Cleveland Orchestra to record for -- some label?
Matthew B. Tepper
2007-01-30 05:36:25 UTC
Yep, they're making recordings again, beginning with that Beethoven 9th as
Todd Schurk had earlier reported. But ... to be released by which label?
THEY DON'T KNOW YET. Maybe DGG, maybe EMI, who knows? At this stage they
are only "negotiating." No actual deal yet; there's still time for some MBA
to soil his diapers and throw a tantrum. (If you didn't already know of my
opinions of these business types, you can figure it out now.)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/239wyy

So -- I'll believe it when I see it.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
j***@aol.com
2007-01-30 06:04:29 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Yep, they're making recordings again, beginning with that Beethoven 9th as
Todd Schurk had earlier reported. But ... to be released by which label?
THEY DON'T KNOW YET. Maybe DGG, maybe EMI, who knows? At this stage they
are only "negotiating." No actual deal yet; there's still time for some MBA
to soil his diapers and throw a tantrum. (If you didn't already know of my
opinions of these business types, you can figure it out now.)
http://preview.tinyurl.com/239wyy
So -- I'll believe it when I see it.
This is a golden opportunity for us to band together and make our own
label and negotiate the rights to all those forthcoming Cleveland
recordings.

What shall we call it...Flaming River Recordings? :-)

--Jeff
Todd Schurk
2007-01-30 06:48:49 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Yep, they're making recordings again, beginning with that Beethoven 9th as
Todd Schurk had earlier reported. But ... to be released by which label?
THEY DON'T KNOW YET. Maybe DGG, maybe EMI, who knows? At this stage they
are only "negotiating." No actual deal yet; there's still time for some MBA
to soil his diapers and throw a tantrum. (If you didn't already know of my
opinions of these business types, you can figure it out now.)
http://preview.tinyurl.com/239wyy
So -- I'll believe it when I see it.
My personal home page --http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/index.html
My main music page ---http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/berlioz.html
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
I'm with you Matthew-not holding my breath...but my fingers are
crossed! Todd
Michael Schaffer
2007-01-30 11:01:26 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Yep, they're making recordings again, beginning with that Beethoven 9th as
Todd Schurk had earlier reported. But ... to be released by which label?
THEY DON'T KNOW YET. Maybe DGG, maybe EMI, who knows? At this stage they
are only "negotiating." No actual deal yet; there's still time for some MBA
to soil his diapers and throw a tantrum.
Or for you to purchase the rights to all their recordings, start your
own label, show them all how it's done and finally, finally, shut the
fuck up about how everybody in the record business don't know what
they are doing (except for you, and except that you aren't in that
business).

So what's the name of the label going to be? "Duck Records"? Or "Duck
and Cover"?
sechumlib
2007-01-30 14:02:55 UTC
Post by Michael Schaffer
Or for you to purchase the rights to all their recordings, start your
own label, show them all how it's done and finally, finally, shut the
fuck up about how everybody in the record business don't know what they
are doing (except for you, and except that you aren't in that business).
Are you one of these shitheads who thinks no one has a right to
complain about the way something is done, by an alleged expert, unless
he/she can do better? If so, you & others like you drive me nuts.

There is no requirement that one BE an expert in order to be entitled
to complain when the alleged experts do things wrong.
Richard Schultz
2007-01-30 14:56:37 UTC
In article <45bf500f$0$24469$***@roadrunner.com>, sechumlib <***@liberal.net> wrote:

: There is no requirement that one BE an expert in order to be entitled
: to complain when the alleged experts do things wrong.

Perhaps it's worthwhile at this juncture to keep in mind Harry Truman's
definition of an "expert" as "someone who is afraid to learn something
new, because then he wouldn't be an 'expert' any more."

-----
Richard Schultz ***@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"You go on playing Bach your way, and I'll go on playing him *his* way."
-- Wanda Landowska
Don Rice
2007-01-31 05:01:55 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
: There is no requirement that one BE an expert in order to be entitled
: to complain when the alleged experts do things wrong.
Perhaps it's worthwhile at this juncture to keep in mind Harry Truman's
definition of an "expert" as "someone who is afraid to learn something
new, because then he wouldn't be an 'expert' any more."
-----
-----
"You go on playing Bach your way, and I'll go on playing him *his* way."
-- Wanda Landowska
My definition is that an expert is characterized by always being
certain, but frequently being wrong.
Don
Edward A. Cowan
2007-01-30 15:09:05 UTC
Post by sechumlib
Post by sechumlib
There is no requirement that one BE an expert in order to be entitled
to complain when the alleged experts do things wrong. <<

