Recommendations for Francesca da Rimini?
2021-01-25 09:54:54 UTC
TIA

dk
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-25 21:21:15 UTC
TIA
dk
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround

Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
number_six
Agree re Stoki...Dorati also good...don't own a recent recording of this
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-25 21:50:10 UTC
I agree about Dorati, but. . . Northrup Auditorium. . . pretty darned dry! ;-)
dk
2021-01-25 21:57:28 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Thanks! I have Rozh/Leningrad on LP -- haven't listened in years!
When I retire I hope to find time to digitize my LP collection.

2021-01-25 23:03:51 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Thanks! I have Rozh/Leningrad on LP -- haven't listened in years!
When I retire I hope to find time to digitize my LP collection.
Just listening to

Magnificent!

2021-01-25 23:08:10 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Thanks! I have Rozh/Leningrad on LP -- haven't listened in years!
When I retire I hope to find time to digitize my LP collection.
Just listening to http://youtu.be/xBX9rFDZ0UQ
Magnificent!
I am increasingly inclined to believe Francesca da Rimini is PIT's finest work.

dk
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-26 09:36:22 UTC
It's certainly one of my own faves.
Frank Berger
2021-01-26 00:23:08 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Thanks! I have Rozh/Leningrad on LP -- haven't listened in years!
When I retire I hope to find time to digitize my LP collection.
dk
That's what I said 10 years ago. I no longer aspire to that.
Bought cemetery plots in Israel today with the money I
could have used to hire someone to digitize the collection.
I never thought about the economics of buying cemetery
plots in advance. Still haven't.
dk
2021-01-26 04:08:31 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Thanks! I have Rozh/Leningrad on LP -- haven't listened in years!
When I retire I hope to find time to digitize my LP collection.
That's what I said 10 years ago. I no longer aspire to that.
Bought cemetery plots in Israel today with the money I
could have used to hire someone to digitize the collection.
I never thought about the economics of buying cemetery
plots in advance. Still haven't.
Lucky you! I had the impression burial plots were no longer
available in Israel -- only mailboxes.

2021-01-26 05:36:13 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Thanks! I have Rozh/Leningrad on LP -- haven't listened in years!
When I retire I hope to find time to digitize my LP collection.
That's what I said 10 years ago. I no longer aspire to that.
Bought cemetery plots in Israel today with the money I
could have used to hire someone to digitize the collection.
I never thought about the economics of buying cemetery
plots in advance. Still haven't.
Lucky you! I had the impression burial plots were no longer
available in Israel -- only mailboxes.
dk
Being buried in Israel is a big business. My understanding
is that bodies are being sent on cargo flights even during
the shutdown(s). Really, the thing to do is die while
visiting Israel. Then the government (i.e.taxpayers) pays
burial expenses.
Herman
2021-01-26 07:59:49 UTC
Really, the thing to do is die while
visiting Israel. Then the government (i.e.taxpayers) pays
burial expenses.
I take it this is largely tongue in cheek. Still it's kind of odd coming from a man who has talked about government = bad many times. In this case doubly so, since I assume you're not paying Israeli taxes.

However, anything is better than Francesca di Rimini, Tchaikovsky at his nearest lugubrious.
Herman
2021-01-26 08:06:05 UTC
I hasten to add that I wish you yet a long and healthy life.
Frank Berger
2021-01-26 14:07:13 UTC
I hasten to add that I wish you yet a long and healthy life.
That way, you can continue to pick on me.
Bob Harper
2021-01-26 18:46:54 UTC
I hasten to add that I wish you yet a long and healthy life.
That way, you can continue to pick on me.
Self pity, even if in jest, does not sit well on you, Frank. But then I
doubt you'd really let Herman get to you :).

2021-01-26 18:50:57 UTC
I hasten to add that I wish you yet a long and healthy life.
That way, you can continue to pick on me.
Self pity, even if in jest, does not sit well on you, Frank.
But then I doubt you'd really let Herman get to you :).
Bob Harper
You mistake a statement of fact for an emotion on my part.
Herman does not get to me at all.
Frank Berger
2021-01-26 14:06:28 UTC
Really, the thing to do is die while
visiting Israel. Then the government (i.e.taxpayers) pays
burial expenses.
I take it this is largely tongue in cheek. Still it's kind of odd coming from a man who has talked about government = bad many times. In this case doubly so, since I assume you're not paying Israeli taxes.
However, anything is better than Francesca di Rimini, Tchaikovsky at his nearest lugubrious.
If you assume it was tongue-in-cheek, why the not-so-veiled
call-out for hypocrisy. On the other hand, why not?
dk
2021-01-26 16:08:50 UTC
However, anything is better than Francesca di Rimini,
Tchaikovsky at his nearest lugubrious.
Would you decline to perform in it? ;-)

dk
Mark Melson
2021-01-25 23:24:40 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
dk
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Munch's 1955 RCA early-stereo recording with the Boston Symphony is thrilling, as is its original LP disc-mate, the Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture. The R&J, by the way, is more exciting than its later re-recording with the same forces from the early 1960s. There's also a scintillating live 1983 recording, issued on an IMG "Great Conductors of the 20th Century" disc, with the Mravinsky and the Leningrad Phil.

