
Rosin
2019-06-13 06:42:27 UTC
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/wilhelm-backhaus-the-complete-decca-recordings/hnum/9275187

A long overdue tribute to one of the greatest pianists of 20th century, including first international release of the 1950s Beethoven Piano Sonatas as well as his last recital.
t***@gmail.com
2019-06-29 03:38:00 UTC
Thank you! It's on pre-sale at Amazon.it.
J.A.W.
2019-08-23 20:57:21 UTC
Got a message today that the Backhaus set has been postponed indefinitely. Doesn't sound good.
Randy Lane
2019-08-23 21:53:11 UTC
The release date on Amazon.de got pushed back to December a few weeks ago.
J.A.W.
2019-08-23 22:58:39 UTC
I know, that's why I asked another store about it (JPC) and they confirmed the release date of the set had been put back indefinitely. Like Amazon Germany JPC have now posted a December 31 date on their site, but they said that it is a fictional release date.
Randy Lane
2019-08-23 23:12:55 UTC
I am fine with the delay. September and October already have enough new stuff I want.
drh8h
2019-08-24 00:02:37 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Got a message today that the Backhaus set has been postponed indefinitely. Doesn't sound good.
Rather obviates the purpose of being a fiftieth-anniversary commemoration. I wonder if its technical problems, budget or too ambitious a release schedule. Guess this means I have more money for Bruno Walter.

DH
Randy Lane
2019-08-24 01:07:47 UTC
Likely technical/QA.
A few years ago an industry worker with executive contacts told me an error requiring replacements erases all profits. Some of the early sets (Gould, Karajan) supposedly made no profit because of the glitches.
Last years gaff with the Pavarotti sleeves was bad, but I've never seen anyone successful getting them replaced.
J.A.W.
2019-09-19 23:48:43 UTC
Checked several stores again concerning the release date of the Backhaus set and it's now listed as either unavailable or a fictional date is mentioned.
Invocation
2019-09-20 03:37:18 UTC
在 2019年9月19日星期四 UTC-4下午7:48:45,J.A.W.写道:
Post by J.A.W.
Checked several stores again concerning the release date of the Backhaus set and it's now listed as either unavailable or a fictional date is mentioned.
Presto now lists it as release on Dec 27, 2019:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8664396--wilhelm-backhaus-complete-decca-recordings
J.A.W.
2019-09-20 11:10:31 UTC
That is a fictional date. Other stores mention 31 December. There's no actual release date yet.
drh8h
2019-09-20 11:58:43 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Checked several stores again concerning the release date of the Backhaus set and it's now listed as either unavailable or a fictional date is mentioned.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8664396--wilhelm-backhaus-complete-decca-recordings
That is a fictional date. Other stores mention 31 December. There's no actual release date yet.
If you look at the mock-up picture on Amazon in higher resolution, you will see on the open page of the booklet a disc running to 91.15! Maybe somebody decided that was not a good idea?

DH
m***@gmail.com
2020-04-29 19:46:34 UTC
how is the quality of this box regarding sound transfer and documentation? if I already had the mono recording from Japan and the stereo recording from old decca, is it worthy getting this box? thanks for suggestions.
drh8h
2020-05-05 12:55:11 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
how is the quality of this box regarding sound transfer and documentation? if I already had the mono recording from Japan and the stereo recording from old decca, is it worthy getting this box? thanks for suggestions.
I have been listening through this set slowly, and the transfers have been consistently excellent, better than any JP issues or the stereo box set of sonatas I previously encountered. With that in mind, a few poor sounding ones, like the LvB Concerto 2 with Krauss have the scratchy sound we associate with early Decca lp recordings, but at least the transfer sounds honest.

DH
m***@gmail.com
2020-05-08 03:51:50 UTC
Thank you very much DH.
drh8h
2020-05-08 12:42:17 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Thank you very much DH.
I will add one point: the stereo set of sonatas was made over a long span of years, and the sound varies, and some of the later recordings were among the poorer ones, having a thin sound. The previous version suffered from the same issue. Perhaps some of the master tapes were lost. Even Decca could put out clunkers. The Dorati Haydn Symphony set has a large swath of inferior sounding recordings sort of right in the middle of the series.

DH
Me
2020-07-02 00:50:23 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by m***@gmail.com
how is the quality of this box regarding sound transfer and documentation? if I already had the mono recording from Japan and the stereo recording from old decca, is it worthy getting this box? thanks for suggestions.
I have been listening through this set slowly, and the transfers have been consistently excellent, better than any JP issues or the stereo box set of sonatas I previously encountered. With that in mind, a few poor sounding ones, like the LvB Concerto 2 with Krauss have the scratchy sound we associate with early Decca lp recordings, but at least the transfer sounds honest.
DH
Thanks for this. Can you say a bit more about how the new box improves on the original DECCA Japan CDs of the mono Beethoven sonatas?

