Bashkirov's Schumann Fantasie & Bunte Blätter on EMI (1962)
2019-08-05 03:00:41 UTC
Schumann: Fantasie in C major, Op.17
Schumann: Bunte Blätter, Op.99 (extraits)

Dmitri Bashkirov (pf)

EMI Pathé Marconi CDM 7 63571 2 ℗ 1963 © 1990. CD.
Enregistré / recorded : Paris, salle Wagram, 29.X.1962.
Directeur artistique / producer : Eric Macleod.
Ingénieur du son / balance engineer : Paul Vavasseur.
En couveture / cover : photo Odette Weill.
Maquette / design concept : Josée Malamoud.
Booklet note : Alain Lombech.
STEREO/DIGITALLY REMASTERED ℗ 1963 EMI Pathé Marconi S.A.
Reports et mixages numériques ℗ 1990 EMI Pathé Marconi S.A.
Made in Germany.
DURÉE TOTALE/TOTAL TIME : 45’35.

COMMENT: One of, if not _thee_, all-time most-desired used CDs on my list finally has come home. I did have to resort to eBay to find it, however, breaking with my usual tradition of seeking everything used in the stores. It just has never come along, in almost 15 years of trolling the bins, searching, searching. It is every bit as good as I expected. The Bunte Blätter extracts may be even superior to the Fantasie, Bashkirov's nuanced playing making for some truly spine-tingling moments. The Scherzo, for instance, is limpid yet spry, and wholly of a part. Based on this disc along, I have to consider Bashkirov one of the best Schumann interpreters for solo keyboard on records. Does anyone else have this wonderful, and rare, CD from French EMI?
Randy Lane
2019-08-05 04:16:58 UTC
Also part of this set:

https://www.amazon.fr/Schumann-Oeuvres-pour-piano-Coffret/dp/B000V1Z0GM
Oscar
2019-08-05 05:17:56 UTC
Thanks, Randy. I don't think I've seen this one, either, because I would have bought it straight away.
Mandryka
2019-08-05 06:02:14 UTC
I have a transfer of the LP and I’ve never played it, until I saw your post. It is outstanding! Thank you for mentioning it.
Steve Emerson
2019-08-20 21:46:02 UTC
Post by Mandryka
I have a transfer of the LP and I’ve never played it, until I saw your post. It is outstanding! Thank you for mentioning it.
Bashkirov has (had) a tiny repertoire. There are at least two recordings of the Op 17 -- the one Oscar mentions, and a Melodiya recording. My transfer of the latter LP has been uploaded at Symphonyshare, alongside an upload of the CD Oscar writes about here. Ray E. and I compared the two recordings back then -- 2017. The Melodiya seemed more spontaneous and/or "poetic" to us both; the EMI formidable and daunting. Both sets of Op 99 excerpts are terrific. Melodiya finally got around to issuing some of their Bashkirov on CD a couple of years ago, but I don't think the Schumann was included.

SE.
dk
2019-08-31 09:21:35 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Mandryka
I have a transfer of the LP and I’ve never
played it, until I saw your post. It is
outstanding! Thank you for mentioning it.
Bashkirov has (had) a tiny repertoire.
?!?

Bashkirov has a huge repertoire! One
should not assume published recordings
represent his complete repertoire.
Not even close.

2019-08-05 13:20:59 UTC
Actually, op. 17 in this set is by Beroff.
Oscar
2019-08-05 14:03:40 UTC
Good eyes, Frank.
MCGM
2019-08-31 11:00:04 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
https://www.amazon.fr/Schumann-Oeuvres-pour-piano-Coffret/dp/B000V1Z0GM
Alas, only »Bunte Blätter« …

MM

Frank Berger
2019-08-05 04:17:55 UTC
Post by Oscar
[...]
I know the feeling of making a score like this. Now I have to look for
a copy. Why did they put a picture of Vladimir Lenin on the cover?
Oscar
2019-08-05 05:15:52 UTC
LOL good one. You won't regret it.
number_six
2019-08-06 03:33:40 UTC
Post by Oscar
[...]
But when Oscar found it, he did not have to ask "What is to be done?"

He knew what to do -- BUY.

Oscar, congratulations on your find!
Oscar
2019-08-06 03:51:29 UTC
Thank you. Although I must admit, having set an eBay fly-trap in the form of saved search, it's not the same as 99-point-5 percent of my other finds, trawling the dusty bins (and all the more fun for it). So, a bit of 21st C. cheating, yes, but a find's a find, and I'm really enjoying it. Five spins so far.
Frank Berger
2019-08-06 14:48:06 UTC
Post by Oscar
Post by number_six
Oscar, congratulations on your find!
Thank you. Although I must admit, having set an eBay fly-trap in the form of saved search, it's not the same as 99-point-5 percent of my other finds, trawling the dusty bins (and all the more fun for it). So, a bit of 21st C. cheating, yes, but a find's a find, and I'm really enjoying it. Five spins so far.
I miss the days of "trawling the dusty bins." When you could visit 3
or 4 used cd stores in an afternoon. Even in Dallas. Recyled Books,
Records and CDs in Denton was (still is?) awesome. The nearby presebce
of the University of North Texas Music School assured a brisk business.
Despite my slight scoliosis that made my neck hurt from looking down
after just a few minutes. As my collection grew to ridiculous size the
odds of finding anything I wanted (needed?) shrunk. So did the number
of stores. In Baltimore now; I'm not aware of a single place. I
recently realized you could buy used cd's through discogs, adding to
Amazon, Ebay, Berkshire. I've been collecting the 77 volume Anthology
of Russian Symphony Music, conducted by Svetlanov. The original not the
re-release with generic covers. Not sure why. Because it's there. Some
of the 77 announced volumes were never released. Of those that were,
I'm missing only 2 or 3. Happy hunting,
Ricardo Jimenez

l***@gmail.com
2019-08-10 19:29:05 UTC
Post by Oscar
[...]
Hi,

It costs 60 Euros and 280 Euros from 2 sources on French Amazon. I will pass at those prices.

Mort Linder