Recordings of live performances of note - XXIV
2019-08-20 16:38:54 UTC
I suspect the Busoni not often heard live. Played by pianist Igor Levit here :

Liszt, Franz
Prelude voor piano S.179, "Präludium nach J.S. Bachs Kantate "Weinen, klagen, sorgen, zagen""

Busoni, Ferruccio
Fantasie voor piano K.256, "Fantasia contrappuntistica"

August 13, 2019, Salzburg

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9208-recital-igor-levit

Levit makes the work more attractive for me than does Wolf Harden in his recording I have, but still a tough nut to crack.
Bozo
2019-08-20 21:16:11 UTC
Pianist Lars Vogt, whose playing I’m enjoying more recently than earlier in his career, at 2019 Edinburgh Festival, exceptional playing throughout, the Janacek , Beethoven played attaca:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007r2c

Brahms: Op.117 complete,Op.119 complete, Book 1 Paganini Variations
Pause
Janacek : Piano Sonata “1905”
Beethoven: “ Appassionata” Sonata

Encores: Brahms , Op.118, # 2 , and a Prelude and Fugue by Friedrich Gulda.

Great Brahms playing, a few smudges in the Paganini reminding how difficult that work is.Fine emotive playing also in the Janacek, distinctive Beethoven,although the attaca added nothing for me, would have preferred a traditional break.
Bozo
2019-08-22 13:22:17 UTC
Wonderful playing. Have heard Chamayou play “Miroirs” several times, one of this best here. The sonatas are gems, the Britten not heard often (? ) I wonder:

Ravel - Pavane pour une infante défunte - Miroirs
Debussy - Sonate pour violoncelle en ré mineur, L. 135.
Britten - Sonate pour violoncelle en do majeur, op. 65.
Mendelssohn - Song Without Words en ré majeur, op. 109 (encore)

Avec Sol Gabetta, violoncelle et Bertrand Chamayou, piano

Enregistré le 29 juin 2019 à Olsberg

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_les-grands-festivals-de-l-ete?id=2533256
Bozo
2019-08-22 20:43:58 UTC
A chance to hear the now 20-year old cellist who played at Prince Harry’s wedding, and wonder why the Weinberg London premiere not until 2019 ( the Interval discussion suggests he needed an advocate ).

From the BBC program notes for Proms 46, August 22,2019 :

“ Live at BBC Proms : CBSO and Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla perform music by Weinberg, Howell and Knussen, and are joined by cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason in Elgar's cello concerto. Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London

Dorothy Howell: Lamia (Henry Wood Novelties: world premiere, 1919)
Elgar: Cello Concerto in E minor

Interval: An exploration of the life and work of Mieczysław Weinberg with musicologists Erik Levi and Daniel Elphick

Knussen: The Way to Castle Yonder
Weinberg: Symphony No. 3 (1949-50) (London premiere)

The CBSO and Music Director Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla celebrate the centenary of Mieczysław Weinberg the man Shostakovich hailed as ‘one of the most outstanding composers’ of his day – with a rare performance of his Symphony No. 3, a work that combines folk melodies and dances with confessional urgency. That intensity is shared by Elgar’s passionate Cello Concerto, performed here by 2016 BBC Young Musician winner Sheku Kanneh-Mason. The concert opens with Dorothy Howell’s radiant tone-poem Lamia (first performed, like Elgar’s concerto, 100 years ago) and also includes The Way to Castle Yonder, a suite from the much-missed Oliver Knussen’s opera Higglety Pigglety Pop! “

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007rkh

Kanneh-Mason played an encore, one of the 24 Preludes for Solo Cello by Weinberg ( whose own Cello Concerto is great). Weinberg wrote them in 1969 for Rostropovich, who apparently never played them publically, perhaps cutting ties when he defected.

Fww, duPre was 20 when she recorded the Elgar in 1965 with Barbirolli/LSO.
Bozo
2019-08-23 20:40:49 UTC
Evgeny Kissin's Beethoven recital at 2019 Verbier.

“ Pathetique “ , “Eroica” Variations, “Tempest “ , “Waldstein”.

Encores: Op.33 Bagatelles, # 5, # 1.

July 24,2019.

Free tv. I'm just listening just now.

