Best Schubert symphony box
Add Reply
Lawrence Chalmers
2020-07-15 18:21:16 UTC
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
v***@gmail.com
2020-07-15 18:34:32 UTC
Bohm/BPO, Harnoncourt/RCO
wkasimer
2020-07-15 18:41:31 UTC
Dausgaard, although I'm not sure if it's complete. For HIP Immerseel or Brüggen.
Frank Berger
2020-07-15 18:46:50 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
Sets I like, in no particular order:

Marriner, Immerseel, Stein, Mehta, Maag, Blomstedt,
Dausgaard. Of these only Marriner includes completions of
#7 (D.729) and #10 (D.936A).
John Fowler
2020-07-15 19:29:07 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
The Marriner set with all the extra symphonies is indispensible.
I'm surprised no one else has attempted such a complete set.
The standard eight symphonies are pretty good, but I prefer Bohm/Berlin PO and Menuhin/Menuhin Festival Orch. (his first set on EMI).
dk
2020-07-15 20:54:01 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
Wolfgang Sawallisch conducting
the Staatskapelle Dresden.

2020-07-15 21:47:28 UTC
In addition to many already mentioned I add Günter Wand.
Frank Berger
2020-07-16 14:57:07 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
In addition to many already mentioned I add Günter Wand.
Tally of mentions so far:

Abbado 2
Blomstedt 2
Bohm 3
Bruggen 2
Dausgaard 2
Harnoncourt RCO 2
Harnoncourt BPO 1
Innerseel 4
Maag 1
Marriner 2
Mehta 1
Menuhin EMI 2
Minkowski 2
Sawallisch 3
Stein 1
Vegh 1
Wand 1
s***@nycap.rr.com
2020-07-16 16:22:40 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
In addition to many already mentioned I add Günter Wand.
Abbado 2
Blomstedt 2
Bohm 3
Bruggen 2
Dausgaard 2
Harnoncourt RCO 2
Harnoncourt BPO 1
Innerseel 4
Maag 1
Marriner 2
Mehta 1
Menuhin EMI 2
Minkowski 2
Sawallisch 3
Stein 1
Vegh 1
Wand 1
I really can't see how we've been helpful to this poster by "recommending" so many sets. This is not directed at Mr. Berger who has thoughtfully tallied the results so far. But some people are writing, "here are the eleven sets that I have." What good is that? Is there a consensus on a few of the above sets being head and shoulders above the others? Do we need more information from Mr. Chalmers, like what characteristics he is looking for in another set? Just saying ...

MIFrost
Frank Berger
2020-07-16 16:42:38 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Randy Lane
In addition to many already mentioned I add Günter Wand.
Abbado 2
Blomstedt 2
Bohm 3
Bruggen 2
Dausgaard 2
Harnoncourt RCO 2
Harnoncourt BPO 1
Innerseel 4
Maag 1
Marriner 2
Mehta 1
Menuhin EMI 2
Minkowski 2
Sawallisch 3
Stein 1
Vegh 1
Wand 1
I really can't see how we've been helpful to this poster by "recommending" so many sets.
This sort of thread always ends up with just about every
recording by every well-known conductor being recommended.
That's sort of why I started tallying.

This is not directed at Mr. Berger who has thoughtfully
tallied the results so far. But some people are writing,
"here are the eleven sets that I have." What good is that?

I don't think we can go far wrong by assuming the people who
list what they have actually like them.

Is there a consensus on a few of the above sets being head
and shoulders above the others?

No, because people look for different things.

MIFrost
dk
2020-07-17 05:23:46 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
Too bad! One should
listen, not look!

2020-07-16 14:12:13 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
Wolfgang Sawallisch conducting
the Staatskapelle Dresden.
dk
That's my favorite also, but I haven't heard nearly as many sets as others here.

AC
Lawrence Kart
2020-07-16 14:28:52 UTC
The later Maag.
Frank Berger
2020-07-16 15:59:42 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
The later Maag.
I know of only one Maag set.
s***@nycap.rr.com
2020-07-15 23:31:18 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
I have three. The best of them, and the one I recommend, is the Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden set. See the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Complete-Symphonies-Staatskapelle-Dresden/dp/B00DMNMKBE

MIFrost
Raymond Hall
2020-07-17 00:38:16 UTC
I have Bohm, in the Schubert, LvB, Brahms, Mozart box. I only really listen to the 9th now, big band Schubert, nothing really amiss.

