D959...
Add Reply
MELMOTH
2021-09-28 21:46:54 UTC

I have been listening, I living with this sonata for 60 years...
I have never heard such a beautiful vision...Simply
MIRACULOUS...Volodos was that evening in an absolute state of grace...
MELMOTH
2021-09-28 23:01:16 UTC
While I can admire Volodos, I prefer Radu Lupu
Lupu (like Perrahia, with whom he played a lot) is one of the pianists
who have always deeply annoyed me...
I viscerally hate this kind of pianism...
Herman
2021-09-29 07:20:06 UTC
While I can admire Volodos, I prefer Radu Lupu
Lupu [snip] is one of the pianists
who have always deeply annoyed me...
I viscerally hate this kind of pianism...
well, it's your own foot you're shooting, so go ahead.
more Lupu for us...
Mandryka
Well I think if you're going to say that you need to say what "this kind of pianism" is.
Herman
2021-09-29 07:19:05 UTC
Schubert's most overplayed sonata. Horowitz and Rubinstein recorded
it even though they never recorded any other Schubert sonata.
Horowitz and Rubinstein played and recorded the Bflat major, 960 sonata. NOT the A major, 959.

Both also liked to perform some Impromptus.
Ricardo Jimenez
2021-09-29 15:01:00 UTC
Schubert's most overplayed sonata. Horowitz and Rubinstein recorded
it even though they never recorded any other Schubert sonata.
Horowitz and Rubinstein played and recorded the Bflat major, 960 sonata. NOT the A major, 959.
Both also liked to perform some Impromptus.
How embarrassing! I take back my previous comment. In a senior
moment I confused D959 and D960. The great concert performance by
Volodos of D959 on Youtube (not the commercial release) has been
praised and discussed here since it appeared a few years ago.
JohnGavin
Always preferred 959 to 960 but I confess that the last movement always strikes me as being too long. How dare I critique the great Schubert.
Owen
2021-10-04 15:41:08 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Herman
Schubert's most overplayed sonata. Horowitz and Rubinstein recorded
it even though they never recorded any other Schubert sonata.
Horowitz and Rubinstein played and recorded the Bflat major, 960 sonata. NOT the A major, 959.
Both also liked to perform some Impromptus.
How embarrassing! I take back my previous comment. In a senior
moment I confused D959 and D960. The great concert performance by
Volodos of D959 on Youtube (not the commercial release) has been
praised and discussed here since it appeared a few years ago.
Always preferred 959 to 960 but I confess that the last movement always strikes me as being too long. How dare I critique the great Schubert.
Too many notes? Maybe, too many repeats!

To me one of the challenges of playing Schubert is to keep your audience
from becoming bored.

Do not ever admit to a senior moment. People will believe you. You just made a mistake that a young person could have made just as easily. Now if you find you are making mistakes like that often, that's a different story. (But still don't admit anything).
Andy Evans
2021-09-29 08:31:16 UTC

I'm not a special fan of D960 either - I prefer the earlier ones. But do listen to Horowitz live 1953. His interpretation is quite different from the rest - full of charm and interesting pianism. Always been my favourite by a very long way.
HT
2021-09-29 14:39:09 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
I have been listening, I living with this sonata for 60 years...
I have never heard such a beautiful vision...Simply
MIRACULOUS...Volodos was that evening in an absolute state of grace...
While I can admire Volodos, I prefer Radu Lupu. Simpler but beautiful pianism. I find the music unfolds naturally and keeps its shape better. I prefer the piano recording too - less metallic.
Christoph Eschenbach is good in this sonata as well to my ears.
I'm a great fan of Eckardstein's version. It's very down to earth (in a positive sense).

Henk
Chris from Lafayette
2021-09-29 18:42:01 UTC
http://youtu.be/EKmy1CnaKQg
I'm pretty easy to please with performances of the "Big A-major", but Ms. CfL is more particular and will only listen to Serkin for some reason. ;-)
Mandryka
2021-09-30 03:55:48 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
http://youtu.be/EKmy1CnaKQg
The Serkin seems to me to be very good piano playing, but not a very good interpretation. The basic pulse of the first movement is too constant.
Mandryka
2021-09-30 04:01:03 UTC
I’ve gone back to Schnabel. I’d forgotten how good it is!
Chris from Lafayette
2021-09-30 22:18:30 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by Chris from Lafayette
I'm pretty easy to please with performances of the "Big A-major", but Ms. CfL is more particular and will only listen to Serkin for some reason. ;-)
The Serkin seems to me to be very good piano playing, but not a very good interpretation. The basic pulse of the first movement is too constant.
Others might call that Serkin first movement disciplined, rather than "too constant". And perhaps Schubert could use a bit of discipline every so often*. In any case, I think that's exactly what my wife likes about it! ;-)

*My piano teacher used to say that Schubert's problem was that he loved his own melodies too much! ;-)