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/evgeny-kissin-plays-beethoven-sonates/#
Bozo
2019-08-23 21:02:02 UTC
Evgeny Kissin's Beethoven recital at 2019 Verbier.
" Tempest " is shown in the progress bar, but skipped for me.Cant complain, the ticket price is reasonable.
Bozo
2019-08-24 01:48:52 UTC
Been too many years since I listened to the Beethoven and Brahms. The Prokofieff was extraordinary even with Argerich / Dutoit DGG recording in mind , so much so I had to go on to the very fine reading of the Brahms :
Beethoven , Leonore Overture No. 3, op. 72b
Sergey Prokofiev , Piano Concerto No. 3 in C, op. 26
Encores:
Rachmaninov , Etude-Tableau in E flat minor, op. 39/5 ( bit more left hand in climax, please, but inspired )
Chopin , Prelude No. 25 in C sharp minor, op. 45 (whether or not Chopin, sensitive playing )
Interval
Johannes Brahms , Symphony No. 2 in D, op. 73

RTV Slovenia Symphony Orchestra, Gledre Slekyte (conductor), Aleksander Gadzijev( piano ) in Ljubljana,date ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0007rkp
Bozo
2019-08-25 12:56:25 UTC
Hans Kox’s 9-minute Piano Quintet No.2, which I decided to hear as intrigued by the length, but actually enjoyed ( perhaps as a result ) , played by a group August 16,2019 at Aula Minor Rolduc :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9215-de-jonge-beethoven-en-de-jeugd-heeft-de-toekomst

More on the composer :

http://donemus.nl/hans-kox/
Bozo
2019-08-25 13:35:37 UTC
Pianist Wei Luo’s debut album available for free listening at WQXR, she one of WQXR’s “19 for 19” artists to watch , a pianist not previously known to me. Due to time constraints this am, I heard only the 2 Shostakovich Preludes, the slow movs. of the Haydn and Prokofieff, and second Schedrin.Will go back when have more time.Worth hearing , IMHO.

https://www.wqxr.org/story/listen-pianist-wei-luo-debut-album/

Ravel, “La Valse”
Shostakovich , P&F Nos.5,24,Op.87
Haydn, # 52
Prokofieff ,# 7
Schedrin,Two Polyphonic Pieces
g***@gmail.com
https://www.wfmt.com/2019/09/01/concertos-by-moise-weinberg/
Bozo
2019-08-28 14:00:51 UTC
Isabelle Faust,Alexander Melnikov play all Brahms Violin Sonatas,and Schumann’s (?) Sonata F-A-E recently in Switzerland I believe :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert-de-l-apres-midi?id=2534767

Some years ago Simon Roberts here was enthusiastic about their recording of Beethoven sonatas.
Bozo
2019-08-28 20:37:37 UTC
BBC Proms 52 : The Britten Sinfonia with Marc-André Hamelin and Ryan Wigglesworth, playing Mozart, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky.

Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London,August 28,2019

Mozart: Concerto in E flat major for two pianos
Tchaikovsky: Suite No. 4, 'Mozartiana'
Henry Wood Novelties: UK premiere, 1897

Interval: Musicologist Jonathan Cross introduces Stravinsky’s Divertimento: The Fairy’s Kiss.

Ryan Wigglesworth: Piano Concerto
BBC co-commission with Melbourne Symphony Orchestra: World premiere

Stravinsky: Divertimento 'The Fairy's Kiss'

Marc-André Hamelin, piano
Britten Sinfonia
Ryan Wigglesworth, piano ( in the Mozart ) and conductor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007y85

The Wiggelsworth interesting as , to my ear, a chamber-like quality most of the time, rather than full-throated orchestral forces. I suspect quite a difficult work for both the occasional orchestra soloists, pianist, and ensemble coordination , but for me more perspiration involved than inspiration, a one-hear. The Mozart suggested again there may actually be a God, until one then reads the latest news from Washington,DC, London,Brasilia.
Bozo
2019-08-29 15:31:31 UTC
FYI,FWW:

On Saturday, 31 August, 11am Central European Time, CET, ( 4 am US CDT ), MEDICI TV will be broadcasting the video stream live of Haitink's penultimate concert:

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/bernard-haitink-conducts-bruckner/

Emanuel Ax | Pianist

Wiener Philharmoniker
Bernard Haitink | Conductor

Ludwig van Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58
Anton Bruckner, Symphony No. 7 in E Major, WAB 107

Venue: Grosses Festspielhaus (Salzburg, Austria)

One can hope it will be free VOD for awhile after the live broadcast.Site currently gives no indication one way or other.
Bozo
2019-08-30 17:35:00 UTC
“Stephanie Blythe stars as Blythely Oratonio in DITO & AENEAS, an opera-drag-cabaret event which took over the TLA in Philadelphia on Friday, February 24, 2016. Blythely sings a pop-opera mash-up of "M'appari" from Flotow's "Martha" to his new love, Martha Graham Cracker. “

This year :

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/30/arts/music/resonant-bodies-festival.html
Bozo
2019-08-31 17:18:38 UTC
On Saturday, 31 August, 11am Central European Time, CET, ( 4 am US CDT ), MEDICI TV will be >broadcasting the video stream live
As hoped, free VOD now : https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/bernard-haitink-conducts-bruckner/

Multi-hued,subtly shaded , transcendent Beethoven PC # 4 , even thru Internet sound,the way I like this concerto presented, my fav of the composer’s five PC’s. Emanuel Ax just great.

