coronavirus COVID-19
Add Reply
k***@coronavirus.com
2020-04-18 20:57:45 UTC
coronavirus COVID-19
http://www.grex.org/~henced/coronavirus.html
Bozo
2020-04-19 15:06:28 UTC
So many effects :

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/19/arts/music/string-quartet-coronavirus.html
Bozo
2020-04-19 23:08:51 UTC
WAPO newsletter today : https://tinyurl.com/y8oakyka
Frank Berger
2020-04-20 01:52:38 UTC
WAPO newsletter today : https://tinyurl.com/y8oakyka
Did you read the article? It doesn't even assert (let alone with some
kind of source) that Trump knew anything or should have acted sooner
that he has said he did. It simply says CDC and other Americans
(explictly referred to as non-decision makers) were working at the WHO.
It doesn't say who said what or when. This doesn't come close to
passing a smell test.
Bozo
2020-04-22 01:19:23 UTC
Did you read the article?
Yes. It was clear to me. When I read 2 + 2 , I dont need the article to then spell out = 4.
Frank Berger
2020-04-22 01:50:34 UTC
Did you read the article?
Yes. It was clear to me. When I read 2 + 2 , I dont need the article to then spell out = 4.
If you have an open mind, read it again in light of what I said.
Otherwise, never mind.
Bozo
2020-04-22 01:19:51 UTC
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/money/agriculture/2020/04/21/coronavirus-meatpacking-slowdown-force-iowa-pork-producers-euthanize-pigs-covid-19/5164368002/
Bozo
2020-04-22 01:30:28 UTC
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/opinion/columnists/iowa-view/2020/04/20/coronavirus-exposes-issues-our-rickety-food-system/5152291002/
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-04-22 03:59:46 UTC
Post by k***@coronavirus.com
coronavirus COVID-19
http://www.grex.org/~henced/coronavirus.html
President Donald Trump on April 20 resorted to questioning whether a campaign rally he held in March had actually taken place after he was caught in a lie claiming that he hadn’t left the White House in months.
“I don’t know about rallies, I really don’t know about rallies,” Trump said at his press briefing when PBS reporter Yamiche Alcindor mentioned his continued campaign events during the worsening coronavirus pandemic.
“I know one thing, I haven’t left the White House in months, except for a brief moment to give a wonderful ship, the [USNS] Comfort,” he said.
When Alcindor pointed out that he had held a campaign rally on March 3, Trump said: “I don’t know, did I hold a rally? I’m sorry, I hold a rally. Did I hold a rally?”
Trump held five campaign events in February and one in March.
The exchange occurred after Alcindor asked Trump to acknowledge whether he believed his downplaying of coronavirus in the early stages of the outbreak had resulted in people getting sick. She cited an interviewee who said they’d attended a funeral in mid-March and their family members fell ill because they were following cues from the president, who wasn’t taking it seriously, wearing a mask or telling people to stay home.
Trump responded to this question by saying: “A lot of people love Trump, right?” He then patted himself on the back for issuing travel restrictions on China on Jan. 31 and declared that “people should say I acted very early.”
Critics noted that the Jan. 31 move, which banned foreigners who had been in China in the last 14 days from entering the United States, made sense, but required a simultaneous effort to establish widespread testing, equip hospitals with proper medical supplies and limit the spread of the virus.
Yet in late February, Trump labeled the virus a “hoax” during a South Carolina rally. On March 9, when more than 500 people had been diagnosed with COVID-19, he compared coronavirus to the “common flu.”
The outbreak was declared a global pandemic two days later and Trump subsequently canceled his upcoming rallies “out of an abundance of caution.”
Bozo
2020-04-22 13:16:26 UTC
What other countries doing with same info US had / has:

