Pauline Oliveros
Add Reply
Mandryka
2021-03-28 05:14:05 UTC
The more I think about it, the more this woman seems like a great great composer. Anyone here explored he music?

Listening to Ghostdance as I type.
Tatonik
2021-03-28 16:23:42 UTC
Post by Mandryka
The more I think about it, the more this woman seems like a great
great composer. Anyone here explored he music?
Listening to Ghostdance as I type.
The only album of hers that I own is Deep Listening, a series of
improvisations inside a cistern. I know I've heard some of her earlier
works, but I can't remember which ones. I'm pretty sure I participated
in a performance of at least one of them in college.

She might be considered of the school of composers who would eschew the
concept of greatness.

I'll try to check out Ghostdance.
number_six
2021-03-28 20:45:39 UTC
Post by Tatonik
Post by Mandryka
The more I think about it, the more this woman seems like a great
great composer. Anyone here explored he music?
Listening to Ghostdance as I type.
The only album of hers that I own is Deep Listening, a series of
improvisations inside a cistern. I know I've heard some of her earlier
works, but I can't remember which ones. I'm pretty sure I participated
in a performance of at least one of them in college.
She might be considered of the school of composers who would eschew the
concept of greatness.
I'll try to check out Ghostdance.
I have just two Oliveros CDs -- Deep Listening (on New Albion), which you mentioned, and The Roots of the Moment (on the Hat label).

First heard her music on John Schaefer's radio show, mid to late 80s.
Todd Michel McComb
2021-03-28 20:53:13 UTC
Post by Tatonik
The only album of hers that I own is Deep Listening, a series of
improvisations inside a cistern.
I'm pretty sure I've already noted the two improvised albums by/with
her that I find especially notable... _Phase/transitions_ CDx3 on
Pogus & _Nessuno_ recorded live by AngelicA out of Italy....
Mandryka
2021-03-28 21:25:33 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Post by Tatonik
The only album of hers that I own is Deep Listening, a series of
improvisations inside a cistern.
I'm pretty sure I've already noted the two improvised albums by/with
her that I find especially notable... _Phase/transitions_ CDx3 on
Pogus & _Nessuno_ recorded live by AngelicA out of Italy....
Nessuno is wonderful, I’ll try to hear the other soon.

After making the OP here I really enjoyed Sound Geometries. Does anyone know what it is? I mean, what does the score look like? A poem?

Strangely the one that so many people seem to like, Deep Listening, I find comparatively meh. And normally I’m quite open to music that is static.

Another one I’ve enjoyed is Crone Music. And some of the electronic pieces - I of IV maybe.
Todd Michel McComb
2021-03-28 21:37:09 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Strangely the one that so many people seem to like, Deep Listening,
I find comparatively meh. And normally I'm quite open to music
that is static.
Well, basically, it was such an influential "experimental result"
that so many people have done similar things, including Oliveros
herself, coming to do it better....
Todd Michel McComb
2021-03-28 21:38:50 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Well, basically, it was such an influential "experimental result"
that so many people have done similar things, including Oliveros
herself, coming to do it better....
And perhaps I should add, if you haven't visited the Pogus site (&
I'm guessing you haven't), you will find many of these followups
there....
number_six
2021-03-28 22:35:37 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Strangely the one that so many people seem to like, Deep Listening, I find comparatively meh.
I really haven't kept up with her output over the years.

Still, I hope Melmoth -- who complained there was not enough discussion here of contemporary music -- reads this thread

At his listening post in the ramparts of his schloss, maybe Oliveros can resonate.
Lawrence Chalmers
2021-03-29 16:05:50 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Mandryka
Strangely the one that so many people seem to like, Deep Listening, I find comparatively meh.
I really haven't kept up with her output over the years.
Still, I hope Melmoth -- who complained there was not enough discussion here of contemporary music -- reads this thread
At his listening post in the ramparts of his schloss, maybe Oliveros can resonate.
I really enjoy and have in my collection some of her earlier electronic compositions. For those interested in that genre I would recommend a composition called I of IV. I initially encountered it on a Columbia Odyssey lp (that had Steve Reich's "Come Out"}. A fuller more complete version (?)
is on Pogus.
Mandryka
2021-04-05 17:26:57 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Post by Tatonik
The only album of hers that I own is Deep Listening, a series of
improvisations inside a cistern.
I'm pretty sure I've already noted the two improvised albums by/with
her that I find especially notable... _Phase/transitions_ CDx3 on
Pogus & _Nessuno_ recorded live by AngelicA out of Italy....
This with the same team supplemented by the interesting Francisco Lopez. I don't know if I don't prefer it to Phase/Transitions (I know you're the sort of guy isn't phased by double negatives though!)

http://www.pogus.com/21059.html
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-05 17:48:22 UTC
Post by Mandryka
This with the same team supplemented by the interesting Francisco Lopez.
I don't know if I don't prefer it to Phase/Transitions (I know you're
the sort of guy isn't phased by double negatives though!)
http://www.pogus.com/21059.html
I guess I didn't notice this because it's composed music (& my
enthusiasm for the triple album has grown over the years...). Did
you download it? I just get some screwy popup when I try & it
doesn't let me do anything else....
Mandryka
2021-04-05 19:12:14 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Post by Mandryka
This with the same team supplemented by the interesting Francisco Lopez.
I don't know if I don't prefer it to Phase/Transitions (I know you're
the sort of guy isn't phased by double negatives though!)
http://www.pogus.com/21059.html
I guess I didn't notice this because it's composed music (& my
enthusiasm for the triple album has grown over the years...). Did
you download it? I just get some screwy popup when I try & it
doesn't let me do anything else....
No, it’s on Spotify and Qobuz here.

What do you make of Francisco Lopez? He has an enormous output.
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-05 19:20:53 UTC
No, it's on Spotify and Qobuz here.
Oh, I see Qobuz has it for sale as a download... doesn't come up
in a general web search, unfortunately. I prefer buying from the
musician/label, but it seems their setup is broken....
What do you make of Francisco Lopez? He has an enormous output.
Doesn't ring a bell right now. I guess we'll see.
Mandryka
Be prepared for a challenge
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-05 20:50:58 UTC
Post by Mandryka
What do you make of Francisco Lopez? He has an enormous output.
I do think he adds another sort of vibe to the proceedings, more
spacious per se (v. "outer space").... I'll have to keep an ear
out....

His tracks kinda reminds me of this, among albums that've been on
heavy rotation for me:

https://ernestorodrigues.bandcamp.com/album/sitsa

(A composer it occurs to me that you might enjoy in this general
vein is Eric La Casa, if you haven't noticed him....)

I find that _Quartet for the End of Space_ comes off as "more
preliminary" than _Phase/transitions_, though, which is often the
(perhaps paradoxical) way that I feel about composed music in this
arena, i.e. as a gateway to something more.

Steve Emerson
2021-03-31 15:19:36 UTC
Post by Mandryka
The more I think about it, the more this woman seems like a great great composer. Anyone here explored he music?
Listening to Ghostdance as I type.
Nice 1960s photo in NY Times piece on the collapse of Mills. I seem to remember photos of her with a giant accordion. A wonderful figure; very little familiarity with her work, unfortunately.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/30/arts/music/mills-college-music.html

SE.