Peter Maag discography
2012-01-03 21:48:48 UTC
Does anyone know of a "definitive" discography of recordings by Peter
Maag?
Are his Decca recordings sufficient to be fully satisfied with should
Universal see fit some day to give us a box with all of his Deccca
recordings?
I have never owned any of his Decca recordings that have NOT been
first-rate; every artist has duds, but I've yet to encounter a Maag
dud. But I know I only own a smattering of his recordings, and mostly
the most highly praised ones at that, so I am sure there are some duds
out there.
pianomaven
2012-01-03 23:23:11 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Does anyone know of a "definitive" discography of recordings by Peter
Maag?
Are his Decca recordings sufficient to be fully satisfied with should
Universal see fit some day to give us a box with all of his Deccca
recordings?
I have never owned any of his Decca recordings that have NOT been
first-rate; every artist has duds, but I've yet to encounter a Maag
dud. But I know I only own a smattering of his recordings, and mostly
the most highly praised ones at that, so I am sure there are some duds
out there.
Check on www.buywell.com. You should find all the Decca Maag
recordings your heart might desire.

TD
rkhalona
2012-01-04 00:39:54 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Does anyone know of a "definitive" discography of recordings by Peter
Maag?
Are his Decca recordings sufficient to be fully satisfied with should
Universal see fit some day to give us a box with all of his Deccca
recordings?
I have never owned any of his Decca recordings that have NOT been
first-rate; every artist has duds, but I've yet to encounter a Maag
dud. But I know I only own a smattering of his recordings, and mostly
the most highly praised ones at that, so I am sure there are some duds
out there.
BTW, there appears to be a discography in progress here

http://www.peter-maag.com/en/discography/

Maag also did a wonderful recording of Dvorak's Violin Concerto with
Edith Peinemann for DG.

RK
rkhalona
2012-01-04 00:33:06 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Does anyone know of a "definitive" discography of recordings by Peter
Maag?
Are his Decca recordings sufficient to be fully satisfied with should
Universal see fit some day to give us a box with all of his Deccca
recordings?
I have never owned any of his Decca recordings that have NOT been
first-rate; every artist has duds, but I've yet to encounter a Maag
dud. But I know I only own a smattering of his recordings, and mostly
the most highly praised ones at that, so I am sure there are some duds
out there.
Ah, another Maag fan. Maag recorded for Decca (Mozart, Mendelssohn,
Verdi's Luisa Miller, Rossini,etc.), for Vox (all the Schubert
symphonies plus the complete Rosamunde with the Philharmonia Hungarica
and some Mozart symphonies, piano concertos with Walter Klien and the
complete Masonic music and the Vienna Volksoper Orchester), for Denon
and also for Arts at the end of his career (the Beethoven symphonies,
the Mendelssohn symphonies, live Brahms, several Mozart symphonies,
Gluck's Orpheo, a live Marriage of Figaro, etc.) I have yet to find
a recording that I did not find noteworthy, although some are better
than others.
His early records of Mendelssohn and Mozart for Decca are superb (his
recordings of symphonies Nos. 32 and 38 have not been bettered, IMO).
Quite a strange bird Maag was, but I enjoy his recordings a great
deal.

RK
EM
2012-01-04 18:51:37 UTC
Post by rkhalona
Maag recorded for Decca (Mozart, Mendelssohn,
Verdi's Luisa Miller, Rossini,etc.), for Vox (all the Schubert
symphonies plus the complete Rosamunde with the Philharmonia Hungarica
and some Mozart symphonies, piano concertos with Walter Klien and the
complete Masonic music and the Vienna Volksoper Orchester), for Denon
and also for Arts at the end of his career (...)
For Conifer Records: Martinu's Rhapsody-concerto for viola and
orchestra (with Rifka Golani and the Bern Symphony Orchestra).

