Maxim Vengerov...
Add Reply
WannabeHurd
2005-11-17 17:18:50 UTC
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-11-17 17:21:12 UTC
"WannabeHurd" <***@yahoo.ca> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:1132247930.163410.195300
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)
WannabeHurd
2005-11-17 17:29:24 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that particular gene, and
give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming a great
violinist himself.
Andy Evans
2005-11-17 17:41:28 UTC
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that particular gene, and

give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming a great
violinist himself. >

Have you read about Isaac Babel who locked himself in the toilet to
avoid violin lessons his dear father pushed him into?
WannabeHurd
2005-11-18 06:13:23 UTC
Who the heck is Isaac Babel? never heard of him.
Andy Evans
2005-11-18 12:42:40 UTC
Paul Ilechko
2005-11-17 22:09:58 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that particular gene, and
give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming a great
violinist himself.
Yes, in fact all Jews are great violinists. Fortunately you can catch
Jewishness by living in the same neighborhood, it's highly infectious.
Bob Lombard
2005-11-17 22:38:59 UTC
Post by Paul Ilechko
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that
particular gene, and
give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming
a great
violinist himself.
Yes, in fact all Jews are great violinists. Fortunately
you can catch Jewishness by living in the same
neighborhood, it's highly infectious.
An analogous infectiousness has been caused by the trend
toward 'mixing' in formally all-black neighborhoods. In this
case it's an enhanced sense of rhythm. There is a similar
tendency in Latino neighborhoods, but the effect is
restricted to rhythms with Moorish antecedents.

All further inquiries should be addressed to Andy Evans, who
has studied the neuroses resulting. As a WASP he is more
objective than Alain D.

bl
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-11-18 01:11:31 UTC
Post by Paul Ilechko
Yes, in fact all Jews are great violinists. Fortunately you can catch
Jewishness by living in the same neighborhood, it's highly infectious.
Q. Why are there so many more great Jewish violinists from Russia than
great Jewish pianists from Russia?

A. Because it's hard to run away from the Cossacks when you're carrying a
piano.
I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)
Dan Koren
2005-11-18 08:51:17 UTC
Post by Paul Ilechko
Yes, in fact all Jews are great violinists. Fortunately you can catch
Jewishness by living in the same neighborhood, it's highly infectious.
Q. Why are there so many more great Jewish violinists from Russia
than great Jewish pianists from Russia?
A. Because it's hard to run away from the Cossacks when you're
carrying a piano.
Then how does one explain the dearth of Jewish sopranos ?!?

dk
James Kahn
2005-11-18 21:01:47 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Paul Ilechko
Yes, in fact all Jews are great violinists. Fortunately you can catch
Jewishness by living in the same neighborhood, it's highly infectious.
Q. Why are there so many more great Jewish violinists from Russia
than great Jewish pianists from Russia?
A. Because it's hard to run away from the Cossacks when you're
carrying a piano.
Then how does one explain the dearth of Jewish sopranos ?!?
They learned to keep quiet! :)
--
Jim
New York, NY
http://www.panix.com/~kahn
l***@yahoo.com
2005-11-18 21:21:32 UTC
DK, this is plainly antisemitic of you to claim a dearth of jewish
sopranos...

you should know better. Some of the greatest sopranos were jewish:
Lotte Schoene, Rosa Raisa and many others.
g***@gmail.com
2017-07-08 09:25:04 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
DK, this is plainly antisemitic of you to claim a dearth of jewish
sopranos...
Lotte Schoene, Rosa Raisa and many others.
Concerning Lotte Schoene, am I the only one who thought of her during the scene in the movie INGLORIOUS BASTERDS where an SS official in 1941 is interrogating a French farmer to see if the farmer is hiding Jews?:

- When France was occupied by the German troups in 1940 Schöne had to take refuge in a small village in the French alps where she kept hiding during the following years.

http://www.operavivra.com/artists/sopranos/lotte-schone/
Herman
2017-07-08 09:44:10 UTC
Concerning Lotte Schoene, am I the only one who thought of her during the scene in the movie INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
yes
dk
2017-07-08 22:00:47 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
DK, this is plainly antisemitic of you to claim a dearth of jewish
sopranos...
Lotte Schoene, Rosa Raisa and many others.
Concerning Lotte Schoene, am I the only one who thought of her during
the scene in the movie INGLORIOUS BASTERDS where an SS official in 1941
- When France was occupied by the German troups in 1940 Schöne had to
take refuge in a small village in the French alps where she kept hiding
during the following years.
http://www.operavivra.com/artists/sopranos/lotte-schone/
Looks like the ***@gmail.com quote bot has been
replaced by a human. Or maybe a more advanced bot.

