2020 Amsterdam Mahler Festival
2018-11-07 19:04:11 UTC
The Amsterdam Concertgebouw is announcing a Mahler Festival in May 2020.

All symphonies will be performed (just like the previous Mahler Festival, in 1995) by an orchestra historically connected to the composer.

Nrs 1 and 2 will be played by the New York Phil, cond. Jaap van Zweden.

Nrs. 3 and 9 by the Concertgebouw Orchestra - they're still figuring out which conductor, I'm guessing Haitink will do nr 9.

Kirill Petrenko will conduct 4 and 6 with the Berliner Philharmoniker.

Nrs 5 and 7 will be played by the Wiener Philharmoniker, cond. Daniel Barenboim.

Ivan Fischer will conduct the Budapest Festival Orchestra, conducting the Nr. 10 Adagio and Das Lied von der Erde.

Tix sales will start as of November 20, apparently, and I'm guessing they will be much too expensive for the likes of me. Besides, I have heard a sufficient amount of Mahler back in the Eighties.
Bob Harper
2018-11-07 21:29:48 UTC
The Amsterdam Concertgebouw is announcing a Mahler Festival in May 2020.
All symphonies will be performed (just like the previous Mahler Festival, in 1995) by an orchestra historically connected to the composer.
Nrs 1 and 2 will be played by the New York Phil, cond. Jaap van Zweden.
Nrs. 3 and 9 by the Concertgebouw Orchestra - they're still figuring out which conductor, I'm guessing Haitink will do nr 9.
Kirill Petrenko will conduct 4 and 6 with the Berliner Philharmoniker.
Nrs 5 and 7 will be played by the Wiener Philharmoniker, cond. Daniel Barenboim.
Ivan Fischer will conduct the Budapest Festival Orchestra, conducting the Nr. 10 Adagio and Das Lied von der Erde.
Tix sales will start as of November 20, apparently, and I'm guessing they will be much too expensive for the likes of me. Besides, I have heard a sufficient amount of Mahler back in the Eighties.
No 8th? I imagine you're right about the price, but should I win the lottery it will be on my list :)

Bob Harper
Rich Sauer
2018-11-07 23:19:57 UTC
Bob Harper plays the lottery?
Bob Harper
2018-11-09 00:08:02 UTC
Post by Rich Sauer
Bob Harper plays the lottery?
Sure, when it's enough to be filthy rich rather than just comfortably
rich :)

2018-11-08 07:08:09 UTC
No 8th? I imagine you're right about the price, but should I win the lottery it will be on my list :)
Bob Harper
I didn't see the 8th on the list, and frankly I hadn't even noticed, that's how numerate I am...

There's talk of a 2100 euro price for the entire series, per seat.
Herman
2018-11-08 07:09:25 UTC
There's talk of a 2100 euro price for the entire series, per seat.
However then you're guaranteed done with Mahler for the rest of your life.
Bob Harper
2018-11-08 18:58:05 UTC
No 8th? I imagine you're right about the price, but should I win the lottery it will be on my list :)
Bob Harper
I didn't see the 8th on the list, and frankly I hadn't even noticed, that's how numerate I am...
There's talk of a 2100 euro price for the entire series, per seat.
Ouch. That definitely puts it into lottery winning territory for me :)

2018-11-08 01:04:46 UTC
The Amsterdam Concertgebouw is announcing a Mahler Festival in May 2020.
Tix sales will start as of November 20, apparently,
and I'm guessing they will be much too expensive
for the likes of me. Besides, I have heard a
sufficient amount of Mahler back in the Eighties.
Thanks for letting everyone know!
Don't you have a permanent seat
on stage?

2018-11-08 11:23:46 UTC
==I didn't see the 8th

I think both Abbado and Haitink gave up with that beast later on in their careers.

Jonathan Dunsby
Frank Berger
2018-11-08 13:14:58 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
==I didn't see the 8th
I think both Abbado and Haitink gave up with that beast later on in their careers.
Jonathan Dunsby
The Concertgebouw web site mentions all the symphonies will be
performed. How could it be otherwise? I'm guessing the schedule of
whom plays what and when hasn't been finalized.
w***@gmail.com
2018-11-08 14:19:18 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
==I didn't see the 8th
I think both Abbado and Haitink gave up with that beast later on in their careers.
Jonathan Dunsby
The Concertgebouw web site mentions all the symphonies will be
performed. How could it be otherwise? I'm guessing the schedule of
whom plays what and when hasn't been finalized.
Indeed the schedule has been finalized.
https://www.concertgebouw.nl/passe-partout-mahler-festival-voor-aandeelhouders
Frank Berger
Not in English.
Herman
2018-11-08 14:37:28 UTC
Not in English.
I expect an intern is yet working on an English version.
Frank Berger
2018-11-08 15:04:46 UTC
Not in English.
I expect an intern is yet working on an English version.
Here what google translate produced. Note there are two performances of
the 8th.

