Ysaye solo violin sonatas - new cd
2015-11-22 19:26:35 UTC
Wow, all 6 solo sonatas, free listening to the complete Linn Records cd :

http://www.radio4.nl/plaatpaal/477/cd-van-de-week-frederieke-saeijs-ysaye-6-vioolsonates

Violinist Saeijs not known to me ( but then she's never heard of me,either ) .From Wiki :

" Dutch violinist Frederieke Saeijs (born in The Hague, Netherlands, on 25 January 1979) is the winner of the First Grand Prize as well as four special Prizes of the 2005 International Violin Competition Marguerite Long-Jacques Thibaud in Paris, France...
Frederieke Saeijs is playing on a Pietro Guarneri violin (Venice, 1725), Ex-Reine Elisabeth, kindly lent to her by the Dutch National Music Instrument Foundation.
Since 2009 Ms Saeijs is a violin professor at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague, The Netherlands. She is also a violin professor at the Alfonso X el Sabio University [1] in Madrid, Spain.In December 2009 record label Naxos released a cd with sonatas for violin and piano by Ravel, Respighi and Granados, performed by Saeijs and pianist Maurice Laments van Bueren."

Best I think to listen to only one or two at a time. I suggest starting with # 2.
Bozo
2015-11-22 20:12:59 UTC
Best I think to listen to only one or two at a time. I suggest starting with # 2.
Or with perhaps , for me, the highlight of the set, # 5.
Oscar
2015-11-22 20:40:45 UTC
Thx for this. I still have to buy and listen to Ibragamova on Hyperion first. Listening to Barati's 2013 CD on Brilliant of late. Very good.
AB
2015-11-22 22:14:53 UTC
[...]
the "Ballade" is the most famous of all the sonatas. Her playing is a bit too fussy for my taste. Oscar Shumsky makes a better impression, at least for me.

AB
Bozo
2015-11-22 22:48:09 UTC
# 3 "Ballade " may be more famous because just one mov. and shorter , also good for an encore ? For me, # 2 and # 5 are the gems , especially the first movs.of each.
Bozo
2015-11-23 12:19:04 UTC
For me, # 2 and # 5 are the gems , especially the first movs.of each.
Gideon Kremer plays first mov. of # 5 :

Bozo
2015-11-23 12:21:59 UTC
For me, # 2 and # 5 are the gems , especially the first movs.of each.
Kavakos plays first mov. of # 2 :

George M
2015-11-23 13:51:52 UTC
For me, # 2 and # 5 are the gems , especially the first movs.of each.
Kavakos plays first mov. of # 2 : http://youtu.be/AMFUp079L2c
I've been listening to Tedi Papavrami cd from ZigZag (ASIN: B00IX5P5S6), any comments how he compares to others ?

Ballade from youtube

George M.