Best of Barbirolli
Add Reply
msw design
2019-05-24 19:14:58 UTC
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for him, but for me.

I used to count JB as one of my three favorite conductors, but that was a long time ago. I still find his Vaughan Williams and Elgar among the best and but reach for his other recordings quite infrequently.

To my ears, the most reliable JB recordings are his NY Phil ones- I've never heard one that disappointed me. The Tchaikovsky 5/Schumann 4 disc comes to mind. But mostly I haven't listend to him much in recent years. If others have some suggestions, I might reacquaint myself more.
c***@gmail.com
2019-05-24 20:43:34 UTC
Post by msw design
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for him, but for me.
I used to count JB as one of my three favorite conductors, but that was a long time ago. I still find his Vaughan Williams and Elgar among the best and but reach for his other recordings quite infrequently.
To my ears, the most reliable JB recordings are his NY Phil ones- I've never heard one that disappointed me. The Tchaikovsky 5/Schumann 4 disc comes to mind. But mostly I haven't listend to him much in recent years. If others have some suggestions, I might reacquaint myself more.
Fwiw, the Mindru Katz/Barbirolli "Emperor" Concerto is a great favorite of mine. A brilliant performance. Too bad they didn't record more together

2019-05-24 22:17:23 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by msw design
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for him, but for me.
I used to count JB as one of my three favorite conductors, but that was a long time ago. I still find his Vaughan Williams and Elgar among the best and but reach for his other recordings quite infrequently.
To my ears, the most reliable JB recordings are his NY Phil ones- I've never heard one that disappointed me. The Tchaikovsky 5/Schumann 4 disc comes to mind. But mostly I haven't listend to him much in recent years. If others have some suggestions, I might reacquaint myself more.
Fwiw, the Mindru Katz/Barbirolli "Emperor" Concerto is a great favorite of mine. A brilliant performance. Too bad they didn't record more together
AC
I love several of his Halle recordings that appeared on Pye (and Vanguard in the U.S.) and have since turned up on EMI and Dutton. His Tchaikovsky 4 and 5 are thrilling, wonderful in every way (the slow movement of the 4th is especially eloquent). His Halle Enigma is very exciting, as is his Sibelius 5. As an accompanist, he is superb in his Elgar Cello Concerto with DuPre and the Mahler Ruckert lieder with Janet Baker (the Halle "Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen" even more magical than their New Philharmonia remake). One of the funniest "Tritsch-Tratsch" Polkas I have ever heard is on his "Viennese Evening at the Proms" disc from August 9, 1969, with the Halle on BBC Legends. I must say, however, that his much-acclaimed Royal Phil Sibelius 2 on Chesky and his Mahler 5 with the New Philharmonia on EMI are disappointingly stodgy to my ears.

Mark
AB
2019-05-25 00:10:38 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by msw design
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for him, but for me.
I used to count JB as one of my three favorite conductors, but that was a long time ago. I still find his Vaughan Williams and Elgar among the best and but reach for his other recordings quite infrequently.
To my ears, the most reliable JB recordings are his NY Phil ones- I've never heard one that disappointed me. The Tchaikovsky 5/Schumann 4 disc comes to mind. But mostly I haven't listend to him much in recent years. If others have some suggestions, I might reacquaint myself more.
Fwiw, the Mindru Katz/Barbirolli "Emperor" Concerto is a great favorite of mine. A brilliant performance. Too bad they didn't record more together
AC
have that recording.. not impressed by Barbirolli, Katz is tremendous
AB
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-05-25 01:08:24 UTC
His Beethoven 3!!!!
g***@gmail.com
2019-05-25 03:51:23 UTC
https://www.talkclassical.com/34918-thoughts-about-glorious-john.html
r***@gmail.com
2019-05-25 12:25:07 UTC
I still keep his stereo Sibelius cycle partly for sentimental reasons, and a broad approach. Berglund/Bournemouth my go to cycle. Maazel VPO next, followed by Davis Boston SO.

