Frauenliebe und Leben - favourites?
2019-08-11 09:07:33 UTC
Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.

So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
g***@gmail.com
2019-08-11 09:39:23 UTC
Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away...
Didn't Loewe also set it to music?:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.opera/Frauenliebe%7Csort:date/rec.music.opera/iPP7WJHt_M4/7BGcA_nFoywJ
g***@gmail.com
2019-08-11 09:41:58 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
Each of the following has made a recording of it:

Stader
Ameling
Della Casa
g***@gmail.com
2019-08-11 09:53:32 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
Stader
Ameling
Della Casa
For comparison's sake, do you know about this cd?:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1093&bih=526&ei=N-VPXZ6HHtHn-wTi85KgAQ&q=Frauenliebe+und+Leben+great+interpretations+cd&oq=Frauenliebe+und+Leben+great+interpretations+cd&gs_l=img.3...1559.8655..8774...0.0..0.308.2780.18j8j0j1......0....2j1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i24j0i30.S9gS9VYAzbs&ved=0ahUKEwje_sfaxfrjAhXR854KHeK5BBQQ4dUDCAU&uact=5#imgrc=UQb6_RQv_gJA1M:
Andy Evans
2019-08-11 10:05:29 UTC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p03p435v BBC Record Review

I'm going through some Youtube versions - most are there but not Persson or Banse which are both nice, or Stader who I don't know.

So far on YT liking Von Otter, Kozena live (wow), Fassbaender, Fink, Della Casa, Bonney, Connolly, Auger, Popp, Lott, Seefried, Behrens, Price (M and L), Mathis, Roschmann and Ameling. I've just listened to the first 2 songs, so plenty more listening to come.
g***@gmail.com
2019-08-11 10:10:08 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p03p435v BBC Record Review
I'm going through some Youtube versions - most are there but not Persson or Banse which are both nice, or Stader who I don't know.
So far on YT liking Von Otter, Kozena live (wow), Fassbaender, Fink, Della Casa, Bonney, Connolly, Auger, Popp, Lott, Seefried, Behrens, Price (M and L), Mathis, Roschmann and Ameling. I've just listened to the first 2 songs, so plenty more listening to come.
The Stader recording may not have been issued on cd yet. Here is the lp:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1093&bih=526&ei=FOlPXf7FJZTF-gT_-ZuADw&q=stader+schumann+lp&oq=stader+schumann+lp&gs_l=img.3...1819.8528..8926...0.0..0.342.2177.12j6j0j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......35i39j0j0i5i30j0i30j0i10i30j0i8i30j0i24.lUkYfxXZA28&ved=0ahUKEwj-n5uyyfrjAhWUop4KHf_8BvAQ4dUDCAU&uact=5#imgrc=2QMDhzhkO3nYmM:
number_six
2019-08-11 23:46:48 UTC
It's also on disk 2 of a 4-CD Christa Ludwig box on EMI -- listening to her now
music lover
2019-08-12 04:07:54 UTC
Have not listened for a number of years but Kathleen Ferrier I recall as very moving.
Andy Evans
2019-08-12 10:12:30 UTC
I'm a fan of Magdalena Kozena in this - it's on Youtube. No dates unless maybe it's in Japanese?

Kozena seems to have been stuck in Handel/Mozart and that era for a lot of her career - not sure why. She has sung Mahler, Carmen and Kat'a Kabanova though. She used to be married to a French singer, so she may have some familiarity with French though she was miscast in L'enfant et les sortilèges with Rattle.

I've also been enjoying Bernarda Finck

Alan Dawes
2019-08-11 09:44:14 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
Janet Baker - her first recording accompanied by Martin Isepp. Recorded in
1966 by SAGA when I was a teenager and just off to university having been
bowled over by her - standing at the front of the arena at the proms in
London. I bought the original LP and about 15 years ago I got the REGIS CD
release in better sound. There are later recordings which sound better
which are all very good but I still prefer that earlier version. Here is a
link to the music web review which mentions her transposing but it doesn't
effect my opinion.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2005/Nov05/Janet_Baker_RRC1225.htm

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Mandryka
2019-08-11 10:14:51 UTC
I saw Loraine Hunt Lieberson sing this and it was a good night out.
Andy Evans
2019-08-11 10:29:10 UTC
I really should go to more live concerts - I'll see what lieder's about in London.
wkasimer
2019-08-11 15:40:55 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
Barbara Bonney
Sena Jurinac
Anne Sofie von Otter
Brigitte Fassbaender
Randy Lane
2019-08-11 16:40:17 UTC
Ameling/Baldwin
Lehmann/Walter
Frank Berger
2019-08-11 16:57:33 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Ameling/Baldwin
Lehmann/Walter
I love Ameling though she may be a little to laid back for Frauenliebe,

Are there any terrible recordings?
JohnGavin
2019-08-11 17:10:22 UTC
Always an Ameling fan —- no mention of Schwarzkopf. I have never heard it.
Mandryka
2019-08-11 17:12:36 UTC
Has anyone got a recording of a man singing it? Matthias Goerne did it, I'd like to have heard that. Here he is talking about it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/opera/3651564/I-understand-how-to-be-a-woman.html
g***@gmail.com
2019-08-11 17:40:00 UTC
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1093&bih=526&ei=N-VPXZ6HHtHn-wTi85KgAQ&q=Frauenliebe+und+Leben+great+interpretations+cd&oq=Frauenliebe+und+Leben+great+interpretations+cd&gs_l=img.3...1559.8655..8774...0.0..0.308.2780.18j8j0j1......0....2j1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i24j0i30.S9gS9VYAzbs&ved=0ahUKEwje_sfaxfrjAhXR854KHeK5BBQQ4dUDCAU&uact=5#imgrc=u1yavL7jLTGzMM:
Lawrence Kart
2019-08-11 16:57:01 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Believe it or not I just discovered this lovely song cycle - not sure how it got away.
So looking for some good versions now. Suggestions?
Mathis; the partnership between her and her accompanist, Eschenbach, is ideal.