George

RiRiIII
2020-05-07 07:54:27 UTC
Post by Rosin
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/wilhelm-backhaus-the-complete-decca-recordings/hnum/9275187
A long overdue tribute to one of the greatest pianists of 20th century, including first international release of the 1950s Beethoven Piano Sonatas as well as his last recital.
SOS SUPER PRICE AT AMAZON.DE >> 70 eur at check out

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Backhaus-Complete-Decca-Recordings-Ltd-Edt/dp/B07T1L1VXQ/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/257-3857080-5911942?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07T1L1VXQ&pd_rd_r=9f1c5195-faff-4670-8cd6-a72f1603885c&pd_rd_w=cl7fe&pd_rd_wg=9QwoR&pf_rd_p=334c2d1b-2e55-4bd9-b8d2-dcecf26eb7db&pf_rd_r=ZVYX04PCJ04FX2KPV5NE&psc=1&refRID=ZVYX04PCJ04FX2KPV5NE
Me
Looks like they are sold out "This title usually ships within 28 - 42 days."
v***@protonmail.com
2020-06-16 14:40:29 UTC
Post by Me
Post by RiRiIII
Post by Rosin
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/wilhelm-backhaus-the-complete-decca-recordings/hnum/9275187
A long overdue tribute to one of the greatest pianists of 20th century, including first international release of the 1950s Beethoven Piano Sonatas as well as his last recital.
SOS SUPER PRICE AT AMAZON.DE >> 70 eur at check out
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Backhaus-Complete-Decca-Recordings-Ltd-Edt/dp/B07T1L1VXQ/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/257-3857080-5911942?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07T1L1VXQ&pd_rd_r=9f1c5195-faff-4670-8cd6-a72f1603885c&pd_rd_w=cl7fe&pd_rd_wg=9QwoR&pf_rd_p=334c2d1b-2e55-4bd9-b8d2-dcecf26eb7db&pf_rd_r=ZVYX04PCJ04FX2KPV5NE&psc=1&refRID=ZVYX04PCJ04FX2KPV5NE
Looks like they are sold out "This title usually ships within 28 - 42 days."
I just got an Audite 2-cd set of his 1969 Berlin recital, and so far am impressed.
Real backbone in this man's playing (first time I've heard him).
v***@protonmail.com
2020-06-16 14:52:24 UTC
Adding: I haven't been through the archives, so please forgive the question: is there a stereo Backhaus Beethoven sonatas cycle, and if so, how does it compare to the mono one?

C.
r***@gmail.com
2020-06-18 12:04:40 UTC
Yes he recorded a stereo cycle, but never got around to rerecording the Hammerklavier, so the stereo cycle reuses the older mono recording.

I prefer the mono cycle, on the mono he sounds more like he does in many of his live recordings.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-06-18 15:32:47 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
Yes he recorded a stereo cycle, but never got around to rerecording the Hammerklavier, so the stereo cycle reuses the older mono recording.
I prefer the mono cycle, on the mono he sounds more like he does in many of his live recordings.
Thanks very much for your reply, and good to hear about the two cycles. I'm *really* taken with his playing
right now, and have two discs on order: the Philips Great Pianists 2cd, and a live Orfeo LvB on back order.
If there are any standout sonatas for you or anyone, please mention them?

C.
Frank Berger
2020-06-18 16:23:56 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by r***@gmail.com
Yes he recorded a stereo cycle, but never got around to rerecording the Hammerklavier, so the stereo cycle reuses the older mono recording.
I prefer the mono cycle, on the mono he sounds more like he does in many of his live recordings.
Thanks very much for your reply, and good to hear about the two cycles. I'm *really* taken with his playing
right now, and have two discs on order: the Philips Great Pianists 2cd, and a live Orfeo LvB on back order.
If there are any standout sonatas for you or anyone, please mention them?
C.
If you are talking about the 1966 Bach, Mozart and Beethoven
recital, cat # 530001, there are a couple of cheap used
copies on Amazon, should the one you have on order not come
through.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-06-18 17:41:14 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by r***@gmail.com
Yes he recorded a stereo cycle, but never got around to rerecording the Hammerklavier, so the stereo cycle reuses the older mono recording.
I prefer the mono cycle, on the mono he sounds more like he does in many of his live recordings.
Thanks very much for your reply, and good to hear about the two cycles. I'm *really* taken with his playing
right now, and have two discs on order: the Philips Great Pianists 2cd, and a live Orfeo LvB on back order.
If there are any standout sonatas for you or anyone, please mention them?
C.
If you are talking about the 1966 Bach, Mozart and Beethoven
recital, cat # 530001, there are a couple of cheap used
copies on Amazon, should the one you have on order not come
through.
Thanks. It's a 1968 all-Beethoven recording that I have on backorder, but I mght pick up the one you mention, as well.