EM
Семенов Максим
2012-01-04 22:34:17 UTC
Post by EM
Post by rkhalona
Maag recorded for Decca (Mozart, Mendelssohn,
Verdi's Luisa Miller, Rossini,etc.), for Vox (all the Schubert
symphonies plus the complete Rosamunde with the Philharmonia Hungarica
and some Mozart symphonies, piano concertos with Walter Klien and the
complete Masonic music and the Vienna Volksoper Orchester), for Denon
and also for Arts at the end of his career (...)
For Conifer Records: Martinu's Rhapsody-concerto for viola and
orchestra (with Rifka Golani and the Bern Symphony Orchestra).
EM
Some (in fact, quite a few) years ago somebody in this group has
mentioned the existence of an unpublished record of Schubert's Ninth
made by Maag with the Berliner Philharmoniker. Has there been any news
about this record since then? I would be highly grateful for any
information.
Семенов Максим
2012-01-04 22:57:50 UTC
Post by EM
Post by rkhalona
Maag recorded for Decca (Mozart, Mendelssohn,
Verdi's Luisa Miller, Rossini,etc.), for Vox (all the Schubert
symphonies plus the complete Rosamunde with the Philharmonia Hungarica
and some Mozart symphonies, piano concertos with Walter Klien and the
complete Masonic music and the Vienna Volksoper Orchester), for Denon
and also for Arts at the end of his career (...)
For Conifer Records: Martinu's Rhapsody-concerto for viola and
orchestra (with Rifka Golani and the Bern Symphony Orchestra).
EM
Some (in fact, quite a few) years ago somebody in this group has
mentioned the existence of an upublished record of Schubert's Ninth
made by Maag with the Berliner Philharmoniker. Has there ever been any

MS
Семенов Максим

MS
Paul Goldstein
2012-01-04 01:18:54 UTC
In article <b8952a98-8008-43db-ac9f-***@f1g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
Randy Lane says...
Post by Randy Lane
Does anyone know of a "definitive" discography of recordings by Peter
Maag?
Are his Decca recordings sufficient to be fully satisfied with should
Universal see fit some day to give us a box with all of his Deccca
recordings?
I have never owned any of his Decca recordings that have NOT been
first-rate; every artist has duds, but I've yet to encounter a Maag
dud. But I know I only own a smattering of his recordings, and mostly
the most highly praised ones at that, so I am sure there are some duds
out there.
Not exactly a dud, but his Decca Rossini disc is rather low-voltage. Do not
overlook his Vox recordings, including a sadly underrated Schubert cycle.
Christopher Howell
2012-01-04 06:59:59 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Does anyone know of a "definitive" discography of recordings by Peter
Maag?
Are his Decca recordings sufficient to be fully satisfied with should
Universal see fit some day to give us a box with all of his Deccca
recordings?
His Decca recordings document his career up to about the early 1960s.
For the remaining 30-40 years of his career he recorded sporadically
for a range of companies, including occasionally Decca again but more
often for smaller companies and, particularly in his last years, with
provincial Italian orchestras (e.g. his Beethoven cycle). A company
called Arts Archive dedicated itself to his posthumous reputation,
negotiating official releases of many of his RAI performances,
including a marvellous Figaro, but this seems to have petered out.
There should be a complete Mozart symphony cycle in the RAI archives
from 1991. So no, the Decca recordings, even if they were all grouped
together, wouldn't give a complete picture at all.

Chris Howell
Matthew B. Tepper
2012-01-04 15:38:49 UTC
Christopher Howell <***@ckhowell.com> appears to have caused the
following letters to be typed in news:f48bd464-fe86-42c2-acce-
Post by Christopher Howell
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
I have one of those Arts Archive CDs, containing Mendelssohn's "Die Erste
Walpurgisnacht" from 1972 and a group of overtures from 1979; it's good.
Read about "Proty" here: http://home.earthlink.net/~oy/proty.html
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
Bob Harper
2012-01-04 15:47:45 UTC
Post by Christopher Howell
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
The late Mozart symphonies on Arts aren't bad either. The Beethoven
cycle is variable, with a good Eroica harmed by over-reverberant sound.
It's been a while since I listened; I'll have to pull it out again.

