WAYLTL - December 2020
2020-12-20 22:00:08 UTC
It's December 20 and there isn't a WAYLTL thread for this month. Hmm . . .

Philharmonic Ball

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra / Willi Boskovsky

LIM XR24 019 ℗ 1960 © 2007. CD (XRCD).
Stereo.
Recorded in Sofiensaal, Vienna, Austria, April 28 & 29, and September 17 & 18, 1959.
Producer: John Culshaw.
Recording engineer: James Brown.
Orig. released as Decca SXL 2198.

Reissue credits:
Producer: Winston Ma.
Analog and Digital Mastering.
Mastering engineer: Tohru Kotesu, chief engineer.
Venue: JVC Mastering, Yokohama.
Date: September 27, 2006.
Consultants: Takeshi Tee Fujii and Shizuo Nomiyama.
Special arrangement: FIM cable.
Format: XRCD24.
Replication: JVC, Japan.
Jacket printed in Hong Kong.
Cover design concept: Winston Ma.
Design and execution: Chi Ho Young, Chi Ho Design, Vancouver, B.C.

Special thanks to: LaVelle Leverette, Stephen Greene of UME and Kevin Berg.

℗ © 1960 Decca Music Group Limited.
Licensed by Universal Music Enterprises, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.
Produced and distributed by First Impression Music, Inc., USA.

COMMENT: The best-sounding version of this brilliant album. One of my favorites, an evergreen. In memory of Winston Ma, a tireless advocate for high fidelity. He lived in Redmond, Wash., and passed away in 2016 after a long illness.
Oscar
2020-12-21 03:15:11 UTC
Bruckner: Symphony No.1 in C minor (Linz version, ed. Nowak)

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Herbert von Karajan

DG 2532 062 ℗ © 1982. CD. From out-of-print "Karajan: 1980s" 78CD boxed set (2014).
DDD.
Recorded at the Philharmonie, Berlin, January 1981.
Executive producer: Günther Breest.
Recording producer: Michel Glotz.
Balance engineer: Günther Hermanns.
Editing: Reinhild Schmidt.
Total time: 50:54.

COMMENT: A great version of this oft-dismissed early Bruckner work. The DDD sound on this standard redbook is excellent. My other favorite is Abbado's, his last recording of it. Been revisiting Karajan's '80s recordings lately. Some great. Some trash. Some mediocre. It's Fluffy!
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-12-21 05:45:37 UTC
Post by Oscar
Bruckner: Symphony No.1 in C minor (Linz version, ed. Nowak)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Herbert von Karajan
DG 2532 062 ℗ © 1982. CD. From out-of-print "Karajan: 1980s" 78CD boxed set (2014).
DDD.
Recorded at the Philharmonie, Berlin, January 1981.
Executive producer: Günther Breest.
Recording producer: Michel Glotz.
Balance engineer: Günther Hermanns.
Editing: Reinhild Schmidt.
Total time: 50:54.
COMMENT: A great version of this oft-dismissed early Bruckner work. The DDD sound on this standard redbook is excellent. My other favorite is Abbado's, his last recording of it. Been revisiting Karajan's '80s recordings lately. Some great. Some trash. Some mediocre. It's Fluffy!
Von Fluffy was a very great musician, with his own conception of orchestral texture, smoothed to the consistency of melted caramel.

Ray Hall, Taree
Owen
2020-12-21 17:58:10 UTC
Post by Oscar
Bruckner: Symphony No.1 in C minor (Linz version, ed. Nowak)
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra / Herbert von Karajan
DG 2532 062 ℗ © 1982. CD. From out-of-print "Karajan: 1980s" 78CD boxed set (2014).
DDD.
Recorded at the Philharmonie, Berlin, January 1981.
Executive producer: Günther Breest.
Recording producer: Michel Glotz.
Balance engineer: Günther Hermanns.
Editing: Reinhild Schmidt.
Total time: 50:54.
COMMENT: A great version of this oft-dismissed early Bruckner work. The DDD sound on this standard redbook is excellent. My other favorite is Abbado's, his last recording of it. Been revisiting Karajan's '80s recordings lately. Some great. Some trash. Some mediocre. It's Fluffy!
The old Fluffernutter had the unique ability to make even the stodgiest
music swing like Offenbach's "Can Can." Not sound like, but swing like.
Like all conductors, in some music it worked, in some it didn't.

