Interview With Marc-André Hamelin
2021-04-04 14:16:48 UTC

RMCR style flame war in the comments comparing the technical abilities
of Hamelin and Horowitz.
JohnGavin
2021-04-04 19:30:45 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/QsT1E9vTWl8
RMCR style flame war in the comments comparing the technical abilities
of Hamelin and Horowitz.
They seem like apples and oranges to me. Different strengths and abilities.
I’d say the fair question would be “Which pianist has given you more satisfaction and pleasure”.
For me, there is more in Hamelin’s discography that I have enjoyed.
Henk vT
Horowitz has always been surrounded by pianists with a great technique. People like Backhaus, Barrere, Busoni, Carreno, Darre, Friedman, Godowsky, Hofmann, Joyce,
Henk vT
2021-04-04 20:16:33 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/QsT1E9vTWl8
RMCR style flame war in the comments comparing the technical abilities
of Hamelin and Horowitz.
They seem like apples and oranges to me. Different strengths and abilities.
I’d say the fair question would be “Which pianist has given you more satisfaction and pleasure”.
For me, there is more in Hamelin’s discography that I have enjoyed.
Horowitz has always been surrounded by pianists with a great technique. People like Backhaus, Barrere, Busoni, Carreno, Darre, Friedman, Godowsky, Hofmann, Joyce, etc.

Even today, pianists like Argerich believe that he is exceptional - not for his technique but for his interpretations. And that's why prefer him to Hamelin.

2021-04-04 20:28:06 UTC
Post by Henk vT
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/QsT1E9vTWl8
RMCR style flame war in the comments comparing the technical abilities
of Hamelin and Horowitz.
They seem like apples and oranges to me. Different strengths and abilities.
I’d say the fair question would be “Which pianist has given you more satisfaction and pleasure”.
For me, there is more in Hamelin’s discography that I have enjoyed.
Horowitz has always been surrounded by pianists with a great technique. People like Backhaus, Barrere, Busoni, Carreno, Darre, Friedman, Godowsky, Hofmann, Joyce, etc.
Even today, pianists like Argerich believe that he is exceptional - not for his technique but for his interpretations. And that's why prefer him to Hamelin.
Henk
I would agree regarding his exceptional abilities, but would say that it depended on the composer and the composition. At other times his playing could be calculated and mannered. But, having seen both Horowitz and Hamelin live, I would admit that Horowitz is the more electrical, charismatic stage performer.
Bob Harper
2021-04-04 21:53:45 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Henk vT
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/QsT1E9vTWl8
[...]
I've met Hamelin while sellling CDs for him to sign at Oregon Symphony
concerts. He is as down to earth as they come. From what I've read, that
would NOT do to describe Horowitz.