CHOICE...
Add Reply
MELMOTH
2021-03-29 11:02:55 UTC
Ave, dear friends of rmcr...
Cornelian choice:
- the piano sonatas of LdV pat Pollini...

https://www.amazon.fr/Beethoven-Complete-Sonatas-Ludwig-van/dp/B00NOB05ZW/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=beethoven+pollini&qid=1617015659&sr=8-2

- the string quartets of LdV by the Guarneri...

https://www.amazon.fr/Guarneri-Quartet-Plays-Beethoven/dp/B07VP78NPT/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=beethoven+guarneri&qid=1617015702&sr=8-1

I don't have any of these integrals...And I hesitate...
And you ?...What would you choose ?...

I have never been a Pollini fan... Is "his" Beethoven worth it ?...
Alan Cooper
2021-03-29 18:57:21 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, dear friends of rmcr...
- the piano sonatas of LdV pat Pollini...
https://www.amazon.fr/Beethoven-Complete-Sonatas-Ludwig-van/dp/B00NOB05ZW/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=beethoven+pollini&qid=1617015659&sr=8-2
- the string quartets of LdV by the Guarneri...
https://www.amazon.fr/Guarneri-Quartet-Plays-Beethoven/dp/B07VP78NPT/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=beethoven+guarneri&qid=1617015702&sr=8-1
I don't have any of these integrals...And I hesitate...
And you ?...What would you choose ?...
I have never been a Pollini fan... Is "his" Beethoven worth it ?...
I've known and enjoyed the Guarneri/RCA set since its first appearance on LP. Do I feel old? (Yes.) It retains considerable value, even more so at this rock-bottom price. To me, the Middle Quartets hold up best. Two things that I noted on the amazon.fr page to which you linked: (1) My first encounter with the German word "Schnarchnasenintention" in the first review. (Learn something new every day!); and (2) the same page has a listing for the similarly inexpensive Tokyo/RCA set, which imo is even more recommendable than Guarneri. Of course you may have that one already.

Concerning the Piano Sonatas, I love Henk's qualification that you have to have Pollini et al. "even if you don't like them." Made me laugh out loud, especially since I like only half the sets he names. Also, it reminded me that in my youth I thought I "had to have" recordings of music I disliked, like Bruckner symphonies, because they were so highly recommended. No longer--not for many decades. Back to the sonatas, a set that I consider must-have (because I *like* it) is Claude Frank's, which is not mentioned frequently enough here. I can do without Pollini, although my wife and I enjoyed a stunning "Hammerklavier" of his in concert.

AC
MELMOTH
I ordered Sony set of Tokyo...
Bob Harper
2021-03-29 22:29:37 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, dear friends of rmcr...
- the piano sonatas of LdV pat Pollini...
https://www.amazon.fr/Beethoven-Complete-Sonatas-Ludwig-van/dp/B00NOB05ZW/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=beethoven+pollini&qid=1617015659&sr=8-2
- the string quartets of LdV by the Guarneri...
https://www.amazon.fr/Guarneri-Quartet-Plays-Beethoven/dp/B07VP78NPT/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=beethoven+guarneri&qid=1617015702&sr=8-1
I don't have any of these integrals...And I hesitate...
And you ?...What would you choose ?...
I have never been a Pollini fan... Is "his" Beethoven worth it ?...
I would certainly recommend the Guarneri set of the quartets. 'Central'
performances, well recorded. Good value.

2021-03-29 23:02:03 UTC
Ave, dear friends of rmcr...
Post by MELMOTH
I have never been a Pollini fan... Is "his" Beethoven worth it ?...
Good.
Just to clarify: good you are not a Pawllini fan!

His Beethoven is "intellectual". You know what
that means! ;-)

IMHO HJ Lim's traversal of the sonatas is the
only one worth having at this time. It is similar
in approach to Schnabel and Gulda, however
much better executed and recorded.

The entire set is on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kbOMB69vdwZCXpi25aaDyVdsaCrER9uY0
and one can hear it before committing one's Euros.

2021-03-29 23:05:03 UTC
Ave, dear friends of rmcr...
Post by MELMOTH
I have never been a Pollini fan... Is "his" Beethoven worth it ?...
Good.
Just to clarify: good you are not a Pawllini fan!
His Beethoven is "intellectual". You know what
that means! ;-)
IMHO HJ Lim's traversal of the sonatas is the
only one worth having at this time. It is similar
in approach to Schnabel and Gulda, however
much better executed and recorded.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kbOMB69vdwZCXpi25aaDyVdsaCrER9uY0
and one can hear it before committing one's Euros.
... or one's ears.

I don't doubt you know how to download from YT,
right?

dk
MELMOTH
2021-03-29 23:54:51 UTC
I don't doubt you know how to download from YT,
YouTube ?...What is it ?...
dk
2021-03-29 23:59:16 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
I don't doubt you know how to download from YT,
YouTube ?...What is it ?...
Certainly not the tubes in your valve amplifiers! ;-)

2021-03-30 00:59:01 UTC
Ave, dear friends of rmcr...
Post by MELMOTH
I have never been a Pollini fan... Is "his" Beethoven worth it ?...
Good.
Just to clarify: good you are not a Pawllini fan!
His Beethoven is "intellectual". You know what
that means! ;-)
IMHO HJ Lim's traversal of the sonatas is the
only one worth having at this time. It is similar
in approach to Schnabel and Gulda, however
much better executed and recorded.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kbOMB69vdwZCXpi25aaDyVdsaCrER9uY0
and one can hear it before committing one's Euros.
dk
Dan, I doubt if you've ever had a 'H' opinion :).

Bob Harper
MELMOTH
2021-03-30 11:22:18 UTC
IMHO HJ Lim's traversal of the sonatas is the
only one worth having at this time. It is similar
in approach to Schnabel and Gulda, however
much better executed and recorded.
I listened to some sonatas of your favorite hille...Bof...
My podium (in the disorder) :
*Gulda*...*Del Puyo*...*Ciccolini*...
And of course
*Gilels.*..*Richter*...*Serkin*...*Gindberg*...*Ciani*...*Brendel*...And
your favorite pianist *Arrau*....
MELMOTH
2021-03-30 11:25:35 UTC
IMHO HJ Lim's traversal of the sonatas is the
only one worth having at this time. It is similar
in approach to Schnabel and Gulda, however
much better executed and recorded.
I listened to some sonatas of your favorite hille...Bof...
My podium (in the disorder) :
*Gulda*...*Del Puyo*...*Ciccolini*...
And of course
*Gilels*..*Richter*...*Serkin*...*Grindberg*...*Ciani*...*Brendel*...And
your favorite pianist *Arrau*....
dk
2021-03-30 20:30:27 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
IMHO HJ Lim's traversal of the sonatas is the
only one worth having at this time. It is similar
in approach to Schnabel and Gulda, however
much better executed and recorded.
I listened to some sonatas of your favorite hille...Bof...
*Gulda*...*Del Puyo*...*Ciccolini*...
And of course
*Gilels*..*Richter*...*Serkin*...*Grindberg*...*Ciani*...*Brendel*...And
your favorite pianist *Arrau*....
Still living in a cave!

dk

MELMOTH
2021-03-30 12:07:24 UTC
IMHO HJ Lim's traversal of the sonatas is the
only one worth having at this time. It is similar
in approach to Schnabel and Gulda, however
much better executed and recorded.
I listened to some sonatas of your favorite young lady...Bof...
My podium (out of order) :
*Gulda*...*Del Puyo*...*Ciccolini*...
And of course
*Gilels*..*Richter*...*Serkin*...*Grindberg*...*Ciani*...*Brendel*...*Kempf*...*Nat*...*Gieseking*...*Solomon*
(maybe the best of all)...And your favorite pianist *Arrau*....