Mahler's First Symphony - New York Philharmonic & Jaap of Sweden

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

New York Philharmonic, Jaap van Zweden (conductor), Roderick Williams
(baritone)

Mahler
za
09 May
Mahler's Second Symphony - New York Philharmonic & Jaap from Sweden

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

New York Philharmonic, Groot Omroepkoor, Jaap van Zweden (conductor),
Joélle Harvey (soprano), Sasha Cooke (mezzo-soprano)

Mahler
so
May 10th
Mahler's Third Symphony - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Groot Omroepkoor, National Children's
Choir, ntb (conductor), Gerhild Romberger (alto)

Mahler
ma
11 May
Mahler's Fourth Symphony - Berliner Philharmoniker & Kirill Petrenko

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Berliner Philharmoniker, Kirill Petrenko (conductor), Christiane Karg
(soprano), Elisabeth Kulman (mezzo-soprano)

Mahler
di
May 12th
Mahler's Fifth Symphony - Wiener Philharmoniker & Daniel Barenboim

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Vienna Philharmonic, Daniel Barenboim (conductor), Okka von der Damerau
(mezzo-soprano)

Mahler
wo
13 May
Mahler's Sixth Symphony - Berliner Philharmoniker & Kirill Petrenko

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Berliner Philharmoniker, Kirill Petrenko (conductor)

Mahler
do
May 14
Mahler's Seventh Symphony - Wiener Philharmoniker & Daniel Barenboim

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Vienna Philharmonic, Daniel Barenboim (conductor)

Mahler
vr
15 May
Mahler's Eighth Symphony - Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester & Daniel Harding

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester, Groot Omroepkoor, Daniel Harding
(conductor), ntb (soloists)

Mahler
za
May 16
Mahler's Eighth Symphony - Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester & Daniel Harding

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 14:15

Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester, Groot Omroepkoor, National Mixed Youth
Choir, National Children's Choir, MUSA

Mahler
za
May 16
Mahler's Ninth Symphony - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, ntb (conductor)

Mahler, Veldhuizen
so
May 17
Mahlers Das Lied von der Erde - Budapest Festival Orchestra & Iván Fischer

This concert will take place in the Great Hall, starting at 20:15

Budapest Festival Orchestra, Iván Fischer (conductor), Gerhild Romberger
(mezzo-soprano), Andrew Staples (tenor)
Herman
2018-11-08 14:39:38 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
==I didn't see the 8th
I see. Nr Eighth will be performed twice by the Gustav Mahler Jugend Orchestra and a bunch of choirs, conducted by Daniel Harding.
Bob Harper
2018-11-08 18:59:49 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
==I didn't see the 8th
I think both Abbado and Haitink gave up with that beast later on in their careers.
Jonathan Dunsby
IIRC, Haitink only recorded it at Phillips's insistence; he also made some disparaging comments about the work.

2018-11-08 19:05:17 UTC
IIRC, Haitink only recorded it at Phillips's insistence; he also made some disparaging comments about the work.
Bob Harper
That's correct. He also said one shouldn't hear Mahler too frequently.

i think he's limited himself to M9, now. Recently he jumped in for the disgraced Gatti, who was slated to do M&, and Haitink had it changed to M9.
Bob Harper
2018-11-08 22:42:13 UTC
IIRC, Haitink only recorded it at Phillips's insistence; he also made some disparaging comments about the work.
Bob Harper
That's correct. He also said one shouldn't hear Mahler too frequently.
i think he's limited himself to M9, now. Recently he jumped in for the disgraced Gatti, who was slated to do M&, and Haitink had it changed to M9.
I think he has a point about not hearing Mahler too frequently. The music, at least some of it, needs a sense of occasion to make its full effect. The same goes, IMO, for Bruckner 8 and 9, and, dare I say it, for the Beethoven 9th.

2018-11-09 07:08:32 UTC
indeed.
Michael Lee
2018-11-11 07:19:48 UTC
The Amsterdam Concertgebouw is announcing a Mahler Festival in May 2020.
All symphonies will be performed (just like the previous Mahler Festival, in 1995) by an orchestra historically connected to the composer.
Nrs 1 and 2 will be played by the New York Phil, cond. Jaap van Zweden.
Nrs. 3 and 9 by the Concertgebouw Orchestra - they're still figuring out which conductor, I'm guessing Haitink will do nr 9.
Kirill Petrenko will conduct 4 and 6 with the Berliner Philharmoniker.
Nrs 5 and 7 will be played by the Wiener Philharmoniker, cond. Daniel Barenboim.
Ivan Fischer will conduct the Budapest Festival Orchestra, conducting the Nr. 10 Adagio and Das Lied von der Erde.
Tix sales will start as of November 20, apparently, and I'm guessing they will be much too expensive for the likes of me. Besides, I have heard a sufficient amount of Mahler back in the Eighties.
I don't think the BPO historically connected to Mahler - or did I miss
the connection?
Frank Berger
2018-11-11 16:12:12 UTC
Where to start?
Gerard
2018-11-11 22:54:45 UTC
Mahler of course.
Thornhill
2018-11-12 03:58:22 UTC
Putting aside price, it's pretty annoying that it's spread across 10 days. Given that there will be multiple orchestras, they could easily do two concerts a day, even three. And that's how these kinds of festivals are supposed to work.

I bet this will result in a lot of empty seats. They'll sell out thanks to rich tourists, but they're not going to go to every concert. I mean, as much as I like Amsterdam and the Netherlands, who wants to spend two weeks there?

And the price is absurd. A minimum of $200 a concert? Come on. Given how often these orchestras perform Mahler, you can do your own Mahler Fest whenever you want at less than half the price.