Ein Heldenleben/Mengelberg NYP 1928
Add Reply
Lawrence Chalmers
2020-07-28 16:59:30 UTC
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
Frank Berger
2020-07-28 20:31:41 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
I would guess Pristine, unless Kekepeo (or is that
kakapoopoo) stole it from them:

https://www.pristineclassical.com/products/pasc104
wanwan
2020-07-30 07:32:45 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
Seth Winner did a great job on the Pearl transfer. No longer in print though.

-----------
Eric
drh8h
2020-07-30 12:13:52 UTC
Post by wanwan
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
Seth Winner did a great job on the Pearl transfer. No longer in print though.
-----------
Eric
I agree Seth does sterling work, but that cd was transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn.

DH
Frank Berger
2020-07-30 15:33:50 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by wanwan
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
Seth Winner did a great job on the Pearl transfer. No longer in print though.
-----------
Eric
I agree Seth does sterling work, but that cd was transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn.
DH
Besides the Pristine transfer I mentioned already the 1928
Heldenleben was also released on Opus Kura. The only one
easily and cheaply available is the Pristine, which figure
to sound about as good as any of them. Based on reading the
little bit outside the pay wall, Hurwitz didn't care for the
sound of the Opus Kura, which seems to get mixed reviews
generally about their sound.
drh8h
2020-07-30 16:48:17 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by wanwan
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
Seth Winner did a great job on the Pearl transfer. No longer in print though.
-----------
Eric
I agree Seth does sterling work, but that cd was transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn.
DH
Besides the Pristine transfer I mentioned already the 1928
Heldenleben was also released on Opus Kura. The only one
easily and cheaply available is the Pristine, which figure
to sound about as good as any of them. Based on reading the
little bit outside the pay wall, Hurwitz didn't care for the
sound of the Opus Kura, which seems to get mixed reviews
generally about their sound.
I have the Opus Kura (somewhere). Remember it as brighter and with little or no filtering. Not bad, but maybe not for frequent listening, esp. for those allergic to surface noise. The M O-T transfer on Pearl had considerable bass presence. He has made a later transfer for the Historic Recordings website, which was the first of a projected series for them that has now been continued by Pristine. I would like to hear what Yves St. Laurent could do with it on his label.

DH
wanwan
2020-08-03 01:06:52 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by wanwan
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
Seth Winner did a great job on the Pearl transfer. No longer in print though.
-----------
Eric
I agree Seth does sterling work, but that cd was transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn.
DH
I stand corrected on that. Need to relisten to it.

--------
Eric

furrybear57
2020-08-02 19:01:41 UTC
I have the Ward Marston transfer on the 2-disc RCA release titled: Legendary Strauss Recordings. BMG catalog no. 09026-60929-2. i take it this one is still not as good as Seth Winner's???
Frank Berger
2020-08-03 00:49:48 UTC
Post by furrybear57
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
Which is the best cd transfer? Pearl or Kepoko (?)
I have the Ward Marston transfer on the 2-disc RCA release titled: Legendary Strauss Recordings. BMG catalog no. 09026-60929-2. i take it this one is still not as good as Seth Winner's???
Personally, I don't think either of the Mengelberg
recordings holds a candle to Reiner's 1954 recording with
the CSO.

Apologies if this appears twice. I sent it earlier and it
didn't appear on my server.