2022-01-10 07:46:37 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
DK, this is plainly antisemitic of you to claim a dearth of jewish
sopranos...
Lotte Schoene, Rosa Raisa and many others.
Concerning Lotte Schoene, this recent article may be of interest:

https://classicalvoiceamerica.org/2021/03/28/anthology-recaptures-charm-distinction-of-singer-lotte-schoene/

She also recorded Schubert's lied DER HIRT AUF DEM FELSEN:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Grand_Tradition/kBo6AQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%22lotte+schone%22+%22hirt+auf+dem+felsen%22+schubert&dq=%22lotte+schone%22+%22hirt+auf+dem+felsen%22+schubert&printsec=frontcover
Brendan R. Wehrung
2005-11-18 05:35:28 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that particular gene, and
give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming a great
violinist himself.
Can you, perhaps name a few matings of great performers who produced
prodigy superior to them?

There are several father-son pairs, Mozart and Strauss being the most
recognized examples, but they were composers and you are talking about
performers.

Brendan
James Kahn
2005-11-18 05:56:32 UTC
Post by Brendan R. Wehrung
Post by WannabeHurd
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that particular gene, and
give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming a great
violinist himself.
Can you, perhaps name a few matings of great performers who produced
prodigy superior to them?
There are several father-son pairs, Mozart and Strauss being the most
recognized examples, but they were composers and you are talking about
performers.
Dunno about "superior," but Claude Frank and Lillian Kallir produced
Pamela Frank. Rudolf Serkin and Adolf Busch's daughter produced
Peter Serkin. I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities.
http://www.panix.com/~kahn
WannabeHurd
2005-11-18 06:20:11 UTC
Dunno about "superior," but Claude Frank and Lillian Kallir produced Pamela Frank. Rudolf Serkin and Adolf Busch's daughter produced
Peter Serkin. I'm sure there are lots of other possibilities.
There are also other cases where it doesn't work as well: Vladimir
Ashkenazy's son is also pianist, but obviously doesn't have senior's
talent.
graham
2005-11-18 14:29:27 UTC
Post by Brendan R. Wehrung
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that particular gene, and
give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming a great
violinist himself.
Can you, perhaps name a few matings of great performers who produced
prodigy superior to them?
There are several father-son pairs, Mozart and Strauss being the most
recognized examples, but they were composers and you are talking about
performers.
Brendan
Aubrey and Dennis Brain come to mind.

Graham
WannabeHurd
Sorry, not familiar with the names. Are they musicians? which century?
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-11-18 20:48:06 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Post by graham
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
Well yes: if I could *hypothetically* isolate that particular gene,
and give it to my kid, he'd have a greater chance of becoming a
great violinist himself.
Can you, perhaps name a few matings of great performers who produced
prodigy superior to them?
There are several father-son pairs, Mozart and Strauss being the most
recognized examples, but they were composers and you are talking
about performers.
Aubrey and Dennis Brain come to mind.
Sorry, not familiar with the names. Are they musicians? which century?
Horn players ("French horn," if one prefers that silly and geographically
incorrect term), British, last century, father and son. You should try to
hear Dennis' recording of all four concerti by Mozart.
I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)
Philip Peters
2005-11-19 00:46:27 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by WannabeHurd
Post by graham
Post by WannabeHurd
[...]
Actually we in Holland call it *English horn"...

