"Mainstream" vs "HIPpish"? Was: Favorite Beethoven Symphony sets
Chris J.
2021-01-22 09:55:32 UTC
Mainstream - Karajan 1960s. Kind of a clichéd choice, but for a good
reason. The #6 is a dud though.
"HIP" ish - The recent Ádám Fischer set with the Danish CO is a lot of
fun, possibly too much fun.
But isn't "HIPpish" the new "mainstream"?
Almost all more or less recent Beethoven symphonic sets I've heard are,
at least to some degree, "HIPpish" (or HIP).

Chris J.
Bob Harper
2021-01-22 17:57:51 UTC
Post by Chris J.
Mainstream - Karajan 1960s. Kind of a clichéd choice, but for a good
reason. The #6 is a dud though.
"HIP" ish - The recent Ádám Fischer set with the Danish CO is a lot of
fun, possibly too much fun.
But isn't "HIPpish" the new "mainstream"?
Almost all more or less recent Beethoven symphonic sets I've heard are,
at least to some degree, "HIPpish" (or HIP).
Chris J.
I suppose Thielemann is an exception (by report; I've not heard it) but
otherwise I'd say you're right--unfortunately :).

Bob Harper
Chris from Lafayette
Vanska/Minnesota? (Maybe that's not recent enough?) I see that Janowski is embarked on a new cycle on the Pentatone label. We'll have to see how much HIP influence there is in that cycle - I haven't heard any of it myself yet. (I'm hoping little to none - his Bruckner cycle with the OSR of all orchestras was surprisingly good IMHO - maybe I'm just influenced by its MCh sound - LOL!) I also haven't heard any of the Rattle/BPO set either, although I have my suspicions that the HIP influence may be stronger there.
Gerard
Nelsons (VPO, DG) isn't recent enough?
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-23 23:08:25 UTC
Good example - I haven't heard any of that set myself however. But at least a few conductors are willing to keep the HIP contagion at bay, even in these troubled times! ;-)
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-25 23:39:42 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Chris from Lafayette
Vanska/Minnesota? (Maybe that's not recent enough?) I see that Janowski is embarked on a new cycle on the Pentatone label. We'll have to see how much HIP influence there is in that cycle - I haven't heard any of it myself yet. (I'm hoping little to none - his Bruckner cycle with the OSR of all orchestras was surprisingly good IMHO - maybe I'm just influenced by its MCh sound - LOL!) I also haven't heard any of the Rattle/BPO set either, although I have my suspicions that the HIP influence may be stronger there.
Nelsons (VPO, DG) isn't recent enough?
Good example - I haven't heard any of that set myself however. But at least a few conductors are willing to keep the HIP contagion at bay, even in these troubled times! ;-)
You might want to make an exception for the Anima Eterna / Jos van Immerseel recording of Beethoven's Fifth. A revelation. The rest of the set ain't bad either.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra