Kleiber RCO Beethoven 7 (video) gets a licensed CD release
Add Reply
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-01-05 17:04:47 UTC
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JB9P9NZ/?coliid=I2333GRYWOTVK9&colid=3KONVF448TNQL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But on CD only, haha. Due to some sort of licensing issue, the digital download offers a Kubelik 7.

This looks like A Hollywood movie with a few big name stars eating up the casting budget and a characterful assortment of character actors for the other roles. If there is any sign the audio on the Kleiber is better than the audio I ripped from the DVD, I'll be finding out.
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-01-05 17:44:21 UTC
...how well the b-list players fill their rolls.
Alex Brown
2021-01-05 19:44:57 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JB9P9NZ/?coliid=I2333GRYWOTVK9&colid=3KONVF448TNQL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
But on CD only, haha. Due to some sort of licensing issue, the digital download offers a Kubelik 7.
This looks like A Hollywood movie with a few big name stars eating up the casting budget and a characterful assortment of character actors for the other roles. If there is any sign the audio on the Kleiber is better than the audio I ripped from the DVD, I'll be finding out.
I assume the Kleiber would be the same as on the Philips DVD, which is
very nice but didn't offer as I recall anything much different from the
Vienna reading on DGG (except the visuals of course, and I think Kleiber
is an interesting conductor to watch).
- Alex Brown
mswd...@gmail.com
I always thought the VPO recording was too controlled and tense, the RCO one far more graceful. I liked the latter but never warmed to the former. I'll have to check if this memory is true.
mswd...@gmail.com
2021-01-05 20:06:03 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Alex Brown
I assume the Kleiber would be the same as on the Philips DVD, which is
very nice but didn't offer as I recall anything much different from the
Vienna reading on DGG (except the visuals of course, and I think Kleiber
is an interesting conductor to watch).
I always thought the VPO recording was too controlled and tense, the RCO one far more graceful. I liked the latter but never warmed to the former. I'll have to check if this memory is true.
Well, I don't know if my descriptions were accurate or not. But this is where it matters:
movement 4:
RCO: 6:20
VPO: 8:37
Yes, in the video Carlos pretty much burns the house down. Far superior!
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-05 21:12:29 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
RCO: 6:20
VPO: 8:37
Yes, in the video Carlos pretty much burns the house down. Far superior!
Well duh!

Kleiber takes the repeat in his VPO recording and skips the repeat on his live Concertgebouw performance. (Yes, the tempos with the Concertgebouw are slightly faster, but the vast majority of the timing difference is accounted for by his not taking the repeat.)

BTW, is this analysis kind of like your hi-rez analysis in the other thread? ;-)
mswd...@gmail.com