oddest arrangement you own
2020-07-22 09:41:55 UTC
Maybe not all that odd, but somewhere in my vinyl collection I have a whole LP of Resphiggi (The Birds
and Pines of Rome) on koto trio.
Concerning the koto, there is now a cd of it playing the Goldberg Variations:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.continuoclassics.com/&prev=search&pto=aue
Lawrence Kart
2020-07-22 13:09:46 UTC
Jim Self playing Debussy's Syrinx on tuba. At once funny and quite beautiful. Self was the voice of the Mothership in "Close Encouhters."
Lawrence Kart

JohnGavin
2020-07-22 13:26:28 UTC
This certainly fits the bill. If you know the original, you will see that it works beautifully. Bravo!

Kerrison
2020-07-23 06:17:33 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
This certainly fits the bill. If you know the original, you will see that it works beautifully. Bravo!
http://youtu.be/zrLR0qGJd_8
I don't own this 'Melodica' arrangement of The Rite of Spring (somewhat abridged) but it's certainly "odd," as are the two performers ...

Robert Marshall
2020-07-23 18:37:18 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by g***@gmail.com
Maybe not all that odd, but somewhere in my vinyl collection I have a whole LP of Resphiggi (The Birds
and Pines of Rome) on koto trio.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.continuoclassics.com/&prev=search&pto=aue
Jim Self playing Debussy's Syrinx on tuba. At once funny and quite
beautiful. Self was the voice of the Mothership in "Close Encouhters."
I recently came across some arrangements of piano pieces - and some for
the actual ensemble - for harp and trombone

https://www.lastrowmusic.com/audio-review-improbabile-by-ricardo-pereira/
though the link claims the combination is increasingly popular

I was looking for performances of Fragoso preludes and these are the
only
version of them on spotify..

Robert
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm
Joe Markley
2020-07-23 19:25:38 UTC
Mists: Charles Ives for Jazz Orchestra on the Planet Arts label is something I wouldn't have dreamed up but have enjoyed.

Joe Markley
Plantsville, Connecticut
number_six
2020-07-24 16:55:09 UTC
Mary Schneider - Yodeling the Classics on the Ichiban label

There were several entries in that koto series --

Handel, Mozart, Respighi, and if I recall, Vivaldi
w***@gmail.com
2020-07-25 21:43:02 UTC
How about a jazz interpretation of a nearly complete "Porgy and Bess" featuring Mel Torme as Porgy?
MiNe109
2020-07-25 22:40:04 UTC
Got it!
oldeastsider
2020-07-25 23:44:33 UTC
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Duke Ellingtons arrangement of the Nutcracker Suite, and the AAron Bell Orchestra's Jazz version of Victory at Sea.
PAUL
w***@gmail.com
2020-07-26 19:55:09 UTC
Post by oldeastsider
I don't believe anyone has mentioned Duke Ellingtons arrangement of the Nutcracker Suite, and the AAron Bell Orchestra's Jazz version of Victory at Sea.
PAUL
Thanks for this!

"Victory At Sea" was my gateway drug into the world of classical music. I was not aware of the Aaron Bell version. Looks like it never had a CD release.

Duke Ellington's "Nutcracker Suite" is in pretty heavy rotation on the cable TV "Music Choice - Light Classics" channel these days.
Lawrence Kart
2020-07-26 03:05:09 UTC
And Frances Faye as the first lesbian Bess?
g***@gmail.com
2020-07-24 02:27:31 UTC
Maybe not all that odd, but somewhere in my vinyl collection I have a whole LP of Resphiggi (The Birds
and Pines of Rome) on koto trio.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.continuoclassics.com/&prev=search&pto=aue
To hear the Japanese shamisen, shakuhachi and Chinese di in an arrangement of AIDA's "Evening Nile Temple Chorus":

https://www.amazon.com/Aida-Verdi-Evening-Temple-Chorus/dp/B000QQ0JPY/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Evening+Nile+Temple+Chorus+venerated+patterns+of+china&qid=1595557515&sr=8-1
Mr. Mike
2020-07-26 17:46:06 UTC
On Friday, June 20, 2003 at 7:27:06 AM UTC-7...
I dunno if this was mentioned after the original posting (2003 - duh!)
... my Usenet hosting company only goes back to July 4, 2003...

Don't forget Skip Martin's Scheherajazz, which has been revived
recently:

See also
https://www.ewu.edu/stories/scheherajazz-concert-features-music-ensembles/
MiNe109
2020-07-26 20:10:53 UTC
I picked a used cd of an mixed recital I hoped was a gypsy band
reimagining Bartok, Monti, etc but it turned out to be a straight
performance with a mandolin soloist. Let me know if I need to give Avi
Avital a second listen!