-Owen
Henk vT
2020-12-21 18:48:03 UTC
Revisiting my Magaloff collection. For starters:
- excellent performances of Debussy, Faure and Ravel
- his La Valse cd, confirming my view that he's a great pianist who doesn't try to make the music (Kreisler's Liebesleid for example) sound better than it is
- Chopin Op. 58 and impromptus and Liszt's sonata - the one I'm imprinted on and still my reference version
- Granados' Goyescas don't come to life, although I cannot understand why not ...

2020-12-21 18:57:06 UTC
Post by Henk vT
- excellent performances of Debussy, Faure and Ravel
- his La Valse cd, confirming my view that he's a great pianist who doesn't try to make the music (Kreisler's Liebesleid for example) sound better than it is
- Chopin Op. 58 and impromptus and Liszt's sonata - the one I'm imprinted on and still my reference version
- Granados' Goyescas don't come to life, although I cannot understand why not ...
Still living in a cave and worshiping
mechanically incompetent pianists?

dk
Henk vT
2020-12-22 20:52:54 UTC
Still living in a cave and worshiping
mechanically incompetent pianists?
No, returning to the cave, a little wiser and sadder.

2020-12-22 22:06:29 UTC
Post by Henk vT
Post by dk
Still living in a cave and worshiping
mechanically incompetent pianists?
No, returning to the cave, a little wiser and sadder.
Henk
Pianist Igor Levit’s latest release which duplicates exactly a recorded program by Paul Jacobs from 40 years ago - the complete Bach-Busoni and Brahms-Busoni Chorale Preludes. Levit is, as would be expected better recorded sound. He’s able to emphasize textural clarity, not an easy job in many of these pieces. A few are too slow for my taste “Herr Gott, nun schleuss den Hummel auf for example. Jacobs is less clean, but captures the sweep better. Levit’s “Wacht Auf” is a bit too dry for my taste, but otherwise it’s very good playing.
number_six
2020-12-29 19:42:08 UTC
Carter - Clarinet Concerto /Symphonia sum fluxae spretiun spei (DG)
concerto features Michael Collins - the clarinetist, for disambiguation purposes
Oliver Knussen conducts

Beethoven - Eroica Var - Brendel (Philips)

Debussy - String Qt, Piano Trio, Deux Danses, Reverie (Chandos)
Brodsky Qt, Bavouzet, and Sioned Williams on harp
superb disk - especially the Danses
Lawrence Chalmers
John McCabe: Concerto for Orchestra and Chagall Windows and Malcom Arnold Philharmonic Concerto all in exciting live performances by the London Philharmonic conducted by George Solti and Bernard Haitink on the LPO's own label.
Chris J.
2020-12-21 13:23:41 UTC
Post by Oscar
It's December 20 and there isn't a WAYLTL thread for this month. Hmm . .
French music fest:

Berlioz, L'Enfance du Christ, Herreweghe et al. (Harmonia Mundi 2CD)

Fauré, Orchestral Music, Plasson / Soloists, Orchestre de Capitole
Toulouse (Erato 2CD)

Fauré & Debussy, Cello Sonatas, Tortelier / Hubeau (Apex)

Saint-Saëns, String Quartets, Quatuor Viotti (Erato)

Saint-Saëns, Symphony No. 3 (Organ), Piano Concerto No. 4, Roth /
Soloists, Les Siècles ((Musicales Actes Sud)

Chris