Ray Hall, Taree
MELMOTH13
2020-07-16 07:35:24 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
*Menuhin* I (Warner)
*Sawallisch*...
*Vegh*...
*Abbado*...
*Immerseel*...
*Brüggen*...
*Boehm*...
*Harnoncourt II* (BPO)...
dk
2020-07-17 05:20:57 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
*Menuhin* I (Warner)
*Sawallisch*...
*Vegh*...
*Abbado*...
*Immerseel*...
*Brüggen*...
*Boehm*...
*Harnoncourt II* (BPO)...
Keep Sawallisch and throw away
all others. Especially Menuhin.

dk
Yoshiyuki Mukudai
2020-07-17 13:57:33 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
*Menuhin* I (Warner)
*Sawallisch*...
*Vegh*...
*Abbado*...
*Immerseel*...
*Brüggen*...
*Boehm*...
*Harnoncourt II* (BPO)...
Keep Sawallisch and throw away
all others. Especially Menuhin.
dk
Thanks Dan! Menuhin was superb at de-fencing (he is of fencing), but he is not allowed, especially in Unfinished. Shabbath Shalom!
Yoshiyuki Mukudai
dk
2020-07-18 09:30:06 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
*Menuhin* I (Warner)
*Sawallisch*...
*Vegh*...
*Abbado*...
*Immerseel*...
*Brüggen*...
*Boehm*...
*Harnoncourt II* (BPO)...
Keep Sawallisch and throw away
all others. Especially Menuhin.
And check István Kertész with the VPO.
I would still keep Sawallisch however
as my first choice.

2020-07-16 08:36:40 UTC
"Lawrence Chalmers" wrote in message news:e152b027-baf2-4d7d-aa23-***@googlegroups.com...

I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
-----------------------

Abbado has been mentioned already, but I second that. Marriner: same
procedure ;-)
Re HIP recordings: I've always liked Immerseel (Sony) more than Brüggen. But
these days I think Minkowski (naïve) is the one to go for.
Alex Brown
2020-07-16 11:47:28 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
-----------------------
Abbado has been mentioned already, but I second that. Marriner: same
procedure ;-)
Re HIP recordings: I've always liked Immerseel (Sony) more than Brüggen.
But these days I think Minkowski (naïve) is the one to go for.
Seconded on Minkowski - the interesting colours from the woodwind on
those recordings is really nice, esp. in the early symphonies.
- Alex Brown
Me
2020-07-16 12:40:25 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
Harnoncourt and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.

George
Matt Richardson
2020-07-16 14:56:38 UTC
Seems to me they’re all recommendable. Are there any bad Schubert symphony boxes out there?
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-07-16 15:20:35 UTC
On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 07:56:38 -0700 (PDT), Matt Richardson
Seems to me they’re all recommendable. Are there any bad Schubert symphony boxes out there?
Probably, but I am more certain that there are bad Schubert
symphonies. I really avoid listening to 1, 2, 3, 6.
Alex Brown
2020-07-16 16:21:13 UTC
Post by Matt Richardson
Seems to me they’re all recommendable. Are there any bad Schubert symphony boxes out there?
Probably, but I am more certain that there are bad Schubert
symphonies. I really avoid listening to 1, 2, 3, 6.
So the good sets are the ones that make those symphonies interesting
too! Any old duffer can pull off the Unfinished ;-)
- Alex Brown
wkasimer
That's why I recommend Brüggen's set - his 9th is a little weak (mostly an issue of sonics), but there are dozens of great 9th. But he really shines in the "weaker" symphonies.
dk
2020-07-17 05:22:41 UTC
Post by Matt Richardson
Seems to me they’re all recommendable. Are there any bad Schubert symphony boxes out there?
Probably, but I am more certain that there are bad Schubert
symphonies. I really avoid listening to 1, 2, 3, 6.
So the good sets are the ones that make those symphonies interesting
too! Any old duffer can pull off the Unfinished ;-)
?!?!?!? The Unfinished is very difficult
to pull off. Do you conduct by any chance?

dk
Alex Brown
2020-07-16 16:23:13 UTC
Nobody's mentioned Vienna/Muti ...
Randy Lane
2020-07-16 16:32:29 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
Post by Matt Richardson
Seems to me they’re all recommendable. Are there any bad Schubert symphony boxes out there?
Nobody's mentioned Vienna/Muti ...
Seconded - a good set

Also good but unmentioned is Kertész/VPO.

Nobody recommends Karajan/BPO.
I also have sets by Heinz Graf on Kontrapunkt and Roy Goodman on Nimbus. Enjoy parts of them, don't necessarily recommend them.
Matt Richardson
I'll recommend the Karajan/BPO set. It's very good.
Frank Berger
2020-07-16 23:46:16 UTC
Post by Matt Richardson
Post by Randy Lane
Post by Alex Brown
Post by Matt Richardson
Seems to me they’re all recommendable. Are there any bad Schubert symphony boxes out there?
Nobody's mentioned Vienna/Muti ...
Seconded - a good set
Nobody recommends Karajan/BPO.
I'll recommend the Karajan/BPO set. It's very good.
Who knew that the first complete recorded cycle (meaning
1-6,8 and 9) has never been on CD?