Bob Harper
Lawrence Kart
2018-10-09 02:55:02 UTC
Post by Christopher Howell
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
I recently found a used copy of his old Vox LP box of late Mozart symphonies with the Philharmonia Hungarica. Not a top-notch orchestra, natch, but Maag's understanding of how these symphonies should go is remarkable -- marvelous music-making.

Larry Kart
g***@gmail.com
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/maag%7Csort:relevance/rec.music.classical.recordings/wqzx5P47QXU/kDShvfVfREQJ
Bob Harper
2018-10-10 20:20:59 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Christopher Howell
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
Maag could be a poster boy for the occasional 'underrated conductor' thread.

Bob Harper

Tassilo
2012-01-04 13:40:28 UTC
This won’t really answer your question, but it may alert the Maag-
ophiles around here to corners of the Maag discography of which they
may be unaware: recordings of six live opera broadcasts. Maag
regularly conducted at the Met in the 1970’s including four Saturday
afternoon broadcasts. Since all Met broadcasts get recorded by
somebody, I’m sure all of these are making the rounds. Since all but
the first one were rebroadcast on Sirius, there’s an even greater
certainty that they’re making the rounds. (The only one I have is the
Don Giovanni broadcast, Siepi’s last: it’s pretty good, but I’ve heard
bejillion performances of Don Giovanni and don’t have a strong
specific recollection of this one.)

Mozart: Die Zauberflöte
Adriana Maliponte, Edda Moser, Stuart Burrows, John Reardon, Hans
Sotin
12/23/1972

Mozart: Don Giovanni
Edda Moser, Pilar Lorengar, Rosalind Elias, George Shirley, Cesare
Siepi, Ezio Flagello
3/3/1973

Mozart: Die Zauberflöte
Anna Moffo, Rita Shane, Luigi Alva, Donald Gramm, Jerome Hines
12/15/1973

Bellini: Norma
Shirley Verrett, Elena Obraztsova, Carlo Cossutta, Paul Plishka
3/17/1979

There are also at least two live recordings of Così with Maag, one a
1968 broadcast from Geneva with a Swiss soprano and a Swiss tenor, the
other an RAI broadcast that’s been released on CD by Arts Music. I've
included a link for the listing at Amazon:

Mozart: Così fan tutte
Lisa della Casa, Biancamaria Casoni, Graziella Sciutti, Eric Tappy,
Claudio Giombi, Paolo Montarsolo
Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
1968

Mozart: Così fan tutte
Teresa Stich-Randall, Janis Martin, Adriana Martino Werner Krenn,
Victor Braun, Carlos Feller
Orchestra e coro di Roma della RAI
Amazon listing: http://tinyurl.com/7l8a2mz

-dg
EM
2012-01-04 18:01:33 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Does anyone know of a "definitive" discography of recordings by Peter
Maag?
There are also cheap DVDs with concert registrations on the
SilverlineClassics label:

Debussy / Spohr / Dvorak
Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune
Concerto No. 1 in C minor for Clarinet and Orchestra
Symphony No. 9 in E minor Op. 95 "New World".
Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana
Conductor: Peter Maag
Soloist: Curzio Petraglio (Clarinet)
Recorded at SSR/RSI, Lugano, Switzerland, 1996
Laufzeit: 83 Min.

Haydn / Rossini / Mozart
Symphony No. 103 in E flat Major "with drum roll"
Il Turco in Italia, Overture
Concerto No. 20 in D minor for Piano and Orchestra K. 466.
Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana
Conductor: Peter Maag
Soloist: Maria Tipo (Piano)
Recorded at SSR/RSI, Lugano, Switzerland, 1992
Laufzeit: 83 Min.

EM