Igor Levit's new complete Beethoven piano sonatas
2019-09-07 18:35:36 UTC
Apparently to be released by SONY next week, BBC Radio 3 Record Review gives a thumbs up, at least to the Sonata No. 1 , Op.2,# 1, played complete on the broadcast here,the full set to be reviewed next week on BBCR3:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00089ms ( At about 1:31:30 in )

Some years ago I recall a reviewer opining it was often difficult to tell if a work was late Mozart or late Haydn vs. early Beethoven. Not with this work.
Invocation
2019-09-07 20:06:35 UTC
在 2019年9月7日星期六 UTC-4下午2:35:39,Bozo写道:
Post by Bozo
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00089ms ( At about 1:31:30 in )
Some years ago I recall a reviewer opining it was often difficult to tell if a work was late Mozart or late Haydn vs. early Beethoven. Not with this work.
Guardian's review gives it four stars:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/05/beethoven-complete-piano-sonatas-review
Mandryka
2019-09-07 21:02:16 UTC
Andrew Clements thought he played too fast, and in doing so, lost the music. And he singles out the last movement of the Waldstein as an example.

The comments made me think of Paul Jacobs’ recording of op 53, which is a bit special for the way he combines playfulness and power, that may well be just what Beethoven needs. I note that Clements’ faves are Arrau and Gilles on DG, who are coming from a different idea of the music.

As a result of reading Clements’ review I’ve already decided I like the new Levitt without hearing it. I did hear him do them in concert though.
Bozo
2019-09-07 21:48:18 UTC
Post by Mandryka
As a result of reading Clements’ review I’ve already decided I like the new Levitt without hearing it.
2 marks !!

I , too , have the Jacobs' live recording ( Arbiter Records ) of "Waldstein" , which is amazing , although Jacobs' would not be for all tastes, certainly not for Arrau fans. Beethoven " broke the mold " with the "Waldstein", which Jacobs reflects.
Bozo
2019-09-09 12:03:04 UTC
Levit's earlier Sony set of LvB Nos. 28, "Hammerklavier",30,31,32 is here on his channel , as are his other cd's:

Bozo
2019-09-09 13:14:47 UTC
( PR video for the Beethoven set )

(Playing a fav of mine,Bill Evans’ “Peace Piece”,from Levit's "Life" cd )