Denis Vaughan conducting the Allessandro Scarlatti Orchestra
Naples.

I found this in the following review of Schubert cycles:

https://ionarts.blogspot.com/2018/12/a-survey-of-schubert-symphony-cycles.html
Larry
2020-07-17 15:53:14 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Nobody recommends Karajan/BPO.
I recommend Karajan/BPO in Cage's 4'33".

Larry
Owen
2020-07-19 03:34:34 UTC
Post by Larry
Post by Randy Lane
Nobody recommends Karajan/BPO.
I recommend Karajan/BPO in Cage's 4'33".
That recording suffers from poor sound, and there's too much coughing
from the audience.

2020-07-16 16:42:58 UTC
They have now.
Lawrence Chalmers
2020-07-17 02:01:56 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
On YT I saw 2 videos of the 8 and 9 by Wand and the NDR in 1995 and thought they were marvelous. It's what made me curious about others. If I go with Wand, its with the Cologne Orchestra. Any comments on that? There are other live accounts with NDR but earlier and not all the symphonies. So narrowing it down to Wand,
how does the Cologne set compare to the NDR performances?
msw design
2020-07-17 14:47:16 UTC
Nothing special, grainy sound. IIRC. Koln is not the NDRSO Hamburg. They are not going to match the richness of the latter's sound for a second.
John Fowler
2020-07-17 13:13:41 UTC
Does anyone know if the Marriner complete set of Schubert Symphonies has ever been issued in a space-saving cardboard box?
I hate 6-CD plastic cases with fold-out trays.
Randy Lane
2020-07-17 13:25:48 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Does anyone know if the Marriner complete set of Schubert Symphonies has ever been issued in a space-saving cardboard box?
I hate 6-CD plastic cases with fold-out trays.
Never seen it that way.
I recall it was originally 6 single-CD jewel cases inside an out box. I was grateful it was available in a 6 CD chubby jewel case when I got around ot buying it.
JohnA
2020-07-17 13:46:42 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Does anyone know if the Marriner complete set of Schubert Symphonies has ever been issued in a space-saving cardboard box?
I hate 6-CD plastic cases with fold-out trays.
It was licensed to Newton Classics and issued in a box.

https://www.discogs.com/Schubert-Academy-Of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-Neville-Marriner-The-10-Symphonies/release/4645314

I believe Newton Classics is now defunct.
JohnA
2020-07-17 13:50:22 UTC
Post by JohnA
Post by John Fowler
Does anyone know if the Marriner complete set of Schubert Symphonies has ever been issued in a space-saving cardboard box?
I hate 6-CD plastic cases with fold-out trays.
It was licensed to Newton Classics and issued in a box.
https://www.discogs.com/Schubert-Academy-Of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-Neville-Marriner-The-10-Symphonies/release/4645314
I believe Newton Classics is now defunct.
Oops -- it seems that it was also released by Eloquence in Australia on a 5 CD set:

https://www.discogs.com/Franz-Schubert-Academy-Of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-Sir-Neville-Marriner-Die-10-Symphonien/release/13258881
John Fowler
2020-07-18 15:06:46 UTC
Post by JohnA
https://www.discogs.com/Franz-Schubert-Academy-Of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-Sir-Neville-Marriner-Die-10-Symphonien/release/13258881
Actually that box was issued by Eloquence of Germany, not Eloquence of Australia.
German Eloquence specialized in new remasterings in cardboard boxes (good), but no program notes (bad - especially for Marriner's Schubert). Also for the first time all the music was on 5 CDs, not 6.

German Eloquence also reissued Bohm's Bayreuth Ring. Reviewers on Amazon UK raved about the sound, but it was ignored on US Amazon.
John Fowler
2020-07-18 15:12:47 UTC
UK AMAZON REVIEW OF BOHM'S RING: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-Nibelungen-R-Wagner/dp/B00AX20AHI/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bohm+ring&qid=1595084842&s=music&sr=1-3
US AMAZON REVIEW: https://www.amazon.com/music-rock-classical-pop-jazz/b/?ie=UTF8&node=5174&ref_=sv_dmusic_3
John Fowler
2020-07-18 15:56:17 UTC
US AMAZON REVIEW: https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Nibelungen-Gesamtaufnahme-R-WAGNER/dp/B00AX20AHI/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=bohm+wagner+ring&qid=1595087740&s=music&sr=1-7
Frank Berger
2020-07-19 02:44:02 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Post by JohnA
https://www.discogs.com/Franz-Schubert-Academy-Of-St-Martin-in-the-Fields-Sir-Neville-Marriner-Die-10-Symphonien/release/13258881
Actually that box was issued by Eloquence of Germany, not Eloquence of Australia.
German Eloquence specialized in new remasterings in cardboard boxes (good), but no program notes (bad - especially for Marriner's Schubert). Also for the first time all the music was on 5 CDs, not 6.
German Eloquence also reissued Bohm's Bayreuth Ring. Reviewers on Amazon UK raved about the sound, but it was ignored on US Amazon.
Since when are Amazon reviews worth anything. Half the time
the review is attached to the wrong recording.
Gerard
2020-07-17 15:17:45 UTC

