Another mindless quiz - are these composers real or fake?
Add Reply
Mr. Mike
2019-10-04 15:11:11 UTC
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/real-fake-classical-composer-names/

I didn't like this quiz at all, I gave up about halfway through, after
not having much success.
Andrew Clarke
2019-10-05 21:27:15 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/real-fake-classical-composer-names/
I didn't like this quiz at all, I gave up about halfway through, after
not having much success.
From what I can gather, Classicfm is based on the philosophy of "you don't have to be a 'toff' to listen to classical music" and is dumbed down accordingly. I suppose it's the antithesis of Jeremy 'Grand Tour' Clarkson's dictum that "nobody *really* likes classical music". Definitely for the Andr'e Rieu crowd.

From reading the British media, the problem with the UK at the moment seems to be not excessive nationalism - perhaps they could all do with being a bit more patriotic rather than less - but too much booze, too much violence, too much inverted snobbery and a sense that life isn't worth living unless you're making somebody else feel uncomfortable - the kind of behaviour that makes so many British tourists despised wherever they go.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Bozo
2019-10-05 21:51:38 UTC
... the kind of behaviour that makes so many British tourists despised wherever they go.
I frankly find both the Brits and Aussies wonderful, except for the Brits wanting to serve their bitters and ales at room temp over there , and the Aussies insisting on sending us here mostly Fosters.
Bozo
2019-10-05 22:37:44 UTC

Bob Harper
2019-10-06 01:02:25 UTC
... the kind of behaviour that makes so many British tourists despised wherever they go.
I frankly find both the Brits and Aussies wonderful, except for the Brits wanting to serve their bitters and ales at room temp over there , and the Aussies insisting on sending us here mostly Fosters.
:) My son-in-law, a native Sydneysider, agrees with you in spades about
Fosters. Real swill; like our sending them Bud or Miller Lite.

Bob Harper
Andrew Clarke
2019-10-06 07:31:42 UTC
:) My son-in-law, a native Sydneysider, agrees with you in spades about
Fosters. Real swill; like our sending them Bud or Miller Lite.
Back in the day, what beer you could buy depended to a large extent on which state you lived in, and believe you me, Foster's is Chateau-Neuf du Pape compared to the old Resch's DA in Sydney, or Southwark / West End in Adelaide. Things have changed a lot since, I suppose, the 1980s, so you can buy Hahn's from Western Australia or Boag's from Tasmania which are both fine. Cooper's Sparkling Ale from Adelaide is good stuff too.

It seems to be universally recognised that Foster's is now the lowest of low, even though it used to be an iconic brand.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Andrew Clarke
2019-10-06 07:17:00 UTC
... the kind of behaviour that makes so many British tourists despised wherever they go.
I frankly find both the Brits and Aussies wonderful, except for the Brits wanting to serve their bitters and ales at room temp over there , and the Aussies insisting on sending us here mostly Fosters.
I'm pleased to hear that, Bozo. Perhaps the additional distance and expense of going to the States keeps the Brit hooligans away. They have an evil reputation in Europe.

I did once see a middle aged man in the regulation Brit short-sleeved shirt worn over a beer-pot and shorts, sitting with his wife and obviously spoiled grandchild on a Manley ferry in Sydney Harbour, with his two little legs plonked onto the seat opposite to stop anybody else sitting there, and a sour and defiant expression on his face. I was on the point of asking him which part of England he came from, but restricted myself to saying, very firmly, "excuse me please" at which point he took his feet off the seat with a very bad grace.

We don't do things like that in Australia.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Bozo
2019-10-07 02:38:00 UTC
Sadly must say your description would fit many US tourists as well . The Aussies do seem usually more cheerful. " Grace " is largely a lost art , especially among the top of the political class, although comparing Trump,Johnson and Morrison,Australia may (? ) have gotten the better of that draw. The only beer from " down under " in my out of the way neck of the woods, other than Foster's, is NZ's Steinlager. Been years since I 've had one , but recall it was very good then ; now ? My cheap plonk of the moment is Lindamnn's "Bin 50 Smooth Shiraz", which somehow makes it all the way here, in the shipping containers, still drinkable, although like most plonk probably saved by consisting of much that is not real grape.A 1964 ChateauNeuf was probably the first good wine I ever had, back in 1970, at a college semester in Belgium,where the cheap plonk was " Vin d'Algiers". My budget wont accommodate Penfolds Grange or even their Bin 28, but many expensive wines , while great, dont merit quite the price multiples they command.
Andrew Clarke
2019-10-08 01:26:29 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
We don't do things like that in Australia.
Sadly must say your description would fit many US tourists as well . The Aussies do seem usually more cheerful. " Grace " is largely a lost art , especially among the top of the political class, although comparing Trump,Johnson and Morrison,Australia may (? ) have gotten the better of that draw.
Hard-drinking Aussies and their WAGs usually go on booze cruises or to Fiji. They used to go to Bali as well, but a whole lot of them got blown up in a night club some years ago, so I imagine it's now a more sober destination. Another popular choice is Thailand. Price is a major factor in tourism to/from Australia as you'll be well aware :-(

And yes, on the whole, Australians do still have much of the courtesy and civic-mindedness that used to be found in e.g. the UK sixty years ago, what is traditionally called "doing the right thing". There are two hanging offences in your average Australian suburb: littering and not mowing your lawn. If you accidentally drop a bit of paper on the pavement, it's highly likely that somebody will pick it up and give it back to you.

And it is increasingly a suburban society. Some of the worst social black spots are the result of increasing hard drug use in country towns where there's no work for young people any more, and anyone with ambition has gone to the nearest big city.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
number_six
2019-10-07 18:18:22 UTC
Agree this was lame. I expected a question involving Suk and Blow.
Andrew Clarke
2019-10-08 01:06:09 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Mr. Mike
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/real-fake-classical-composer-names/
I didn't like this quiz at all, I gave up about halfway through, after
not having much success.
Agree this was lame. I expected a question involving Suk and Blow.
Not to mention Fux.

On one occasion the celebrated Antarctic explorer Dr (later Sir) Vivian Fuchs was giving a lecture at a small town in the Scottish Highlands, where the local worthy introducing him insisted on pronouncing his surname to rhyme with "ducks". Finally the man seated next to him could take this no longer, and hissed "For God's sake, man, his name is 'Foox'" "Och", came the reply, "I canna say that, there are ladies present ... "

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Mr. Mike
2019-10-08 04:56:20 UTC
On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 18:06:09 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Clarke
Post by Andrew Clarke
On one occasion the celebrated Antarctic explorer Dr (later Sir) Vivian Fuchs was giving a lecture at a small town in the Scottish Highlands, where the local worthy introducing him insisted on pronouncing his surname to rhyme with "ducks". Finally the man seated next to him could take this no longer, and hissed "For God's sake, man, his name is 'Foox'" "Och", came the reply, "I canna say that, there are ladies present ... "
A friend who worked on a newspaper in England said that they once had
a headline "Sir Vivian Fuchs Off To Pole."