https://tinyurl.com/ydbj9auy

“ So maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that the United States isn’t reducing the spread of the virus as well as many other countries. We don’t seem to be trying as hard.” Leonhardt,NYT.
Frank Berger
2020-04-22 15:17:26 UTC
https://tinyurl.com/ydbj9auy
“ So maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that the United States isn’t reducing the spread of the virus as well as many other countries. We don’t seem to be trying as hard.” Leonhardt,NYT.
The chart does show what you are implying it does. Every country has a
different cycle, depending not only on what and when mitigation measures
were taken, but on other things too, like when tourists went to China or
when Chinese tourists came to them. The total number of cases and
deaths is meaningless. Not that the we couldn't have done better, but
France, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Andorra, Ireland and the UK have more
deaths per million population than the US. No doubt Iran does also, but
their data are bogus.
graham
2020-04-22 15:44:16 UTC
https://tinyurl.com/ydbj9auy
   “ So maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that the United States isn’t
reducing the spread of the virus as well as many other countries. We
don’t seem to be trying as hard.” Leonhardt,NYT.
The chart does show what you are implying it does.  Every country has a
different cycle, depending not only on what and when mitigation measures
were taken, but on other things too, like when tourists went to China or
when Chinese tourists came to them.  The total number of cases and
deaths is meaningless.   Not that the we couldn't have done better, but
France, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Andorra, Ireland and the UK have more
deaths per million population than the US.
But surely this is an apples and oranges argument. The population
density in those countries is much higher than that of the US as a
whole. Wouldn't it be better to compare them with, say, NY alone?
graham
To clarify, I mean the state not the city.
Frank Berger
2020-04-22 18:14:54 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Bozo
[...]
A fair point, but then the population density in NY exceeds any of those
places. I suppose the statistics should be adjusted for population
density. Maybe also for education level, as I would guess the less
educated would be less apt to conform to distancing, wearing masks, etc.
s***@hotmail.com
2020-04-22 15:54:19 UTC
A lot of countries in Europe didn’t get most cases from people traveling to China or from visiting Chinese tourists, but from Italy or Austria. I have read that a lot of cases in New York are due to people traveling from Europe. You could say, Trump closed one door, but let another wide open. In effect so did countries in Europe only monitoring people who had been skiing in Italy but not people skiing across the border in Austria. Many countries have made mistakes. (Of course the virus came to Italy from China in the first place).

But where some countries learned early on from what happened in Italy (and China) others didn’t. (Even if China has kept information from the rest of the world you can still learn from what happened and how it was handled - e.g. see Tomas Pueyo’s article on Medium “Why you must act now”).

As to comparing numbers you might want to read Nate Silvers piece on that (“Coronavirus Case Counts Are Meaningless*”).

Soeren
Gerard
2020-04-22 17:57:28 UTC
https://tinyurl.com/ydbj9auy
“ So maybe we shouldn’t be surprised that the United States isn’t reducing the spread of the virus as well as many other countries. We don’t seem to be trying as hard.” Leonhardt,NYT.
The chart does show what you are implying it does. Every country has a
different cycle, depending not only on what and when mitigation measures
were taken, but on other things too, like when tourists went to China or
when Chinese tourists came to them. The total number of cases and
deaths is meaningless. Not that the we couldn't have done better, but
France, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Andorra, Ireland and the UK have more
deaths per million population than the US. No doubt Iran does also, but
their data are bogus.
The number of deaths is not meaningless at all.
Compare it to China.
China has many, many more inhabitants than the US.
Number of deaths in China: around 46 HUNDRED.
Number of deaths in the USA: around 46 THOUSAND.
Frank Berger
2020-04-22 18:18:24 UTC
Post by Gerard
[...]
I am not surprised that you believe the official Chinese statistics.
And as you tried in your reply to adjust for population, you have made
no sense at all.
Gerard
Which confirms that not only these discussions are meaningless, but specially everything you say.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-04-22 18:35:40 UTC
Post by k***@coronavirus.com
coronavirus COVID-19
http://www.grex.org/~henced/coronavirus.html
Germany’s 16 federal states have made it mandatory for people to wear face masks when they enter shops or board public transport from next Monday.

It was up to each state to decide whether it would insist on mouth-and-nose covering in public, and several of them already mandated masks last week. There are no set rules about what kind of masks they should be – home-made cotton ones are also acceptable as protection.

Johns Hopkins University data shows that as of Wednesday, Germany has 148,704 confirmed coronavirus cases, and 5,100 recorded deaths.

Authorities have stressed that wearing a face mask does not mean people should not stick to social distancing rules — the masks can only help prevent asymptomatic carriers of coronavirus from infecting others.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2020-04-22 18:52:57 UTC
Post by k***@coronavirus.com
coronavirus COVID-19
http://www.grex.org/~henced/coronavirus.html
45 says that when he saw the videos of the protestors to the lockdowns they were all practicing safe distancing rules.(!) That can only mean

1- he is delusionsal and only sees what he wants to see regardless of what is actually occuring or

2 - he is lying which he seems to do every other time he opens his mouth.