Beethoven Eroica Variations Op.35 recommendations?
Add Reply
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-07 14:51:25 UTC
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?

C.
JohnGavin
2020-07-07 15:16:34 UTC
One vote for Gilels (DG)
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-07 15:20:05 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
One vote for Gilels (DG)
Thank you. I'm leaning that way if I can find a reasonably-priced copy..
wkasimer
2020-07-07 15:22:50 UTC
Bruno Leonard Gelber, on Orfeo.
wkasimer
2020-07-07 15:23:25 UTC
Bruno Leonardo Gelber, on Orfeo.
Randy Lane
2020-07-07 15:24:28 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
C.
Absolutely do not miss Gilels. A stunning performance well recorded. My top solo piano CD. Tt is in the box with the sonatas too.

And get Brautigam for a HIP version - he plays with Gilels-like energy. I heard him play it live in San Jose a few years ago. Had me mesmerized; I should have had a designated driver as I was intoxicated when it was over.

Arrau on Philips has always been a fave, having the Arrau trademark depth of feeling, but I don't know if it is available except in boxes. Better than the Philips recording is a 1952 recording on Steinway Legends, but likely hard to find and costly.

My imprint version was Brendel 1964 in the miserable Murray Hill box. In my copy that was one of the only record NOT pressed off-center. How ecstatic I was when Brilliant Classics issued all of his Vanguard, Vox and Turnabout solo recordings in a 35 CD box. And the Eroica Var. was the first CD I pulled form it when it arrived years ago. Again, probably a rarity now.

Don't let the rarities stop you - go get Gilels and Brautigam without hesitation.
number_six
2020-07-07 15:31:18 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
C.
Don't have a rec for LvB op 35, but here's a funny thing --

Yesterday listened to Gilels Schubert D 850 Sonata

Was going to compare him with Brendel, but didn't have time for both.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-07 16:49:25 UTC
Thanks for all the recs. Looks like I'll need to get Gilels, for one. Any thoughts on Richter?

Tx.
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-07-07 16:52:51 UTC
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 08:31:18 -0700 (PDT), number_six
Post by number_six
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
C.
Don't have a rec for LvB op 35, but here's a funny thing --
Yesterday listened to Gilels Schubert D 850 Sonata
Was going to compare him with Brendel, but didn't have time for both.
I just did a Spotify search. They have Glemser, Lortie, Richter,
Brendel, Jandó, Katsaris, Howard, Malltempo, Gilels, Greenberg,
Schubert (Eckehard, I didn't know of his existence before), Curzon,
Perlemuter, Gould, Han, Pontinen, Taverna, Steurer, Frankl, Bingham,
Roberts, Faliks, Korstick, Georgievskaya, Tanyel, Gulda, Petersen and
probably lots more in collections where the word "Eroica" doesn't
appear on the album cover. Are you a glutton for punishment?
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-07 17:01:28 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
I just did a Spotify search. They have Glemser, Lortie, Richter,
Brendel, Jandó, Katsaris, Howard, Malltempo, Gilels, Greenberg,
Schubert (Eckehard, I didn't know of his existence before), Curzon,
Perlemuter, Gould, Han, Pontinen, Taverna, Steurer, Frankl, Bingham,
Roberts, Faliks, Korstick, Georgievskaya, Tanyel, Gulda, Petersen and
probably lots more in collections where the word "Eroica" doesn't
appear on the album cover. Are you a glutton for punishment?
No, that's why I'm asking ofr recs. I'd be sick of the piece by the time I made a mcChoice..

C.
Steve Emerson
2020-07-07 17:54:08 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
Richter is a slam dunk for me. I have two of the several there are, and prefer Salzburg, July 1970. This is generally coupled with his indispensable Schumann Etudes Symphoniques. Olympia, Regis, and Alto have all released.

SE.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-07 18:00:14 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
Richter is a slam dunk for me. I have two of the several there are, and prefer Salzburg, July 1970. This is generally coupled with his indispensable Schumann Etudes Symphoniques. Olympia, Regis, and Alto have all released.
SE.
Thanks very much.

C.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-08 18:25:33 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
Richter is a slam dunk for me. I have two of the several there are, and prefer Salzburg, July 1970. This is generally coupled with his indispensable Schumann Etudes Symphoniques. Olympia, Regis, and Alto have all released.
SE.
SE, I have located (I think) this recording in the Alto edition but am wondering if it's stereo or not;
and what the sound is like, if you have any impressions. Thanks-

C.
Frank Berger
2020-07-08 19:22:31 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
Richter is a slam dunk for me. I have two of the several there are, and prefer Salzburg, July 1970. This is generally coupled with his indispensable Schumann Etudes Symphoniques. Olympia, Regis, and Alto have all released.
SE.
SE, I have located (I think) this recording in the Alto edition but am wondering if it's stereo or not;
and what the sound is like, if you have any impressions. Thanks-
C.
There seem to be 5 different 1970 recordings. The Alto is
from sessions held July 17-19. You can see them here:

https://tinyurl.com/yacpyom2
Mandryka
2020-07-08 19:32:57 UTC
Annie Fischer for the Eroica Variations for me.
Steve Emerson
2020-07-08 19:47:21 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Annie Fischer for the Eroica Variations for me.
What label is that, Howard? Drawing a blank.

thx,
SE.
Frank Berger
ICA
v***@protonmail.com
That's a nice resource, FB- thank you.
Steve Emerson
2020-07-08 19:45:16 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
Richter is a slam dunk for me. I have two of the several there are, and prefer Salzburg, July 1970. This is generally coupled with his indispensable Schumann Etudes Symphoniques. Olympia, Regis, and Alto have all released.
SE.
SE, I have located (I think) this recording in the Alto edition but am wondering if it's stereo or not;
and what the sound is like, if you have any impressions. Thanks-
Stereo, and good sound. Looks like the couplings vary a bit on the Alto, vs. the Olympia. Transfers of the Op 35 (and Op 34) will be the same. Presto Classical has the Alto cheaply, the Olympia via download (FLAC) or CD, both more expensive than the Alto.

