Orchestra or piano
Add Reply
Tatonik
2020-07-19 17:41:31 UTC
I've always been fascinated by works that started on the piano and were
later orchestrated by the composer. (Offhand I can't think of examples
of the reverse, though I expect there are some.) Sometimes I prefer the
piano version, sometimes the orchestral version, though often I can't
say why.

Two I've listened to recently in both versions are Brahms' Variations on
a Theme by Haydn (two pianos) and Ravel's Valses nobles et
sentimentales. I find I much prefer the pianos in the Brahms and the
orchestra in the Ravel.

Although I've heard others I've liked, the piano performance of the
Brahms I keep coming back to is the one by Murray Perahia and Georg
Solti. I haven't settled on any favorites in the Ravel.
Andy Evans
2020-07-19 21:11:46 UTC
I like a lot of the Strauss songs in their orchestral arrangements. But one that sounds much better on the piano is Ständchen. It's perfect for the piano.

Quite a few song cycles have both piano and orchestral versions. Falla's 7 Popular Songs sound great in the Berio arrangement, especially sung here by flamenco singer Trinidad Montero. Marvellous. My favourite version together with flamenco singer Estrella Morente (piano version). Give me the flamenco singers in this music - a wholly different experience and up a level for my taste.

Andy Evans
2020-07-19 21:14:47 UTC
Falla's 7 Popular Songs sound great in the Berio arrangement, especially sung here by flamenco singer Trinidad Montero. Marvellous. My favourite version together with flamenco singer Estrella Morente (piano version). Give me the flamenco singers in this music - a wholly different experience and up a level for my taste.
Post by Andy Evans
http://youtu.be/DlrN5ahvgLk
Here's Estrella Morente for comparison. Just beautiful.

number_six
2020-07-20 15:07:21 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
Quite a few song cycles have both piano and orchestral versions. Falla's 7 Popular Songs sound great in the Berio arrangement, especially sung here by flamenco singer Trinidad Montero. Marvellous.
There was an interesting thread last year re Falla /Berio.

Prior to that, I had not heard the Berio arrangement.
number_six
2020-07-20 15:03:37 UTC
From Ravel, Tombeau de Couperin is also a great piece in both versions

But I have not checked which was the original version
JohnA
2020-07-20 16:29:42 UTC
Post by number_six
From Ravel, Tombeau de Couperin is also a great piece in both versions
But I have not checked which was the original version
From the Wikipedia page:

Le Tombeau de Couperin is a suite for solo piano by Maurice Ravel, composed between 1914 and 1917. The piece is in six movements, based on those of a traditional Baroque suite. Each movement is dedicated to the memory of a friend of the composer (or in one case, two brothers) who had died fighting in World War I. Ravel also produced an orchestral version of the work in 1919, although this omitted two of the original movements.
musicologist09
2020-07-20 18:01:15 UTC
Interestingly (or perhaps predictably), Ravel omits from his orchestration the two movements that are most specifically pianistic in outlook: the Fugue (thus destroying the Prelude + Fugue pairing with which the piano original begins) and the Toccata (which necessitated rearranging the movement sequence so that the orchestral score could have an active closer in the Rigaudon).