Interesting encore : Chopin’s 3rd Waltz .

Does the VPO governing group choose guest artists , as well as conductors ?

Treat to hear VPO play the Bruckner symphony I do listen to, # 7, especially on such an occasion. Haitnik blows a kiss to the woodwinds, brass at the end of second mov. As I recall, Kurt Masur chose this Bruckner symphony for his NYPO debut as Music Director ca. 1992 (?).

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/classical-music-news/bernard-haitink-honoured-by-the-vpo-has-announced-his-retirement

Haitnik 100 times with VPO ; wonder what was discussed at rehearsal about the works ? Appears VPO now includes at least 5 women.
Bozo
2019-09-01 14:12:21 UTC
Then 6-year old Elisey Mysin in 2017 :

1. V. Rebikov op. 9 No. 17 Dervish
2. O. Nesipkhanov Waltz
3. P.I. Tchaikovsky Children's Album: Morning Reflection, Polka
4. S. Prokofiev Children's music, Op. 65 “Fairy Tale”
5. E. Grieg op. 3 Poetic picture No. 6

(2018,Rachmaninov “ Polka” with Matsuev, Putin in audience)

(2019 , Chopin Mazurka Op.7,#1 )

(2019,a mov.from Mozart PC # 3 ? )

Hopefully he'll have a "childhood", if there is such a thing in the digital / social media age.
Bozo
2019-09-04 00:53:40 UTC
Treat to hear VPO play the Bruckner symphony I do listen to, # 7, especially on such an occasion. Haitnik
If you prefer the same program a few days later at Proms : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00083nh
Alan Dawes
2019-09-04 09:26:14 UTC
On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 12:18:40 PM UTC-5, Bozo wrote: Treat to
hear VPO play the Bruckner symphony I do listen to, # 7, especially
on such an occasion. Haitnik
If you prefer the same program a few days later at Proms : https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00083nh
I heard the live broadcast last night - it took me back 53 years to being
a teenager standing at the Proms on 22nd Aug 1966 when Haitink first
performed it at the proms with the BBC symphony orchestra.

Sadly it looks like the BBC were not allowed to video it, I assume because
there will be a commercial video release of his last ever peformance of
the same programme in Lucerne later this month.

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Bozo
2019-09-04 14:07:12 UTC
Post by Alan Dawes
Sadly it looks like the BBC were not allowed to video it, I assume because
there will be a commercial video release of his last ever peformance of
the same programme in Lucerne later this month.
There is video of the Salzburg performance of this same program last week :

Free VOD now for about 60 days : https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/bernard-haitink-conducts-bruckner/
Bozo
2019-09-04 16:29:37 UTC
Lukas Geniusas plays 12 of Leonid Desyatnikov’s ( 1955 - ) 24 Preludes for Piano,”Songs of Bukovina”,described by one critic as “ minimalism with a heart “ , interesting but probably a one hear for me :

I follow Geniusas ( winner 2010 Bachauer Competition, 2nd 2010 Chopin Competition, 2nd with Li 2015 Tchaikovsky Competition) , and the composer was new to me, thus my hearing.
Bozo
2019-09-05 14:06:54 UTC
2015 Chopin Competition winner Cho plays the Prokofieff PC # 2 at Proms:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000841w

I liked his Prokofieff better than most of his Chopin I heard in 2015. A more majestic, melancholy approach to the first mov. cadenza ( perhaps not completely technically pristine ? ), lighter touch in the third mov.,but probably not to all tastes in this work. Encore was slow mov. of Mozart's K.332 Piano Sonata.

Kavakos played this Tarrega/Ricci encore (my first hearing) after the Korngold VC at Proms ( the VPO apparently think highly of Kavakos ), here a much younger Kavakos playing it :

Bozo
2019-09-06 20:04:14 UTC
Sergei Babayan, Verbier Festival Orchestra,Gabor Takacs-Nagy play Mozart’s PC # 9, K.271, “Jeunehomme” , at 2019 Verbier Festival ; extraordinary:

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/gabor-takacs-nagy-conducts-brahms-symphony-no-2-in-d-major/

Free VOD.
Bozo
2019-09-07 12:36:51 UTC
For fans of the wonderful, but not often heard (?) Chausson Concert for Violin,Piano and String Quartet,Op.21,Renaud Capucon,Nicolas Angelich, and Hermes Quartet live recently:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000841h

My cd I can recommend: https://tinyurl.com/y647jdz2
m***@gmail.com
2019-09-08 03:23:08 UTC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000841h
My cd I can recommend: https://tinyurl.com/y647jdz2
We did the Chausson this summer at our Valley of the Moon Music Festival here in Sonoma. Rachel Barton Pine was the violin. A fantastic piece of music and the performance was great.