SE.
v***@protonmail.com

C.
Mandryka
2020-07-08 20:46:01 UTC
Re Annie Fischer (I cant quote posts on my iPad for some mysterious reason), I found it on this set, widely available on streaming platforms in the UK at least.

https://www.amazon.com/Milestones-Piano-Legend-FISCHER-ANNIE/dp/B01MTD089N/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Annie+Fischer+milestones&qid=1594241056&sr=8-1
Frank Berger
2020-07-08 21:06:21 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Re Annie Fischer (I cant quote posts on my iPad for some mysterious reason), I found it on this set, widely available on streaming platforms in the UK at least.
https://www.amazon.com/Milestones-Piano-Legend-FISCHER-ANNIE/dp/B01MTD089N/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Annie+Fischer+milestones&qid=1594241056&sr=8-1
I don't see op. 35 listed. Maybe I missed it. It wasn't
hard to find this simply by googling "eroica variations
annie fischer."

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Annie-Fischer-Schumann-Beethoven/dp/B006VOX7OK

Available everywhere.
Steve Emerson
2020-07-09 18:32:33 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Re Annie Fischer (I cant quote posts on my iPad for some mysterious reason), I found it on this set, widely available on streaming platforms in the UK at least.
https://www.amazon.com/Milestones-Piano-Legend-FISCHER-ANNIE/dp/B01MTD089N/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Annie+Fischer+milestones&qid=1594241056&sr=8-1
Thanks to you and Frank. (The Eroica Variations in this Membran/Intense Media release are listed as Variations & Fugue. Cryptic listings like "Chopin recital" seem to be a hallmark of theirs.)

I wonder if this and the ICA are even the same. The Intense (Milestones of a Piano Legend) release seems to be mostly EMI stuff but the Brahms and Bartok are likely BBC, which may hint that the two Eroica Variations are the same. Membran just grabbing what they please.

SE.
Mandryka
The timings are almost identical for each variation, so my guess is that ICA and the Milestones are indeed the same.
Frank Berger
2020-07-09 21:58:19 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Mandryka
[...]
Where did you find the track listings (with timings) for the
Milestones box?

Most sources of new CDs show it as out of stock at the
supplier. Often this means it has gone out of print
altogether but who knows, especially in the era of Covid-19?
Used prices are starting to creep up. I recall a situation
like this where I ordered something new from the only vendor
I could find that seemed to have it. They didn't, and by
the time I found out there were no used ones for sale. So I
went ahead and ordered a used Milestones at Amazon even
though there were a couple of new ones offered for about the
same price. Turns out there is a really cheap one offered
on E-bay. Could have paid less. Oh well.
Mandryka
I got the timings for the Milestones box directly from my media server, playing the recording! The ICA timings are on Presto.
MELMOTH13
2020-07-08 21:03:13 UTC
Post by v***@protonmail.com
Thinking of Gilels, or Brendel; any strong recommendations here?
*Gilels*...
*Yudina*...
*Mustonen*...
*Brendel*...
*Gould*...
Neil
2020-07-09 13:51:28 UTC

Carlos
2020-07-12 07:16:57 UTC
Very fond mention of the Schnabel, which I pulled down tonight and enjoyed three times in a row and still feel guilty about not savoring enough! Carlos
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-23 21:17:29 UTC
So far I've gotten the Brendel and Gould recordings, and like the latter *much* better.
Richter and Gilels next, when I've got the money..

C.
Johannes Roehl
2020-07-24 09:56:02 UTC
I love Gould's (the variation disc is one of his best recordings, I think) but he is still "Gouldian", e.g. quite slow, especially in the introduction with the bass. Richter's I find a bit too fierce. Gilels' is not very playful either and a bit severe but also one his best Beethoven, IMO.
v***@protonmail.com
2020-07-24 23:01:59 UTC
Post by Johannes Roehl
I love Gould's (the variation disc is one of his best recordings, I think) but he is still "Gouldian", e.g. quite slow, especially in the introduction with the bass. Richter's I find a bit too fierce. Gilels' is not very playful either and a bit severe but also one his best Beethoven, IMO.
Thanks for this, and agree about GG giving it the treatment; it works very well in this case, I think
(even the staccato melodies, which can be stilted but are sometimes clarifying, as here).

Interesting comment on Richter, who I haven't heard much. That one will likely be next.
fomalhaut
2020-07-24 12:50:00 UTC
By recording date order :

1. Lili Kraus, London 1938/Parlophone

2. Emil Gilels,Ludwigsburg 1980 (Live)/Hänsler Classic

3. Tatiana Nikolaieva, Moscow 1983 (Live)/Olympia

fomalhaut