JB's Mahler 9th with the BPO and some Mahler lied.

Ray Hall, Taree
Arno Schuh
2019-05-26 08:29:28 UTC
Post by msw design
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli
recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for
him, but for me.
Probably because it was the second or third version of the Berlioz Symphonie
Fantastique I ever listened to - it still is one of my favourite recording
of that piece.

Arno
Joe
2019-05-26 15:52:24 UTC
Post by msw design
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for him, but for me.
I imprinted on the Barenboim/Barbirolli Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto many years ago--indulgent no doubt, but I don't know that I've enjoyed any version more.

Joe Markley
Plantsville, Connecticut
H***@comcast.net
2019-05-27 13:06:40 UTC
One massive omission! His three recordings of the Elgar First Sympony.
Alex Brown
2019-05-27 17:05:36 UTC
Post by msw design
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for him, but for me.
I used to count JB as one of my three favorite conductors, but that was a long time ago. I still find his Vaughan Williams and Elgar among the best and but reach for his other recordings quite infrequently.
To my ears, the most reliable JB recordings are his NY Phil ones- I've never heard one that disappointed me. The Tchaikovsky 5/Schumann 4 disc comes to mind. But mostly I haven't listend to him much in recent years. If others have some suggestions, I might reacquaint myself more.
From my collection, the two Barbirolli things which stand out are:

* His studio 1960s Pomp & Circumstance marches with the Philharmonia on
EMI. These have that extra bit of colour and life that make them special.

* His Bruckner 8 on BBC Legends (Hallé, Proms, 1970) - a surprisingly
fleet and anguished reading.
- Alex Brown
Alan Hayward
2019-05-27 19:31:32 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
* His Bruckner 8 on BBC Legends (Hallé, Proms, 1970) - a surprisingly
fleet and anguished reading.
For me, that Bruckner 8 is rather special. Fast tempi, as you suggest, and quite different from Karajan's last recording of the same version (Haas 1890). "Anguished" is one way to describe the performance. I remember one reviewer (I forget who) quoting Dylan Thomas to describe it: "Do not go gentle into that that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light". I am reminded of that every time I hear the performance.

Incidentally, this was JB's last London concert (Festival Hall, 20 May 1970). It was too early for the Proms.
Randy Lane
2019-05-27 19:38:36 UTC
Grieg Norwegian Dances with the Halle on this twofer:

https://www.amazon.com/Orchestral-Works-Grieg/dp/B0007RA7B8/
Alex Brown
2019-05-28 11:41:49 UTC
Post by Alan Hayward
Incidentally, this was JB's last London concert (Festival Hall, 20
May > 1970). It was too early for the Proms.

You're quite right. It almost sounds too good (for it *is* well
recorded) to be the RFH !
- Alex Brown
g***@gmail.com
2019-06-07 02:57:10 UTC
Post by msw design
In honor of Randy hunting down his Korean 100-Cd box of Barbirolli recordings, Here's a place to name your favorites. It's not just for him, but for me.
I used to count JB as one of my three favorite conductors, but that was a long time ago. I still find his Vaughan Williams and Elgar among the best and but reach for his other recordings quite infrequently.
To my ears, the most reliable JB recordings are his NY Phil ones- I've never heard one that disappointed me. The Tchaikovsky 5/Schumann 4 disc comes to mind. But mostly I haven't listend to him much in recent years. If others have some suggestions, I might reacquaint myself more.
Mozart Violin Concerto #5:

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/my-favorite-classical-recordings/
g***@gmail.com
2019-07-25 06:26:35 UTC
https://books.google.com/books?id=IWBSEY8rNmoC&pg=PA70&dq=%22Another+such+incident+involved+Sir+John+Barbirolli%27s+recording+of+Mahler%27s+Fifth+Symphony.%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimyZTVt8_jAhVKLKwKHe8iD1YQ6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=%22Another%20such%20incident%20involved%20Sir%20John%20Barbirolli's%20recording%20of%20Mahler's%20Fifth%20Symphony.%22&f=false