Seconds on the Ellington Nutcracker.
s***@gmail.com
2020-07-26 20:44:29 UTC
One that came to mind this morning, Frank Reizenstein’s Concerto Popolare. There is a second where the music stops and you don’t quite know where they are... Here is the YouTube link

Also a mention of the Spike Jones version of the Nutcracker Suite. I have the Catalyst BMG CD release from the early 90’s. Parts would not be done this way now, Chinese Dance especially. But the arrangements and some of the wordplay in the lyrics, Waltz of the Flowers comes to mind, is fantastic.

Stan Punzel
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-07-26 21:23:38 UTC
One that came to mind this morning, Frank Reizenstein’s Concerto Popolare. There is a second where the music stops and you don’t quite know where they are... Here is the YouTube link http://youtu.be/PVC1AkIJh68
Also a mention of the Spike Jones version of the Nutcracker Suite. I have the Catalyst BMG CD release from the early 90’s. Parts would not be done this way now, Chinese Dance especially. But the arrangements and some of the wordplay in the lyrics, Waltz of the Flowers comes to mind, is fantastic.
Stan Punzel
Some people will consider a Winterreise accompanied by wind quintet
and accordion odd. I find that it works perfectly. Christopher
Prégardien has recorded it this way with the arrangment by Normand
Forget. I would say that the "komponierte interpretation" by Hans
Zender, which Prégardien has recorded more than once, is odd. I
listened to it once and vowed never to do so again.
sci.space
2020-07-27 12:40:53 UTC
While we are on Hoffnung Festival thread, cannot forget Sugar Plums, a Tchaikovsky pastiche played by the Dolmetsch recorder ensemble.
sci.space
2020-07-27 14:14:47 UTC
I forgot perhaps the oddest Hoffnung Festival arrangement (derangement?), Chopin's Mazurka Op 47 for tuba quartet.
g***@gmail.com
2020-08-02 04:34:18 UTC
Maybe not all that odd, but somewhere in my vinyl collection I have a whole LP of Resphiggi (The Birds
and Pines of Rome) on koto trio.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.continuoclassics.com/&prev=search&pto=aue
With regard to the koto and shakuhachi, you can hear jazzed up arrangements of Bach on Youttube:

Tadao Sawai & Others - J.S. Bach Is Alive and Well and Doing His Thing on the Koto (1971)
number_six
2020-08-02 15:56:16 UTC
Not something I "own" but...

The Stranglers' Golden Brown played on 8 floppy drives

Odd indeed -- but effective IMO!
g***@gmail.com
2020-09-08 01:16:10 UTC
If you collect records long enough you've probably
bought your share of curiosity items and I hope you'll
fess up. What's the oddest arrangement of a recognized
piece of classical music you have? If necessary I'll
even accept the volga Boat Song arranged for solo bass
clarinet, but I'll bet you've got something "better".
excluding pdq.bach and wendy carlos, i believe i have
arrangements of mussorgsky's pictures for synthesizer,
organ and guitar. also the liszt sonata arranged for
organ. however, the oddest arrangement i have is so
odd that i cannot find the words to describe it!
dk
https://books.google.com/books?id=8DXnDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT53&dq=%22abomination+of+arrangements%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJ2uKBsNjrAhXPDuwKHfusCW4Q6AEwAHoECAAQAg#v=onepage&q=%22abomination%20of%20arrangements%22&f=false
dk
2020-09-16 03:06:21 UTC
If you collect records long enough you've probably
bought your share of curiosity items and I hope you'll
fess up. What's the oddest arrangement of a recognized
piece of classical music you have? If necessary I'll
even accept the volga Boat Song arranged for solo bass
clarinet, but I'll bet you've got something "better".
excluding pdq.bach and wendy carlos, i believe i have
arrangements of mussorgsky's pictures for synthesizer,
organ and guitar. also the liszt sonata arranged for
organ. however, the oddest arrangement i have is so
odd that i cannot find the words to describe it!
https://books.google.com/books?id=8DXnDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT53&dq=%22abomination+of+arrangements%22&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJ2uKBsNjrAhXPDuwKHfusCW4Q6AEwAHoECAAQAg#v=onepage&q=%22abomination%20of%20arrangements%22&f=false
I feel deeply touched and greatly flattered
that one of my opinions is being quoted
after 17 years -- in spite of having an
expiration date of June 26, 2003! The
quote bot certainly has a very long