Das Lied von der Erde - Schuricht 1939
Albert van der Schoot
2021-01-25 16:09:47 UTC
Dear Larry Friedman,

Are you still around? I just found your post from 18+ years ago. I have identified the woman and am preparing a publication about the incident. I read quite a few (Dutch and German) reports about it, but never saw the 'patently ridiculous' qualifications you mention here. Could you provide their sources?
Forgive me for waking up the canard, I just want to provide it with a historically sound pond to swim in.
Sincerely,
Albert van der Schoot
I would like to point out to anyone who has not heard this recording that
the woman did not "shout out" anything. Her lovely words are said in a
rather low tone, and there is clearly a smile in her voice. Whether this
smile was a pro-Nazi smile or an anti-Nazi smile is anyone's guess. I point
this out because I have heard so many versions of this happening that it has
become patently ridiculous (that she ran up on stage, grabbed Schuricht's
baton, turned to the audience with it and screamed her message while
wielding it - nonsense). The performance is really a very fine one and
worthy of being listened to for more than that momentary interruption, but
since it pops up like a bad penny every couple of months, just listen to the
recording before any inaccurate verbs like "shout" ot "scream" come up
again. It's time to put this canard to sleep.
-L
Incidentally, IIRC this concert, in which Schuricht was filling in for
an indisposed Mengelberg, was a few months after the famous concert at
the Concertgebouw in which Mengelberg conducted the Mahler 4th -- the
one that is preserved on various recordings. There was a lot of
memorable Mahler being performed at the CoA that year, but it would
come to a screeching halt all too soon.
Phil Garon
3mmm
2021-01-27 00:12:08 UTC
On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 08:09:47 -0800 (PST), Albert van der Schoot
Post by Albert van der Schoot
Dear Larry Friedman,
Are you still around? I just found your post from 18+ years ago. I have identified the woman and am preparing a publication about the incident. I read quite a few (Dutch and German) reports about it, but never saw the 'patently ridiculous' qualifications you mention here. Could you provide their sources?
Forgive me for waking up the canard, I just want to provide it with a historically sound pond to swim in.
Sincerely,
Albert van der Schoot
Larry Friedman died in 2020.
A friend