Philip
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-11-19 03:01:04 UTC
Post by Philip Peters
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by WannabeHurd
Post by graham
Aubrey and Dennis Brain come to mind.
Sorry, not familiar with the names. Are they musicians? which century?
Horn players ("French horn," if one prefers that silly and
geographically incorrect term), British, last century, father and son.
You should try to hear Dennis' recording of all four concerti by
Mozart.
Actually we in Holland call it *English horn"...
Then what do you call the cor anglais?
I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)
Philip Peters
2005-11-19 11:47:46 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by Philip Peters
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by WannabeHurd
Post by graham
Aubrey and Dennis Brain come to mind.
Sorry, not familiar with the names. Are they musicians? which century?
Horn players ("French horn," if one prefers that silly and
geographically incorrect term), British, last century, father and son.
You should try to hear Dennis' recording of all four concerti by
Mozart.
Actually we in Holland call it *English horn"...
Then what do you call the cor anglais?
I goggled it. Er... <koff > all my life I have lived with this mistake
apparently. We call a cor anglais a cor anglais or *Engelse hoorn* and
what you call a French horn we call a *Franse hoorn* as well or just
*hoorn* period. My bad. I can be pretty dumb at times.

P.
a***@att.net
2005-11-17 17:35:24 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Does it matter?
Matt,

dont mimimize this issue...... it is very significant:-)

AB
Arietta
2005-11-17 21:31:46 UTC
Hey, is this WannabeFed posting here?
WannabeHurd
2005-11-18 06:10:25 UTC
Post by Arietta
Hey, is this WannabeFed posting here?
Hey, long time no see ;->
You are quite perceptive...
Dan Koren
2005-11-18 08:49:24 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
What is there to wonder about ?!?

Maxim Vengerov is Jewish, pure and simple.

As you probably know, violin playing is a
Jewish monopoly, with a minor franchise to
the Japanese and Koreans.... ;-)

dk
d***@yahoo.com
2005-11-18 13:03:32 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
What is there to wonder about ?!?
Maxim Vengerov is Jewish, pure and simple.
As you probably know, violin playing is a
Jewish monopoly, with a minor franchise to
the Japanese and Koreans.... ;-)
dk
The problem is that DK actually believes this racist crap.

But in any case, he should also allow a minor franchise to Canadian
Mennonites.

TD
Dan Koren
2005-11-18 17:29:29 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Dan Koren
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
What is there to wonder about ?!?
Maxim Vengerov is Jewish, pure and simple.
As you probably know, violin playing is a
Jewish monopoly, with a minor franchise to
the Japanese and Koreans.... ;-)
The problem is that DK actually believes this racist crap.
Can you read smileys?

Oh, I forgot: your eyes do not see anything
smaller than antlers.... ;-)
Post by d***@yahoo.com
But in any case, he should also allow a
minor franchise to Canadian Mennonites.
I'm afraid they'll have to sub-franchise
from the Koreans.... ;-)

dk
d***@yahoo.com
2005-11-19 14:00:20 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
But in any case, he should also allow a
minor franchise to Canadian Mennonites.
I'm afraid they'll have to sub-franchise
from the Koreans.... ;-)
dk

Naturally I can read them. But I choose NOT to read them

They are a poor man's attempt at saying something "funny"
which is not really funny at all. To undercut the intent of the
sentence so as to mute its meaning.

I ignore them utterly.

TD
WannabeHurd
2005-11-18 18:02:45 UTC
[...] As you probably know, violin playing is a Jewish monopoly
Assuming what you say is half-true, is there an explanation? Is it
genetic or cultural?
Dan Koren
2005-11-21 08:25:20 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
[...] As you probably know, violin playing is a Jewish monopoly
Assuming what you say is half-true,
The numbers speak for themselves.
No interpretation is needed ;-)
Post by WannabeHurd
is there an explanation?
Perhaps.
Post by WannabeHurd
Is it genetic or cultural?
More likely the latter ;-)

dk
Richard Schultz
2005-11-20 05:35:13 UTC
In article <***@news.meer.net>, Dan Koren <***@yahoo.com> wrote:

: As you probably know, violin playing is a Jewish monopoly, with a minor
: franchise to the Japanese and Koreans.... ;-)

I don't know about the Koreans, but I thought that it was common knowledge
that the Japanese are descended from the Ten Lost Tribes (Kurosawa even
has a woman wearing a dress with a Star-of-David pattern in _The
Seven Samurai_).