Mark
dk
2021-01-25 23:44:02 UTC
Post by Mark Melson
Post by Chris from Lafayette
TIA
dk
Rozhdestvensky/Leningrad on DG - tempos on the moderate side though
Stokowski/"Stadium Symphony Orchestra" - originally on Everest
Munch/RPO - originally on Reader's Digest
Jansons/BRSO - because. . . you know. . . surround
Probably a lot more I'm forgetting.
Munch's 1955 RCA early-stereo recording with the Boston Symphony is thrilling,
as is its original LP disc-mate, the Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture. The R&J,
by the way, is more exciting than its later re-recording with the same forces from
the early 1960s. There's also a scintillating live 1983 recording, issued on an IMG
"Great Conductors of the 20th Century" disc, with the Mravinsky and the Leningrad
Phil.
Thanks! I have all the above on LPs but have not heard them in years! IIRC I liked
Rozh and Mravinsky. I did not like Munch/BSO primarily because the orchestra
does not sound "Russian" enough to my ears.

dk
Ed Presson
2021-01-26 21:05:27 UTC
"dk" wrote in message news:7903b58a-2e5a-4c38-971d-***@googlegroups.com...

TIA

dk

Munch, Muti, and (above all) Stokowski.
- fsmedia
2021-01-28 00:39:26 UTC
Yes - Stokowski, Stokowski, Stokowski (though I'm usually not so much of a Stoki fan).
dk
2021-01-28 02:46:11 UTC
Post by - fsmedia
Post by Ed Presson
TIA
Munch, Muti, and (above all) Stokowski.
Yes - Stokowski, Stokowski, Stokowski (though I'm usually not so much of a Stoki fan).
Many thanks for all the recommendations!
They certainly made my day interesting!

Here is my final pick from all the versions I heard:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igb7ci6a6lvrlcw/Tchaikovsky%20-%20Francesca%20da%20Rimini%20-%20Symphonic%20Poem%20op%2032.mp3?dl=0

What do you think?

dk
ways
2021-01-28 13:04:32 UTC
had anybody heard this version
Tchaikovsky Francesca da Rimini
LSO Stokowski RAH Concert 7 January 1974
Frank Berger
2021-01-28 16:33:42 UTC
Not nearly as good as his earlier ones, IMO.
Sol L. Siegel
2021-01-28 19:42:07 UTC
TIA
dk
Beecham, 1939. You won't believe that any orchestra could play the Inferno
music that fast.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
2021-01-29 21:33:14 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Beecham, 1939. You won't believe that any orchestra could play the
Inferno music that fast.
They must have been running away from Sir Thomas! ;-)

I tend to dislike fast Francesca readings. I will take expression over
speed any time. This is one of the reasons I am less impressed by
Mravinsky's and Stokowski's many recordings of the work. I'd say
26 minutes is the minimum for an expressive performance. 23
minutes sounds too fast to my ears.

2021-01-30 00:49:01 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Beecham, 1939. You won't believe that any orchestra could play the
Inferno music that fast.
They must have been running away from Sir Thomas! ;-)
I tend to dislike fast Francesca readings. I will take expression over
speed any time. This is one of the reasons I am less impressed by
Mravinsky's and Stokowski's many recordings of the work. I'd say
26 minutes is the minimum for an expressive performance. 23
minutes sounds too fast to my ears.
Here are my 7 finalists:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j41r74g73lyd8fz/AACXB1DscPLq8GpttRn_4oAja?dl=0

If you would like to hear them one can just open the links in one's
browser -- no need to download the files. This works in Firefox,
Chrome and Opera. I did not test Explorer or Safari. Enjoy!

dk
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 02:07:34 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Beecham, 1939. You won't believe that any orchestra could play the
Inferno music that fast.
They must have been running away from Sir Thomas! ;-)
I tend to dislike fast Francesca readings. I will take expression over
speed any time. This is one of the reasons I am less impressed by
Mravinsky's and Stokowski's many recordings of the work. I'd say
26 minutes is the minimum for an expressive performance. 23
minutes sounds too fast to my ears.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/j41r74g73lyd8fz/AACXB1DscPLq8GpttRn_4oAja?dl=0
If you would like to hear them one can just open the links in one's
browser -- no need to download the files. This works in Firefox,
Chrome and Opera. I did not test Explorer or Safari. Enjoy!
dk
I liked 1, 3, and 4. The number 7 was by me uniquely accepted. Thanks for sharing this intimate piece of masterwork and your research makings on this subject.

YM
dk
2021-01-31 03:09:42 UTC
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Post by Sol L. Siegel
[...]
Thanks for listening! are you saying you liked 7 better than all the
others?

dk
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 05:58:21 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
[...]
I consider that taste and appreciation is different. And, my taste rather inclines to number 1 (the fastest in all, and maybe this is because I am still too young and unexperienced?) and then number 3 and 4, but I somehow appreciate number 7 as well. Upon my second listening, I found that I appreciated number 2 as well, and (this) number 2 is better appreciated to number 7. Number 2 is brilliantly conducted and therefore played. I have a Mravinsky recording (24:29) on Russin Disc.

YM
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 06:02:48 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
[...]
Number 4 is excellent as well! Who is the conductor?

YM
dk
2021-01-31 06:28:20 UTC
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
I consider that taste and appreciation is different. And, my taste
rather inclines to number 1 (the fastest in all, and maybe this is
because I am still too young and unexperienced?) and then
number 3 and 4, but I somehow appreciate number 7 as well.
Upon my second listening, I found that I appreciated number
2 as well, and (this) number 2 is better appreciated to number
7. Number 2 is brilliantly conducted and therefore played. I have
a Mravinsky recording (24:29) on Russian Disc.
Number 4 is excellent as well! Who is the conductor?
E-mail me.

dk
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 07:30:17 UTC
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
I consider that taste and appreciation is different. And, my taste
rather inclines to number 1 (the fastest in all, and maybe this is
because I am still too young and unexperienced?) and then
number 3 and 4, but I somehow appreciate number 7 as well.
Upon my second listening, I found that I appreciated number
2 as well, and (this) number 2 is better appreciated to number
7. Number 2 is brilliantly conducted and therefore played. I have
a Mravinsky recording (24:29) on Russian Disc.
Number 4 is excellent as well! Who is the conductor?
E-mail me.
dk
I don't have your email address. I tried to join-in this group only in order to email you, but it was impossible.

YM
Frank Berger
2021-01-31 14:27:15 UTC
Post by dk
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
I consider that taste and appreciation is different. And, my taste
rather inclines to number 1 (the fastest in all, and maybe this is
because I am still too young and unexperienced?) and then
number 3 and 4, but I somehow appreciate number 7 as well.
Upon my second listening, I found that I appreciated number
2 as well, and (this) number 2 is better appreciated to number
7. Number 2 is brilliantly conducted and therefore played. I have
a Mravinsky recording (24:29) on Russian Disc.
Number 4 is excellent as well! Who is the conductor?
E-mail me.
dk
I don't have your email address. I tried to join-in this group only in order to email you, but it was impossible.
YM
There is no such thing as "joining" the group.

Doesn't the e-mail address show up in the "from" field. It
does in Thunderbird. Sometimes the e-mail address shows up
in google groups, sometimes not. Not sure how that works.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 17:35:47 UTC
Post by dk
[...]
I am only reading this UseNet group by Google Groups. I have no further intention to extend my activities on this group. Sorry about that.
I used to remember dk's email address (net.com address), but I forgot it, and I won't try further adventures in this (I mean guessing his email address and send an email to that address).

YM
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 17:40:35 UTC
Post by dk
[...]
Further, I am open in public all my contact information regarding internet, so that dk can find it and send an email to me if he really wishes. (no offence intended).

YM
dk
2021-01-31 17:47:49 UTC
?!? My e-mail address is public: ***@gmail.com.

dk
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 18:07:05 UTC
Google Group is hiding email addresses (in its entity: yours is only displayed as ***@gmail.com) even they are in public. I tried to guess yours in full, and have sent you test emails. Please let me know in return in case you successfully receive it (them). Anyway, thank you, very much.

YM
John Fitzgerald Kennedy
2021-01-31 18:15:14 UTC
Post by dk
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Number 4 is excellent as well! Who is the conductor?
E-mail me.
I don't have your email address. I tried to join-in this
group only in order to email you, but it was impossible.
dk
YM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17yKM4g1nCrGEg_oFp4pYkbKkVnftzSP_/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I9zO_xzOwa_7peYCiA7ob1FzMX9zQwj7/view?usp=sharing

Just like above in the screenshots.