I think it was Ernest Newman who once asked: "If I say an egg is bad,
am I expected to lay a better one?" --E.A.C.
Post by sechumlib
Post by sechumlib
Or for you to purchase the rights to all their recordings, start your
own label, show them all how it's done and finally, finally, shut the
fuck up about how everybody in the record business don't know what they
are doing (except for you, and except that you aren't in that business).Are you one of these shitheads who thinks no one has a right to
Matthew B. Tepper
2007-01-30 15:33:59 UTC
Post by Edward A. Cowan
Post by sechumlib
There is no requirement that one BE an expert in order to be entitled
to complain when the alleged experts do things wrong. <<
I think it was Ernest Newman who once asked: "If I say an egg is bad,
am I expected to lay a better one?" --E.A.C.
I cluck my approval at that quotation!
C***@gmail.com

Michael Schaffer
2007-01-30 22:15:31 UTC
Post by sechumlib
Post by Michael Schaffer
Or for you to purchase the rights to all their recordings, start your
own label, show them all how it's done and finally, finally, shut the
fuck up about how everybody in the record business don't know what they
are doing (except for you, and except that you aren't in that business).
Are you one of these shitheads who thinks no one has a right to
complain about the way something is done, by an alleged expert, unless
he/she can do better? If so, you & others like you drive me nuts.
Don't worry, no, I don't think so, but if something is as constantly
recurring and obsessive a subject as the managment of record labels
for our friend Tepper, then at some point, I think, yes, he should "do
better" and "show them all".
Andrew Clarke
2007-01-30 22:56:27 UTC
Post by Michael Schaffer
Don't worry, no, I don't think so, but if something is as constantly
recurring and obsessive a subject as the managment of record labels
for our friend Tepper, then at some point, I think, yes, he should "do
better" and "show them all".
Matthew (who can't read this of course) tends to make the following
assumptions:

(a) there is a zero-sum situation in record sales. Therefore if more
people are buying Andrea Bocelli there must be fewer people buying
Placido Domingo.

(b) what he would like the majors to rerelease is what at least [x]
customers would buy if they did rerelease it (where [x] is the number
of copies required to be sold to make a profit).

(c) anybody who disagrees with him is an idiot or a criminal or both --
hence Matthew's immature and now rather boring polemics against the
majors and their management, not to mention the size of his killfile
(in which I myself am happy to reside).

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Brendan R. Wehrung
2007-01-31 04:52:32 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Yep, they're making recordings again, beginning with that Beethoven 9th as
Todd Schurk had earlier reported. But ... to be released by which label?
THEY DON'T KNOW YET. Maybe DGG, maybe EMI, who knows? At this stage they
are only "negotiating." No actual deal yet; there's still time for some MBA
to soil his diapers and throw a tantrum. (If you didn't already know of my
opinions of these business types, you can figure it out now.)
http://preview.tinyurl.com/239wyy
So -- I'll believe it when I see it.
You mean you can't smell the fine odor of a subsidy, and trying to get
whichever label to accept the cheapest deal?

Brendan
Matthew B. Tepper
2007-01-31 05:32:51 UTC
Post by Brendan R. Wehrung
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Yep, they're making recordings again, beginning with that Beethoven 9th
as Todd Schurk had earlier reported. But ... to be released by which
label? THEY DON'T KNOW YET. Maybe DGG, maybe EMI, who knows? At this
stage they are only "negotiating." No actual deal yet; there's still
time for some MBA to soil his diapers and throw a tantrum. (If you
didn't already know of my opinions of these business types, you can
figure it out now.)
http://preview.tinyurl.com/239wyy
So -- I'll believe it when I see it.
You mean you can't smell the fine odor of a subsidy, and trying to get
whichever label to accept the cheapest deal?
Even so, I have total confidence in the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons who
run the industry that they could still f**k it up.
Harrington/Coy is a gay wrestler who won't come out of the closet
Andrew Clarke
2007-02-03 06:59:07 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Even so, I have total confidence in the Mousse-haired Marketing Morons who
run the industry that they could still f**k it up.
Let cost of producing umpteenth recording of Beethoven's 9th = x
Let profits from sales of umpteenth recording of Beethoven's 9th = y

Please take into account that classical music buyers are singularly
unreceptive to marketing campaigns. They all know what they want. The
trouble is that they all want something different. And it's a small
market.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra