Igor Levit's new complete Beethoven piano sonatas
2019-09-07 18:35:36 UTC
Apparently to be released by SONY next week, BBC Radio 3 Record Review gives a thumbs up, at least to the Sonata No. 1 , Op.2,# 1, played complete on the broadcast here,the full set to be reviewed next week on BBCR3:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00089ms ( At about 1:31:30 in )

Some years ago I recall a reviewer opining it was often difficult to tell if a work was late Mozart or late Haydn vs. early Beethoven. Not with this work.
Invocation
2019-09-07 20:06:35 UTC
在 2019年9月7日星期六 UTC-4下午2:35:39,Bozo写道:
Post by Bozo
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00089ms ( At about 1:31:30 in )
Some years ago I recall a reviewer opining it was often difficult to tell if a work was late Mozart or late Haydn vs. early Beethoven. Not with this work.
Guardian's review gives it four stars:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/05/beethoven-complete-piano-sonatas-review
Mandryka
2019-09-07 21:02:16 UTC
Andrew Clements thought he played too fast, and in doing so, lost the music. And he singles out the last movement of the Waldstein as an example.

The comments made me think of Paul Jacobs’ recording of op 53, which is a bit special for the way he combines playfulness and power, that may well be just what Beethoven needs. I note that Clements’ faves are Arrau and Gilles on DG, who are coming from a different idea of the music.

As a result of reading Clements’ review I’ve already decided I like the new Levitt without hearing it. I did hear him do them in concert though.
Bozo
2019-09-07 21:48:18 UTC
Post by Mandryka
As a result of reading Clements’ review I’ve already decided I like the new Levitt without hearing it.
2 marks !!

I , too , have the Jacobs' live recording ( Arbiter Records ) of "Waldstein" , which is amazing , although Jacobs' would not be for all tastes, certainly not for Arrau fans. Beethoven " broke the mold " with the "Waldstein", which Jacobs reflects.
Bozo
2019-09-09 12:03:04 UTC
Levit's earlier Sony set of LvB Nos. 28, "Hammerklavier",30,31,32 is here on his channel , as are his other cd's:

Bozo
2019-09-09 13:14:47 UTC
( PR video for the Beethoven set )

(Playing a fav of mine,Bill Evans’ “Peace Piece”,from Levit's "Life" cd )
JohnGavin
2019-12-25 15:40:26 UTC
I finally got around to listening to Levit’s Beethoven cycle. I’ve gotten as far as the first three sonatas (opus 2 numbers 1, 2 and 3). To my ears they are so well done that they would seem to be beyond any criticism. The playing is straightforward, beautifully gaged. As Henk would say, these performances are very easy to listen to, In the best sense imaginable. Highly recommended.
s***@nycap.rr.com
2019-12-25 19:51:08 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
I finally got around to listening to Levit’s Beethoven cycle. I’ve gotten as far as the first three sonatas (opus 2 numbers 1, 2 and 3). To my ears they are so well done that they would seem to be beyond any criticism. The playing is straightforward, beautifully gaged. As Henk would say, these performances are very easy to listen to, In the best sense imaginable. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the review. Now ... will I break down and buy it? My library contains sets by Claude Frank, Buchbinder, Gulda, Goodyear as well as "name" sonatas by Rudolph Serkin, Gilels, Lupu, Moravec, Horowitz, Richter and Arrau. Does Mr. Levit bring anything new to the table?

MIFrost
JohnGavin
2019-12-25 20:19:54 UTC
Thanks for the review. Now ... will I break down and buy it? My library contains sets by Claude Frank, Buchbinder, Gulda, Goodyear as well as "name" sonatas by Rudolph Serkin, Gilels, Lupu, Moravec, Horowitz, Richter and Arrau. Does Mr. Levit bring anything new to the table?

MIFrost

—————————————————————
That’s a good question, but difficult to answer. He doesn’t strike me as having a dominant, instantly recognizable personality as does Horowitz, Serkin or Gilels. But that can be a plus. Try to hear some of his playing before investing in the CDs.
Ricardo Jimenez
2019-12-25 20:56:56 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
I finally got around to listening to Levit’s Beethoven cycle. I’ve gotten as far as the first three sonatas (opus 2 numbers 1, 2 and 3). To my ears they are so well done that they would seem to be beyond any criticism. The playing is straightforward, beautifully gaged. As Henk would say, these performances are very easy to listen to, In the best sense imaginable. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the review. Now ... will I break down and buy it? My library contains sets by Claude Frank, Buchbinder, Gulda, Goodyear as well as "name" sonatas by Rudolph Serkin, Gilels, Lupu, Moravec, Horowitz, Richter and Arrau. Does Mr. Levit bring anything new to the table?
MIFrost
It is on Spotify like all the recent complete Beethoven piano sonatas.
Because of the existence of such streaming services, I hardly buy
music CDs anymore. If I do buy, it is usually an opera recording that
can't be heard otherwise. For example I recently bought the Moffo,
Domingo performance of Montemezzi's L'amore Dei Tre Re. Since Netflix
doesn't offer recent opera or concert DVD/Blu-rays for rental or
streaming anymore, my classical music budget goes for them.