YM
weary flake
2021-02-03 20:31:00 UTC
Post by dk
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Number 4 is excellent as well! Who is the conductor?
E-mail me.
I don't have your email address. I tried to join-in this
group only in order to email you, but it was impossible.
dk
YM
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17yKM4g1nCrGEg_oFp4pYkbKkVnftzSP_/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I9zO_xzOwa_7peYCiA7ob1FzMX9zQwj7/view?usp=sharing
Just like above in the screenshots.
YM
I'll tell you what I saw:

dan.koren @ gmail.com

Can you see the email address if you delete the spaces?

Thanks for informing us about another way that google
is messing up the newsgroups. A more severe googleism
is no longer allowing usenet wide searches, google
only allows searching one newsgroup at a time, and only
to people who are registered to google and signed in.
dk
2021-02-04 00:27:17 UTC
Post by weary flake
Thanks for informing us about another way that google
is messing up the newsgroups. A more severe googleism
is no longer allowing usenet wide searches, google
only allows searching one newsgroup at a time, and only
to people who are registered to google and signed in.
This is most likely done to limit load on the servers.

dk
Todd Michel McComb
2021-02-04 00:44:09 UTC
This is most likely done to limit load on the servers.
Ha.

dk
2021-01-31 21:25:05 UTC
Post by dk
Post by John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Number 4 is excellent as well! Who is the conductor?
E-mail me.
I don't have your email address. I tried to join-in this
group only in order to email you, but it was impossible.
they are in public.
And you couldn't figure out the rest ?!?

dk
Sol L. Siegel
2021-01-28 19:47:07 UTC
TIA
dk
Surprise: Ashkenazy, from early in his conducting career. Quite
possibly the best recording he's made, of anything.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
2021-01-29 04:20:48 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Surprise: Ashkenazy, from early in his conducting career. Quite
possibly the best recording he's made, of anything.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
I just gave it a quick check and found it boring and pedestrian.
This is my top pick resulting from the last few days' exploration:

2021-01-29 17:08:54 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Surprise: Ashkenazy, from early in his conducting career. Quite
possibly the best recording he's made, of anything.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
I just gave it a quick check and found it boring and pedestrian.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igb7ci6a6lvrlcw/Tchaikovsky%20-%20Francesca%20da%20Rimini%20-%20Symphonic%20Poem%20op%2032.mp3?dl=0
dk
Performance is not identified (intentionally?). This is the first
time I have listened to this piece in many years. I have long
regarded it as noisy repetitious junk, inferior to the Romeo and
Juliet Fantasy. However, the Wikipedia article on Tchaikovsky's
Francesca mentions that it is more inventive than the similarly themed
Dante Symphony of Liszt (I agree) and quotes high praise from
Saint-Saëns.
dk
2021-01-29 20:43:12 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by dk
I just gave it a quick check and found it boring and pedestrian.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igb7ci6a6lvrlcw/Tchaikovsky%20-%20Francesca%20da%20Rimini%20-%20Symphonic%20Poem%20op%2032.mp3?dl=0
Performance is not identified (intentionally?).
Yes.
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
This is the first time I have listened to this piece in many years.
Great!
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
I have long regarded it as "noisy repetitious junk",
Just like Beethoven, Bruckner, and Dick Wagner?
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
inferior to the Romeo and Juliet Fantasy.
De gustibus.

2021-01-29 20:53:24 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
However, the Wikipedia article on Tchaikovsky's
Francesca mentions that it is more inventive than the similarly themed
Dante Symphony of Liszt (I agree) and quotes high praise from
Saint-Saëns.
You are aware how Wikipedia works?

If I want to edit in that FdRi is a piece of "noisy repetive junk" I can do so, and chances are this comment will stay there for some time on Wiki. I could even footnote it and refer to this RCMR topic to make it look better.
Gerard
2021-01-30 10:42:09 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Surprise: Ashkenazy, from early in his conducting career. Quite
possibly the best recording he's made, of anything.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
I just gave it a quick check and found it boring and pedestrian.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igb7ci6a6lvrlcw/Tchaikovsky%20-%20Francesca%20da%20Rimini%20-%20Symphonic%20Poem%20op%2032.mp3?dl=0
dk
As you don't give any information about performances, recordings,
conductors, this is meaningless.
dk
2021-01-29 21:28:51 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Surprise: Ashkenazy, from early in his conducting career.
Quite possibly the best recording he's made, of anything.
He did a pretty good job with the Rachmaninov Symphonies.
Otherwise, he is a pretty mediocre conductor, just like most
pianists turned conductors.

dk
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-31 15:18:17 UTC
TIA
My recommendation: Well, Francie, if you'd married that nice young doctor your momma introduced you to, you could have settled down by now instead of forever running round in circles ...

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Tassilo
2021-01-31 22:11:10 UTC
And here I thought you meant the opera by Zandonai. -Tassilo
TIA