"Like Gulda"
Add Reply
f***@gmail.com
2019-07-22 17:57:41 UTC
Last night I heard for the first time in my life recordings of Friederich Gulda playing Mozart and was impressed. Unfortunately, there are no complete sets of him playing the concertos or sonatas, and the "Gulda Tapes" releases are in bad sound.

Are there any complete sets of the Mozart sonatas or concertos, by a pianist playing...uhmmm..."like Gulda", I mean...a strong sound, unfussy, energetic, charismatic...exciting...(apologies in advance - only Gulda plays "like Gulda")

Thank you,

Simonel
Johannes Roehl
2019-07-22 21:12:05 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Last night I heard for the first time in my life recordings of Friederich Gulda playing Mozart and was impressed. Unfortunately, there are no complete sets of him playing the concertos or sonatas, and the "Gulda Tapes" releases are in bad sound.
I cannot answer your question but note that there are around 5 sonatas in decent studio quality sound. One with K 570, 576 and 475 on DG from almost the same time of the "Mozart tapes" and 331 and 333? and maybe another one on Amadeo (somewhat earlier, late 60s or early 70s).

It is extremely puzzling to me that there is no more or less complete set of Gulda Mozart sonatas at the Bavarian Radio. He supposedly played all or most of the sonatas in concerts in Munich in the early 80s or so and it seems hard to believe that nothing was recorded/broadcasted and that the poor "Mozart tapes" are all we have from that time.
Mandryka
2019-07-23 10:18:05 UTC
For a complete set of the Mozart which has strong sound, unfussy, energetic, charismatic...exciting . . .

Try Leon McCawley on modern piano, Siegbert Rampe on proper Mozart instruments. In fact I’ve just started exploring Colin Tilney’s Mozart sonatas myself, i haven’t heard all of it but what I have heard fits the bill I think.
s***@nycap.rr.com
2019-07-23 14:06:00 UTC
Post by Mandryka
For a complete set of the Mozart which has strong sound, unfussy, energetic, charismatic...exciting . . .
Try Leon McCawley on modern piano, Siegbert Rampe on proper Mozart instruments. In fact I’ve just started exploring Colin Tilney’s Mozart sonatas myself, i haven’t heard all of it but what I have heard fits the bill I think.
Might I also recommend Buchbinder on modern piano or Alexei Lubimov on fortepiano.

MIFrost