-----
Richard Schultz ***@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
It's a bird, it's a plane -- no, it's Mozart. . .
WannabeHurd
2005-11-20 13:24:01 UTC
Post by Richard Schultz
: As you probably know, violin playing is a Jewish monopoly, with a minor
: franchise to the Japanese and Koreans.... ;-)
I don't know about the Koreans, but I thought that it was common knowledge
that the Japanese are descended from the Ten Lost Tribes (Kurosawa even
has a woman wearing a dress with a Star-of-David pattern in _The
Seven Samurai_).
Yes, but so far, there have been no great violinists coming from Japan.
Lots of good one, but great... I can't think of anyone.

Yo-Yo Ma? Oops, wrong country.
Matthew B. Tepper
2005-11-20 17:04:39 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Post by Richard Schultz
: As you probably know, violin playing is a Jewish monopoly, with a
: minor franchise to the Japanese and Koreans.... ;-)
I don't know about the Koreans, but I thought that it was common
knowledge that the Japanese are descended from the Ten Lost Tribes
(Kurosawa even has a woman wearing a dress with a Star-of-David pattern
in _The Seven Samurai_).
Yes, but so far, there have been no great violinists coming from Japan.
Lots of good one, but great... I can't think of anyone.
Yo-Yo Ma? Oops, wrong country.
Also wrong instrument.

Began restoration work yesterday on my old Lyrita LP of the Finzi Cello
Concerto, which a 24-year-old Ma recorded with Vernon Handley and the RPO.
Fiery and beautifully impetuous playing from him, and it's too bad that he
either won't or isn't allowed to record Realklassik any more. (And bad
arrangements of violin music doesn't count, either.)
I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made. ~ FDR (attrib.)
Richard Schultz
2005-11-21 04:57:46 UTC
In article <***@207.217.125.201>, Matthew B. Tepper <oyþ@earthlink.net> wrote:

: Began restoration work yesterday on my old Lyrita LP of the Finzi Cello
: Concerto, which a 24-year-old Ma recorded with Vernon Handley and the RPO.
: Fiery and beautifully impetuous playing from him, and it's too bad that he
: either won't or isn't allowed to record Realklassik any more. (And bad
: arrangements of violin music doesn't count, either.)

Completely coincidentally, I was listening last night to the Ma/Ax
recording of the Beethoven A major sonata (Op. 69). While I suspect
that it's a performance not to everyone's taste, the two of them are
obviously having so much fun playing that it's hard for me to object.

-----
Richard Schultz ***@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
Just a little music in the night
Makes me want to hold my baby tight.
Mister Mozart, play that melody,
Eine Kleine Nachtmusik for me!
-- Flanders & Swann
Dan Koren
2005-11-21 08:26:38 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Post by Richard Schultz
: As you probably know, violin playing is a Jewish monopoly, with a minor
: franchise to the Japanese and Koreans.... ;-)
I don't know about the Koreans, but I thought that it was common knowledge
that the Japanese are descended from the Ten Lost Tribes (Kurosawa even
has a woman wearing a dress with a Star-of-David pattern in _The
Seven Samurai_).
Yes, but so far, there have been no great violinists coming from Japan.
Lots of good one, but great... I can't think of anyone.
Yo-Yo Ma? Oops, wrong country.
Oops! Wrong instrument.

dk
m***@cloud9.net
2017-07-08 17:22:23 UTC
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Sopranos?

Selma Kurz, Roberta Peters, Bubbles.

Mort Linder
AB
2017-07-08 18:46:37 UTC
Post by m***@cloud9.net
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Sopranos?
Selma Kurz, Roberta Peters, Bubbles.
Mort Linder
add Raskin, Resnik, Tourel

AB
dk
2017-07-08 22:02:21 UTC
Post by m***@cloud9.net
Post by WannabeHurd
Just wondering, does he have Jewish ancestry?
Most great violinists do... I wonder why, BTW.
Sopranos?
Selma Kurz, Roberta Peters, Bubbles.
Fine, but certainly no one at Malibran
or Viardot level. I have not forgotten