-------------------------------
Sure. By Philips in 2002.
number_six
It could be called a Schu-box.
Larry
2020-07-17 16:15:50 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by John Fowler
Does anyone know if the Marriner complete set of Schubert Symphonies has
ever been issued in a space-saving cardboard box?
I hate 6-CD plastic cases with fold-out trays.
-------------------------------
Sure. By Philips in 2002.
It could be called a Schu-box.
With polished performances?

Larry
wkasimer
And more recently by Newton.
Randy Lane
2020-07-18 01:54:02 UTC
The Newton Marriner box

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AB2FCQ/
Rebuild Queens Hall London
2020-07-17 18:26:27 UTC
Denis Vaughan - Orchestra of Naples on RCA VICS light fresh as a daisy performances.
Frank Berger
2020-07-17 18:52:04 UTC
LP only, right?
Rebuild Queens Hall London
Yes that's right waiting for cd release unless I am mistaken.
Alex Brown
2020-07-18 11:51:35 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I have the Colin Davis/Dresden on RCA but am looking for an alternative.
Denis Vaughan - Orchestra of Naples on RCA VICS light fresh as a daisy performances.
LP only, right?
Yes that's right waiting for cd release unless I am mistaken.
One real sleeper that nobody's mentioned yet is René Köhler with the
Warsaw Philharmonia ...

;-)
John Fowler
2020-07-18 12:35:26 UTC
Marriner Schubert Box with symphonic fragments D708A, D936A (Symphony 10), D729 (Symphony 7), and D615:

--- 1986: Philips original release in two 3 CD plastic boxes + separate booklet in a cardboard slipcase.
--- 2003: Reissued by Philips in 2003 - gray cover - the copies I have seen come packaged in a 6 CD plastic case (boo). Was it later repackaged in a cardboard box?
--- 2011: Reissued by Newton Classics in a 6 CD cardboard box
--- 2013: Reissued by Philips on their German Eloquence label (not the same as the Australian Eloquence label we all know and love), now in a 5 CD cardboard box without a booklet, but it claims to be newly remastered.
https://www.amazon.de/Sinfonien-Eloquence-Limited-Neville-Marriner/dp/B007NUP65Y/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=schubert+marriner&qid=1595075141&s=music&sr=1-2

The 5CD 2013 box has the same music as the earlier 6CD boxes, but in new remasterings.
The German Eloquence label also remastered Bohm's Bayreuth Ring to excellent reviews in England, but I haven't seen any reviews of the German Eloquence Schubert. Both German Eloquence boxes seem to be out-of-print.
Gerard
2020-07-18 14:18:24 UTC
"John Fowler" wrote in message news:8cdb5a82-ad12-467f-951a-***@googlegroups.com...

Marriner Schubert Box with symphonic fragments D708A, D936A (Symphony 10),
D729 (Symphony 7), and D615:

--- 1986: Philips original release in two 3 CD plastic boxes + separate
booklet in a cardboard slipcase.
--- 2003: Reissued by Philips in 2003 - gray cover - the copies I have seen
come packaged in a 6 CD plastic case (boo). Was it later repackaged in a
cardboard box?

It was issued by Philips in 2002 - cardboard box, gray cover, 6 discs in
white envelops.

https://www.amazon.com/Schubert-10-Symphonies-Franz/dp/B00006IU7X/
Randy Lane
I hve that exact issue/cover, and it is not a cardboard box; Amazon even shows it is the exact item I purchased. It is the 6 CD chubby jewel box that is the subject of the original Marriner format complaint here.
Gerard
2020-07-18 17:11:38 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Marriner Schubert Box with symphonic fragments D708A, D936A (Symphony 10),
--- 1986: Philips original release in two 3 CD plastic boxes + separate
booklet in a cardboard slipcase.
--- 2003: Reissued by Philips in 2003 - gray cover - the copies I have seen
come packaged in a 6 CD plastic case (boo). Was it later repackaged in a
cardboard box?
It was issued by Philips in 2002 - cardboard box, gray cover, 6 discs in
white envelops.
https://www.amazon.com/Schubert-10-Symphonies-Franz/dp/B00006IU7X/
I hve that exact issue/cover, and it is not a cardboard box; Amazon even
shows it is the exact item I purchased. It is the 6 CD chubby jewel box
that is the subject of the original Marriner format complaint here.

I have that set in the form of a cardboard box. Bought in a store in Holland
in October 2002. I've never seen another kind of box by Philips.