I noticed also that the New Century Chamber Orchestra in San Francisco will be doing it this fall with Daniel Hardin.

I have the same CD you do. Wonderful!

Martin
Bozo
2019-09-08 14:48:30 UTC
Wow, the Chausson in Summer with a Sonoma wine at hand , ideal !
m***@gmail.com
2019-09-09 01:44:52 UTC
We did the Chausson this summer at our Valley of the Moon Music Festival here in Sonoma. Rachel Barton >Pine was the violin. A fantastic piece of music and the performance was great.
Wow, the Chausson in Summer with a Sonoma wine at hand , ideal !
It was kind of special. Our festival players perform on original instruments and it does wonders for balances between piano and strings. Our string players use gut and our pianist played a marvelous Chickering grand from around 1905.

Another wonder this summer was the first piano trio by Cesar Franck. I think if you go to the Valley of the Moon Music Festival page on Youtube, you can hear both pieces, or at least excerpts.

Martin
Bozo
2019-09-10 13:31:04 UTC
Enjoy Joseph Jongen's solo piano works, but had not heard any of his larger scale works. His Symphonie Concertante, Op.81, for Organ and Orchestra a beauty, symphonic tone poem. I did a back to back hearing , here Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra in Leipzig under Louis Langree,Michael Schoenheit,organist, Sept.9,2019 :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9242-jongens-symfonie-concertante
Bozo
2019-09-12 12:06:23 UTC
Renaud Capucon,violin,Edgar Moreau ,cello,Nicholas Angelich,piano live. Free VOD.

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/renaud-capucon-edgar-moreau-and-nicholas-angelich-play-mendelssohn-and-brahms/

Sept.10,2019, Tsinandali Festival

Mendelssohn Trio No.1, Op.49

Brahms, Trio No.1, Op.8

Heard only the Brahms. I follow all these artists, especially cellist Moreau.

And Brahms : Op.1 1st Piano Sonata, Op.2 2nd Piano Sonata, Op. 4 Scherzo for piano ,Op.5 3rd Piano Sonata,this Op.8, Op.9 Schumann Variations,Op.10 4 Ballades, Op.15 1st Piano Concerto, whew !
Bozo
2019-09-12 14:30:11 UTC
An interesting program,several new to me, really liked the Poulenc.

Concert du 6/10/2018 en différé du Kings Place à Londres avec Stephen Kovacevich et Margaret Fingerhut, pianos

Robert Schumann / Claude Debussy : Six Studies for Pedal Piano, op. 56
Arnold Bax : The Poisoned Fountain - Hardanger (Homage to Grieg), pour 2 pianos
Francis Poulenc : Élégie en accords alternés, pour 2 pianos - Capriccio (d'après Le bal masqué) - L'embarquement pour Cythère, for two pianos
Igor Stravinsky : Concerto pour 2 Pianos
Claude Debussy : En blanc et noir - Danse sacrée et Danse profane, L. 103
Serge Rachmaninov : Rhapsodie russe en mi mineur, pour 2 pianos (1891)

Stephen Kovacevich, piano (Wk. 8) - Margaret Fingerhut, piano (Wks 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6)

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert-du-soir?id=2540842
Bozo
2019-09-14 16:14:06 UTC
Viktor Tretyakov ( Tchaikovsky Comp. winner 1966 ) plays the wonderful Prokofieff VC # 1 ( one of my fav VC’s ) with Gergiev live in Rotterdam in 1996 :

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/457-gergiev-festival-1996-rotterdams-philharmonisch-orkest-o-l-v-valery-gergiev

Cellist Edgar Moreau and pianist David Kadouch play Frank,Poulenc,Strohl live , the programme from their 2018 Erato cd :

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_concert-de-l-apres-midi?id=2541658

Pianist-conductor Lahav Shani plays Stravinsky’s Concerto for Piano and Wind Instruments with Gergiev live in Rotterdam Sept.12,2019, my first hearing of the pianist and work (great work ):

https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9245-gergiev-festival-de-kleuren-van-parijs
Bozo
2019-09-17 19:00:49 UTC
Piotr Anderszewski plays Beethoven’s Op.110 at 2019 Schwetzingen Festival,starting at about 24:00 in to this BBCR3 broadcast. Very interesting and excellent throughout I thought.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008hvn
number_six
2019-09-19 01:42:53 UTC
snip <
https://www.nporadio4.nl/concerten/9245-gergiev-festival-de-kleuren-van-parijs
Thanks for posting! For those who preferred "no applause" with their live recordings, be warned, the Stravinsky is *very* well received by the audience, and rightly so. But it is part of the dokumente, and they did allow that little envelope before showing their appreciation. Look at the timing on that Bolero, but of course some of it was applause. This was a great show.