Google Groups "Reply to author"
Add Reply
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-04-01 12:49:30 UTC
In my interface, "reply to author" is greyed out and mousing over reveals a message that "I do not have permissions" to perform such an action. Does anyone?

I suppose there are privacy reasons for such an action, but in some circumstances, it is best to take a coversation offline.
dk
2021-04-01 19:32:47 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
In my interface, "reply to author" is greyed out and mousing over reveals a
message that "I do not have permissions" to perform such an action. Does
anyone?
I suppose there are privacy reasons for such an action, but in
some circumstances, it is best to take a coversation offline.
Which interface are you using? Just the browser, or do you use
a desktop or mobile newsreader client application? Try replying
to the author on this message -- let's see what happens.

dk
Dan Koren
2021-04-01 19:57:20 UTC
In my interface, "reply to author" is grayed out and mousing
over reveals a message that "I do not have permissions" to
perform such an action. Does anyone?
I suppose there are privacy reasons for such an action, but in
some circumstances, it is best to take a conversation offline.
This appears to be a relatively recent change. I tried "replying
to the author" to someone to whom I sent a message this way
about a month ago, and I ran into the same permissions issue.

2021-04-03 02:09:39 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
In my interface, "reply to author" is grayed out and mousing
over reveals a message that "I do not have permissions" to
perform such an action. Does anyone?
I suppose there are privacy reasons for such an action, but in
some circumstances, it is best to take a conversation offline.
This appears to be a relatively recent change. I tried "replying
to the author" to someone to whom I sent a message this way
about a month ago, and I ran into the same permissions issue.
dk
To reply to the group, below the message text, click Reply all. Compose your replyand thenclick Post Message.
You’re using a Google Account.
Your browser is configured to open mailto links.
In Chrome you can check this at chrome://settings/handlers. Other browsers may have different configuration steps.
You have the Who can view member email addresses permission.
My browser is not set up to try this, but I didn't see where to check
thw permission referred to. But note that I de not subscribe to rmcr
on google groups, since for that I use a real news server - recommended!
Melissa Pawneshing

everything isalllies
2022-01-02 23:37:29 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
[...]
Nope, nothing works, im using chrome, logged in with my gmail account, gmail is the default email handler but "reply to author" is still not available.
I don't even know if my replies are visible to anyone out there.
Frank Berger
2022-01-03 00:06:26 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
[...]
In Google Groups I see no option to reply to author. I use Thunderbird which allow the normal response to the whole group (called "Followup") and and email to the poster only (called "reply"). I used to "reply" often when I meant "followup." I still do it occasionally. As a rule (all rules have exceptions) if a post is to the whole group, so should be the response.

It's so trivial to install and use Thunderbird (and I imagine other news readers), I don't know why anyone would use google groups. To each his own.
everything isalllies
You use Thunderbird? Where do you get the Google group original authors email address from, so that you can use normal email? In google groups there is nothing visible to reply to with email.
Frank Berger
2022-01-03 02:42:30 UTC
Post by everything isalllies
It's so trivial to install and use Thunderbird (and I imagine other news readers), I don't know why anyone would use google groups. To each his own.
<<>>
You use Thunderbird? Where do you get the Google group original authors email address from, so that you can use normal email? In google groups there is nothing visible to reply to with email.
When you read usenet with a newsreader like Thunderbird or something else
the full email address is shown. It's Google's newsreader that doesn't
allow the user to see the full email address.
Using Thunderbird, when I reply (i.e. send an e-mail to a poster) a message window opens with their e-mail address visible. Except yours (there could be others, I haven't checked everyone). I guess you have done something to hide your e-mail address.
MELMOTH
2022-01-04 09:10:42 UTC
http://www.mesnews.net/gb/