Schumann Fantasy
2020-06-20 20:37:23 UTC
I would appreciate if someone could
remind me which Schumann Fantasy
performance is the fastest on
record. I used to know but I
forgot!

TIA

dk
Mandryka
2020-06-21 13:22:20 UTC
I would appreciate if someone could
remind me which Schumann Fantasy
performance is the fastest on
record. I used to know but I
forgot!
TIA
dk
The fastest first movement I know is Kempff in Cologne on this Orfeo CD, the first movement is 10'58''

https://www.orfeo-international.de/pages/cd_c721072i_e.html
Steve Emerson
2020-06-21 17:33:45 UTC
I would appreciate if someone could
remind me which Schumann Fantasy
performance is the fastest on
record. I used to know but I
forgot!
TIA
dk
Fantasy or Toccata?

SE.
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-06-21 18:09:21 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 10:33:45 -0700 (PDT), Steve Emerson
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by dk
I would appreciate if someone could
remind me which Schumann Fantasy
performance is the fastest on
record. I used to know but I
forgot!
TIA
dk
Fantasy or Toccata?
SE.
Horowitz: Simon, you play the Schumann Toccata too fast.
Barere: I can play it even faster.
Mandryka
2020-06-21 19:04:42 UTC
Oh and I thought he was talking about music, and Steve thinks he was talking about the fucking Schumann Toccata.
vhorowitz
2020-06-21 21:10:38 UTC
Yves Nat is under 26:00, so far that’s about the shortest overall timing.
dk
2020-06-29 07:29:11 UTC
Post by vhorowitz
Yves Nat is under 26:00, so far that’s about the shortest overall timing.
Thanks

dk
fomalhaut
2020-07-02 13:27:49 UTC
Post by vhorowitz
Yves Nat is under 26:00, so far that’s about the shortest overall timing.
To my knowledge, two recordings by Yves Nat are (or were) available.

1. A studio recording made in 1952 (before 6 June) in Paris, Salle Adyar, by "Les Discophiles Francais". The label was subsequently baught by EMI-France. The recording was regularily issued, first as LP then as CD.
The Timing is shown as 28:42, 28:43 and 28:45 (CD releases).

2. A live recording originating from a concert given at Paris, Theatre des Champs-Elysees on 17 March 1953 and subsequently broadcast on 31 August 1953. The recording was released on CD in 1987 by the now disappeard label "Montaigne" (TCE 8701). It was also released on CD in 2018 by a small French label, "Forgotten Records" (FR 1513) with the whole concert (Beethoven Appassionata, Chopin Sonata No 2 and Schumann Kinderszcenen).
The timing is shown as 26:31 and 26:33.

fomalhaut

https://forgottenrecords.com/en/catalogue?f=soloist~Nat%2C%20Yves
Frank Berger
Can't connect to forgottenrecords.com. Times out.
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-07-02 15:26:55 UTC
On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 06:27:49 -0700 (PDT), fomalhaut
Post by fomalhaut
[...]
On Spotify, there is a disc where he does the Fantasia, Kinderszenen
and Beethoven's Appasionata in 1 hour. The timings for the Fantasia
are 10:03, 6:45 and 8:59. When you press the credits link it says
Urania, but on the bottom of the cover picture it says SP.

Al Eisner
2020-06-21 22:00:47 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Oh and I thought he was talking about music, and Steve thinks he was talking about the fucking Schumann Toccata.
Well, really fast in the Fantasy would be a travesty of (what I regard
as) Schumann's greatest work. Still, you are being a bit too
harsh on the Toccata. :)
Yes, it's a question of no real musical relevance, especially when discussing a 3-movement work.
j***@gmail.com
2020-07-01 16:28:11 UTC
dk
j***@gmail.com
2020-07-01 16:36:06 UTC
I would appreciate if someone could
remind me which Schumann Fantasy
performance is the fastest on
record. I used to know but I
forgot!
TIA
dk
For a more meaningful comparison in speed, you can try Firkusny's 1949 recording.
Let me know if you can find anyone playing faster in the coda of the second movement. Joe