shostakovich
Malcolm Y
2021-10-12 12:57:54 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Barshai/dp/B008GAXUYE/ref=sr_1_209?dchild=1&keywords=shostakovich&qid=1634043358&s=music&sr=1-209

Hi
is this set worth it?
thanks
MELMOTH
2021-10-12 14:20:48 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
https://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Barshai/dp/B008GAXUYE/ref=sr_1_209?dchild=1&keywords=shostakovich&qid=1634043358&s=music&sr=1-209
Hi
is this set worth it?
thanks
Malcolm is back !...I thought that Mr. Jimenez had made him run away
permanently!...
Brilliant has published 6 _indispensable_ box sets :

*Mozart*...
*Beethoven I* (white box)...
*Brahms*...
*CPE Bach*...
*D Scarlatti*...
and *Shostakovich* !...
Al Eisner
2021-10-13 03:38:36 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
https://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-Barshai/dp/B008GAXUYE/ref=sr_1_209?dchild=1&keywords=shostakovich&qid=1634043358&s=music&sr=1-209
Hi
is this set worth it?
thanks
Worth what? Worth owning? Dp you really want that much Shostakovich
all at once, rather than finding out what you like about the composer?
Or worth the $427? That seems expensive for Brilliant Classics. I own
and recommend the Barshai symphonies and the Kuchar jass (etc.) suites,
but those subsets are available (Amazon and Presto) at only 2 or 3
dollars a CD. THe Barshai is an excellent introduction to the
symphonies - it was mine to a number of them - and is consistently
very good, even if not necessarily the "best" for each individual work.
The Kuchar may be as good as it gets for those works. The web page you
linked shows (farther down) the symphony set for $21 - definitely
worth "it". The quartets are another major part of Shostakovich's
works, but I don't know the Rubio versions, and there is no guarantee
you will warm to the works (I definitely have). Note that you can
probably find inexpensive downloads of some other components of the
set at Presto. But the price of the whole box at Amazon seems very
high for a box set these days, and especially so for Brilliant.
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-10-13 04:52:54 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
[...]
The Rubio Quartet do the Shosty Quartets extremely well, in good recording quality. I also recommend Barshai for the symphonies, along with Vassily Petrenko on Naxos.

As you say, the cost mentioned above seems ridiculously high.

2021-10-13 04:54:20 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
[...]
At that price, no. The Barshai recordings of the Symphonies are
excellent, though the (currently, and one hopes temporarily) OOP
Michael Sanderling/Dresden PO recordings are, IMO, finer still, and of
astonishing audio quality. The Rubio set of the Quartets is a good
introduction, but the older Borodin Quartet set of 1-13 on Chandos is
essential, and both the Fitzwilliam and Pacifica have more to say than
the Rubio.

This looks like one of those cases where an item goes OOP and secondary
market sellers attempt to exploit the situation by posting ridiculous
prices. That is their prerogative, but it would be a huge waste of money
to bite, IMO.

2021-10-13 05:37:04 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Malcolm Y
[...]
Bob Harper
Largely agree with Bob (and good to see he's posting! Hope you're doing well).
The Barshai set used to be 50 dollars max. More than that is unnecessary since there are tons of excellent cheap DSCH symphony sets.
For String Quartets I'd recommend the Pacifica set or the 1 -15 Borodin set with Kopelman on first violin.
Bob Harper
2021-10-13 16:36:06 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Malcolm Y
[...]
Better every day, Herman. Just rebuilding my stamina and impatiently
waiting for the hack that I am left with every time I have anything
respiratory to leave me. Thanks for your kind words.

2021-10-13 17:41:19 UTC
Better every day, Herman. Just rebuilding my stamina and impatiently
waiting for the hack that I am left with every time I have anything
respiratory to leave me. Thanks for your kind words.
Bob Harper
Glad to hear this, hopefully you'll be unhackled before winter gets serious.

back to DSCH!
Al Eisner
2021-10-14 05:05:17 UTC
At that price, no. The Barshai recordings of the Symphonies are excellent,
though the (currently, and one hopes temporarily) OOP
Maybe at Amazon, but Presto has it in stock for quick shipment at
$27, still not a bad price.
2021-10-14 20:59:31 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Bob Harper
At that price, no. The Barshai recordings of the Symphonies are
excellent, though the (currently, and one hopes temporarily) OOP
Maybe at Amazon, but Presto has it in stock for quick shipment at
$27, still not a bad price.
I was referring to the Michael Sanderling set, which is indeed OOP at
present. The Shostakovich is all there, but only as downloads.

2021-10-14 21:23:16 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
At that price, no. The Barshai recordings of the Symphonies are excellent, though the (currently, and one hopes temporarily) OOP
Maybe at Amazon, but Presto has it in stock for quick shipment at
$27, still not a bad price.
I was referring to the Michael Sanderling set, which is indeed OOP at present. The Shostakovich is all there, but only as downloads.
Bob Harper
Amazing that such a major (in size, if nothing else) production can go OOP so quickly. There is one on Ebay. Seller is asking $150 + 20 shipping. I would probably go for 80

+20.
Bob Harper
2021-10-14 22:16:05 UTC
Post by Al Eisner
Post by Bob Harper
At that price, no. The Barshai recordings of the Symphonies are
excellent, though the (currently, and one hopes temporarily) OOP
Maybe at Amazon, but Presto has it in stock for quick shipment at
$27, still not a bad price.
I was referring to the Michael Sanderling set, which is indeed OOP at
present. The Shostakovich is all there, but only as downloads.
Bob Harper
Amazing that such a major (in size, if nothing else) production can go
OOP so quickly.  There is one on Ebay.  Seller is asking $150 + 20
shipping. I would probably go for 80
+20.
It is as if the labels press a limited number of CDs, and when those are
sold offer only downloads, which one assumes have a much higher profit
margin.

I'm glad I jumped on the CD set when I did.

Bob Harper

Malcolm Y
I hadn't seen the price!
Herman
2021-10-13 07:22:37 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
I hadn't seen the price!
It's big enough though.
MELMOTH
2021-10-13 07:59:59 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
I hadn't seen the price!
It's big enough though.
I had bought it #60 euros !...
Chris J.
2021-10-13 09:14:09 UTC
I own
and recommend the Barshai symphonies and the Kuchar jazz (etc.) suites,
but those subsets are available (Amazon and Presto) at only 2 or 3
dollars a CD. THe Barshai is an excellent introduction to the
symphonies - it was mine to a number of them - and is consistently very
good, even if not necessarily the "best" for each individual work.
The Kuchar may be as good as it gets for those works. The web page you
linked shows (farther down) the symphony set for $21 - definitely worth
"it". The quartets are another major part of Shostakovich's works, but
I don't know the Rubio versions, and there is no guarantee you will warm
to the works (I definitely have). Note that you can probably find
inexpensive downloads of some other components of the set at Presto.
But the price of the whole box at Amazon seems very high for a box set
these days, and especially so for Brilliant.
Brilliant Classics Catalogue - Shostakovich 20 releases found:

https://www.brilliantclassics.com/catalogues/catalogue/?
q=shostakovich&pagenr=1

The Brilliant Classics site links to suppliers in various countries.

Chris