Solemnis...
MELMOTH13
2020-08-23 14:54:31 UTC

I just discovered this Missa Solemnis by George SZELL...
I had goosebumps for 75 minutes !...
Absolutely fabulous !...
Bob Harper
2020-08-23 16:46:54 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
http://youtu.be/4jxYaNFcZgo
I just discovered this Missa Solemnis by George SZELL...
I had goosebumps for 75 minutes !...
Absolutely fabulous !...
Many years ago a friend who used to be a contributor here sent me a CD-R
of this performance. You are correct. In particular, the Gloria simply
explodes from the speakers. No other performance comes close, IMO.

2020-08-23 19:28:03 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
http://youtu.be/4jxYaNFcZgo
I just discovered this Missa Solemnis by George SZELL...
I had goosebumps for 75 minutes !...
Absolutely fabulous !...
Many years ago a friend who used to be a contributor here
sent me a CD-R of this performance. You are correct. In
particular, the Gloria simply explodes from the speakers. No
other performance comes close, IMO.
Bob Harper
This included in a 1997 Cleveland CD Box commemorating
Szell's 100th birthday. Long OOP and no sign of a used one
that I could find.

It was also transferred to CD-R by a defunct Italian outfit
that had several names. Their web site site exists but has
been defunct since 2008. musicinthemail.com or
classicalconducting.com.
Matthew Silverstein
2020-08-24 06:38:16 UTC
Post by MELMOTH13
http://youtu.be/4jxYaNFcZgo
I just discovered this Missa Solemnis by George SZELL...
I had goosebumps for 75 minutes !...
Absolutely fabulous !...
There's no doubt that this is a thrilling performance, but I'm less taken with it than many others here are, largely because the soloists are so disappointing. Some of my favorite music in this piece is for the soloists, and Szell's are . . . less than ideal.

Matty
Bob Harper
2020-08-24 16:38:29 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
Post by MELMOTH13
http://youtu.be/4jxYaNFcZgo
I just discovered this Missa Solemnis by George SZELL...
I had goosebumps for 75 minutes !...
Absolutely fabulous !...
There's no doubt that this is a thrilling performance, but I'm less taken with it than many others here are, largely because the soloists are so disappointing. Some of my favorite music in this piece is for the soloists, and Szell's are . . . less than ideal.
Matty
To whose would you go? Serious question.

Bob Harper
Matthew Silverstein
2020-08-26 04:02:18 UTC
To whose would you go? Serious question.
For the soloists, Karajan/EMI. I have and enjoy many recordings of this piece, but my three favorites are all HIP or HIP-inflected: Harnoncourt (Warner), Suzuki (BIS), and Gardiner (DG).

Matty
dk

dk
Alex Brown
There's a Celibidache recording!? Where can that be found?
Frank Berger
2020-08-27 22:52:37 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
On Tuesday, August 25, 2020 at 9:02:21 PM UTC-7, Matthew
On Monday, August 24, 2020 at 8:38:34 PM UTC+4, Bob
Post by Bob Harper
To whose would you go? Serious question.
For the soloists, Karajan/EMI. I have and enjoy many
recordings of this piece, but my three favorites are all
HIP or HIP-inflected: Harnoncourt (Warner), Suzuki (BIS),
and Gardiner (DG).
Matty
Celibidache.
dk
There's a Celibidache recording!? Where can that be found?
Pretty sure there's no such thing, but let's await DK's
response.
raymond....@gmail.com
2020-08-28 00:20:04 UTC
Post by Bob Harper
To whose would you go? Serious question.
For the soloists, Karajan/EMI. I have and enjoy many recordings of this piece, but my three favorites are all HIP or HIP-inflected: Harnoncourt (Warner), Suzuki (BIS), and Gardiner (DG).
Matty
Celibidache.
dk
There's a Celibidache recording!? Where can that be found?
On a turntable somewhere in the universe, about to finish playing.

Ray Hall, Taree
Richard Birnie
2020-08-28 10:23:21 UTC
Post by Alex Brown
There's a Celibidache recording!? Where can that be found?
Presumably on a 95+ minutes CD.

Richard Birnie

g***@gmail.com
2020-08-24 07:03:50 UTC